Last boss of FE = worst design I've ever seen

So we fought him on HM, and the first 90% of the fight isn't even a challenge. I'm decently geared but nothing amazing, but he could barely touch me the entire time. Last 10% is ridiculously stupid though as it takes precise positioning and timing, and if you mess up, you now have to sit through another borefest of a fight to get back to that point. Not to mention the worst part of it all, if you fall off the ledge, no credit for the quest. Which is a real pain for tanks because the only way we could get to the point where we could knock him off was if I ran near the edge and risked getting pushed over, which was exactly what happened to me.

Seriously, change this fight. this is terrible design.

I think it is one of the few fun fights in entire game..., Also you dont need to get him to edge, you can kick him even he is in the middle of bridge with these bombs that you loot before fight.

IMO Malgus is my favorite FP boss. I killed him like 10 times and never had a problem with being knocked off the ledge. You just have to be more careful when bringing him down for final knock back - move to the side of the stairs before moving down.

Near the ledge there are a few additional steps down. Don't go there, grenades and push backs should be enough to push him off the edge, instead position yourself, so his knockback doesn't throw you down.

Edit: For easy pull @15% I save both my taunts (slacking party members on stairs can be a pain), First I use AOE taunt, run down, then use my second taunt when I'm down the stairs.

Edited by Maaitz

Thank you for your detailed explanation. This does help a lot, there seems to be a few steps that we missed although none of it really seems intuitive (ie. you have to look it up to know what you're doing) which is just as much of a flaw in the boss fight.

As for everyone else, screw you. It's funny how yet again you guys blame the tank when it's just as much everyone else's fault in the party.

Well, after the first attempt you will know he's got knockback, it's quite intuitive to try and nullify that by tanking him with your backs to the wall. The push mechanic at the end isn't very intuitive, I agree, but there are a LOT of hints: the entire flashpoint is full of opportunities to push mobs down to their doom and the Return of the Jedi-style scene before the fight is meant to evoke that scene from the movie where we all know what happens.

Well, after the first attempt you will know he's got knockback, it's quite intuitive to try and nullify that by tanking him with your backs to the wall. The push mechanic at the end isn't very intuitive, I agree, but there are a LOT of hints: the entire flashpoint is full of opportunities to push mobs down to their doom and the Return of the Jedi-style scene before the fight is meant to evoke that scene from the movie where we all know what happens.

Also he gets a buff called "Uneven Focus" or so that even TELLS you in the tooltip that a second knockback will kick him off the ledge...

Not being able to get back in is something they are addressing in an upcoming patch. However getting knocked off is your own fault because if you do it right it'll never happen.

This. I am a tank and run this instance quite often. I've never been knocked off the ledge.

Just don't tank him near the ende. All tank classes have a skill that allows them to subsequently move Malgus towards an edge when he starts to spam his lightning.

Shadow/Assassin: Force Pull

Guardian/Juggernaut: Force Push

Vanguard/Powertech: Harpoon

I see no problem at all repositioning him when its time.

Just don't tank him near the ende. All tank classes have a skill that allows them to subsequently move Malgus towards an edge when he starts to spam his lightning.

Shadow/Assassin: Force Pull

Guardian/Juggernaut: Force Push

Vanguard/Powertech: Harpoon

I see no problem at all repositioning him when its time.

Force Push doesn't affect Malgus that way, it can only be used to actually knock him off. For repositioning him, you must kite him to his place, preferably before the lightning phase (as it's much easier then).

Force Push doesn't affect Malgus that way, it can only be used to actually knock him off. For repositioning him, you must kite him to his place, preferably before the lightning phase (as it's much easier then).

It does, he is just immune to the first knockback thrown at him. Just use the grenade and then Force Push.

It does, he is just immune to the first knockback thrown at him. Just use the grenade and then Force Push.

Needlessly complicated. Kite him to a good position, use grenade then Force Push = profit. No need to waste anyone's grenades on repositioning him.

Its funny how everyone just say "use the grenades and win"

Yesterday we got him very close to the edge nothing that could stop him flying down there..

He starts to channel his lighting.. 4 Grenades, 2 Knockbacks and 1 push later he still was there..fail

took us 4 trys till he actually "moved", cause nothing let him fly.

I love this encounter and I havent seen anyone get pushed off the edge in my party in well over a dozen runs.

Please stop asking for things to be dumbed down, start reading debuffs and use your brain.

Its actually GREAT and fun design.

I havn't seen some get pushed off though once my guildie jumped after him. We still give him crap about it :D

EDIT he did say he kicked his ***** on the way down but couldn't provide screenshots :)

Edited by BMBender

played it last night stayed up till 3:20am he bugged about 5 times along with the star ship fight bugged 3times so 8 deaths and then when he didn't bug me and the tank got blown off teleported out (not dead) wouldn't let us back in and i would have got the columi token :/

So we fought him on HM, and the first 90% of the fight isn't even a challenge. I'm decently geared but nothing amazing, but he could barely touch me the entire time. Last 10% is ridiculously stupid though as it takes precise positioning and timing, and if you mess up, you now have to sit through another borefest of a fight to get back to that point. Not to mention the worst part of it all, if you fall off the ledge, no credit for the quest. Which is a real pain for tanks because the only way we could get to the point where we could knock him off was if I ran near the edge and risked getting pushed over, which was exactly what happened to me.

Seriously, change this fight. this is terrible design.

This is an interesting point.

In the first few lines it states that there is no challenge which needs to be fixed, and then the rest of it indicates that there is a challenge and it needs to be fixed.