Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is the clone wars series worth watching?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Is the clone wars series worth watching?

GregMD
02.19.2012 , 04:27 PM | #1
I watched the 2003 mini-series and liked it but I watched 2 episodes of the 2005 series and stopped because of how annoying anakin's padawan is. Is it good enough regardless of how annoying she is or is the show just not worth it overall?

Z-ToXiN
02.19.2012 , 05:00 PM | #2
The 2003 Tartakovsky animated series was phenomenal. I just re-watched the first 2 seasons.

If you mean the CGI series that is still going on, I started watching partway through season 2 and at first I thought it was alright but not particularly good. It does get better, season 3 and 4I thought was a lot more interesting - there were some really good 3 or 4 episode story arcs. Theres a lot darker and more serious stuff, and you slowly see how Anakin develops and inches towards his fall towards the dark side. The thing is that there are quite a few weak episodes mixed in with the good ones, so it's overall somewhat inconsistent.

I wouldn't say its terrific, but overall I did like season 3 and season 4 so far - the longer
multi-episode story arcs are the best part I would say.
ADRAAJ
◙ASSASSiN ╚╬╝ THE BASTION ╚╬╝ JuGGERNAUT◙
DECEPTiON HYBRID < ♣ > HYBRID SiN TANK
<JAWA BUNNY RANCH> // MAINTAIN ANARCHY

GregMD
02.19.2012 , 05:10 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Z-ToXiN View Post
The 2003 Tartakovsky animated series was phenomenal. I just re-watched the first 2 seasons.

If you mean the CGI series that is still going on, I started watching partway through season 2 and at first I thought it was alright but not particularly good. It does get better, season 3 and 4I thought was a lot more interesting - there were some really good 3 or 4 episode story arcs. Theres a lot darker and more serious stuff, and you slowly see how Anakin develops and inches towards his fall towards the dark side. The thing is that there are quite a few weak episodes mixed in with the good ones, so it's overall somewhat inconsistent.

I wouldn't say its terrific, but overall I did like season 3 and season 4 so far - the longer
multi-episode story arcs are the best part I would say.
Yeah I already watched every episode of the 2003 one, talking about the CGI one right now. Do you think I should just skip season 1 and 2 or would I miss too much? Cuz I've also heard from other people that season 3 is when it actually starts to get good

Z-ToXiN
02.19.2012 , 06:11 PM | #4
Well, I only started watching near the end of season 2 so I cant tell what you'd miss if you skipped 1 and 2. But I dont feel like I missed anything particularly important to the plots in season 3 and 4. A lot of the episodes or arcs are self-contained, so I wouldn't think you'd miss too much...
ADRAAJ
◙ASSASSiN ╚╬╝ THE BASTION ╚╬╝ JuGGERNAUT◙
DECEPTiON HYBRID < ♣ > HYBRID SiN TANK
<JAWA BUNNY RANCH> // MAINTAIN ANARCHY

ErikModi
02.19.2012 , 06:34 PM | #5
I think the whole thing is great, Ahsoka really develops as a character through the whole series, but especially in Seasons 3 and 4. The whole series gets a lot more grown-up and a lot less "kiddy" in Season 3 and 4, but there are still some great eps in Seasons 1 and 2 (Yoda and the Clone Troopers, the Shinies guarding the listening post in particular.) I'd honestly give the whole series a try.
Jedi vs. Sith, Page 97, column 2, paragraph 4, line 1:

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

Charell
02.19.2012 , 06:44 PM | #6
i think it is worth watching
Jedi Covenent: The Sohn Legacy
Charell SW, Dareo BH , Elleona SI Raliceh JC, Ellensohn RT, Le'pold SM
The Fatman: Coolestjediever JK Ebon Hawk: IA

Artein
02.20.2012 , 01:40 AM | #7
General Krell story arc from this season (episodes 7-10) is the best thing I've seen from Star Wars. Ever.
Of course there are also bad episodes (about Jar Jar or droids) but also very good ones. Of course they're violating the lore here and there.... I look at you Mandalorians! I look at you Ventress!
And you need to remember that it's still a show for kids.
But yeah, I still enjoy it.
War is simply the galaxy's hygiene.

CatoFel
02.20.2012 , 08:06 AM | #8
It depends entirely on opportunity cost. I watch it with a buddy most weeks it's running because, to steal Leia's line, Clone Wars has its moments; not many of them, but it does have them.

It's seriously the most bizarre show I've ever watched. They'll have, say, R2-D2 and 3PO at the spa one week but committing mass murder another. It's a lame kiddie show here, more starkly brutal than most of the films there. If plot holes give you indigestion or high blood pressure, maybe not for you: The average episode has as many as one of the films and that's saying something.

All of the characters are more inane than in the movies except for, amazingly, Anakin, but the B1's really live up to their full comic potential (best character award!). Yoda's voice is terrible and Obi-Wan's super-effeminate (has to be on purpose, some of those lines), especially in space for some reason.

At the end of the day, it's SW, y'know? But the episode that introduces Cad Bane was the first good one, I thought.

Have fun!

P.S. - Anakin does get randomly head-tasered about once or twice a season now. That alone is worth watching for me, personally, dunno how you feel about t.
Harbingers of the Sith'ari
The Ebon Hawk
"Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself."--John Adams

Littlemayhem
02.20.2012 , 10:12 PM | #9
Honestly, I've followed the series since the movie and episode one, and I've loved it. You might not get the last 4-part series, concerning
Spoiler
but other than that you shouldn't really miss alot, unless they care to add more episodes with Fives in them.
"One death is a tragedy, one million deaths are a statistic."
Tarris - Assassin - Jung Ma

AndersonDustin
02.21.2012 , 06:10 AM | #10
It was drawn by Paul Rudish actually (he also did samurai jack, dexters lab, and powerpuff girls). I know this because his mother Jayne and brother Coban (was in a band called the greenskeepers) are long time friends of my family. See Jayne and Coban a lot more b/c he's very busy - but we see him every couple of years. Yes is the answer to your question btw. The new cgi one rules!