Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cover Fix

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

RudeDog
02.20.2012 , 11:58 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Stupiddrummer View Post
Are you using "Take Cover" or "Crouch?" I originally used Take Cover, but i use Crouch now and it has removed all the issues you described. I drop instantly into cover and use my moves.
What is the difference between Crouch and Take Cover. Doesn't both Crouch and Take Cover either drop you into the shield cover or move you behind real cover?

jazzllanna
02.20.2012 , 12:56 PM | #12
Take cover will roll you behind something if its available crouch will only bring up your screen.. I believe you also get more protection if you are behind an object vs your screen.
Wichita Gunslinger
The Harbinger
Spoiler

Stupiddrummer
02.21.2012 , 09:46 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by RudeDog View Post
What is the difference between Crouch and Take Cover. Doesn't both Crouch and Take Cover either drop you into the shield cover or move you behind real cover?
Take Cover either drops your shield where your standing, or rolls you into cover (if you are facing one of those green siloutettes). Crouch just drops your shield where your standing.

If you use Crouch behind cover, you will still get the benefit from being behind cover.

The main reason i switched to Crouch was because Take Cover kept making me roll into cover too close to enemies, causing them to aggro on me. IMO Crouch is just more reliable.

ckoneful
02.21.2012 , 11:47 AM | #14
Take Cover either drops your shield where your standing, or rolls you into cover (if you are facing one of those green siloutettes). Crouch just drops your shield where your standing.

If you use Crouch behind cover, you will still get the benefit from being behind cover.

The main reason i switched to Crouch was because Take Cover kept making me roll into cover too close to enemies, causing them to aggro on me. IMO Crouch is just more reliable.
Just have both, look if there's a green body somewhere and if there is hit the other keybind. Personally I have Take Cover(The one that rolls) on F, and the one that crouches in place on Alt+F.
73% Explorer60% Achiever53% Socializer13% Killer
55 Juggernaut 55 Operative 50 Mercenary 45 Sorceror
11 Sentinel 50 Gunslinger 52 Vanguard 55 Shadow
83% of Class Stories completed

dougan
02.21.2012 , 05:47 PM | #15
I use both. Regardless of which method you use, you're still hitting two buttons to activate one ability.
Dougan

toadskipper
02.21.2012 , 09:23 PM | #16
Or at least reduce the animation times for crouch and sonic blast. They are both way too long!

Stupiddrummer
02.22.2012 , 11:00 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by dougan View Post
I use both. Regardless of which method you use, you're still hitting two buttons to activate one ability.
I see what your saying, but i dont think there is anyway around that. It's a class mechanic. We have moves we can do out of cover, but if you really want to get down to business and lay down some serious dps you have to get into cover.

Its like complaining a stealth class has to go into stealth before they use an stealth-only move.

Personally, i played a druid through most of my WoW experience, so it took almost no adjusting for me to enter into my stationary cat-form to dps.

Moolah
02.22.2012 , 11:31 AM | #18
I see what your saying, but i dont think there is anyway around that. It's a class mechanic. We have moves we can do out of cover, but if you really want to get down to business and lay down some serious dps you have to get into cover.

Its like complaining a stealth class has to go into stealth before they use an stealth-only move.

Personally, i played a druid through most of my WoW experience, so it took almost no adjusting for me to enter into my stationary cat-form to dps.
There is a way around that, the original poster gave the answer - for which I wholeheartedly agree.

Also, even though it has been three years for me since I played WoW, I think I still remember you didnt need to leave cat form first to cast NS+HT.

dougan
02.23.2012 , 03:20 PM | #19
Not really at all.

If I was invisible and mobile in cover you could make this comparison.
Dougan

GeorgZoeller
02.23.2012 , 07:48 PM | #20 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by RudeDog View Post
Take Cover is slightly slower than Crouch as it does several things in series

(1) Validate your selected hard cover spot with the server.
(2) Roll you into any selected spot / slide into selected spot if close
if that fails
(3) Crouch

So, at the minimum, Take Cover will add client server latency on top of your personal reaction time and default ability activation latency.

Both abilities offer the same benefit: If an object interrupts line of sight between you and an enemy, you gain cover benefits against the enemy.

For PvP specifically, where you need precise control of your character, I really recommend using Crouch (default: shift-f) over Take Cover. There's definitely cases where Take Cover is very useful (you can bridge large distances by rolling into cover), but when faced with fast moving enemies that know how to play line of sight or obstacles like The Pit's fires, you're better off and faster using Crouch. It may take a little bit to get used to using both effectively, but it definitely helps.