Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Installation problems

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Xotin
12.15.2011 , 07:57 AM | #1
Hello,

Yesterday I tried to install SWTOR, to have myself ready at the second I get my early access, but you probably already guessed that this did not really go as planned.

The "main assets 1" file downloaded as planned, no problems there. But then it starts installing the file and it gives the much feared "error occurred updating" message.
No problem, I can repair it! Right? Right? .... wrong.
I pressed repair, it started verifying and I get the "File scan and repair completed successfully." message. Then it starts re-downloading the 12Gb file and when it's done I get the same error message during installing over and over and over again...

What am I doing wrong? I had the same problem during the beta weekend, with the result of not being able to play. I did a clean install and my firewall is not interfering with the download/installation process as I have allowed any and all forms of connection the launcher wants to make and neither files (as stated in the troubleshoot) are in the quarantine or delete list.

Thank you for any and all help in advance,

Xotin

Laresh
12.15.2011 , 08:02 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Xotin View Post
Hello,

Yesterday I tried to install SWTOR, to have myself ready at the second I get my early access, but you probably already guessed that this did not really go as planned.

The "main assets 1" file downloaded as planned, no problems there. But then it starts installing the file and it gives the much feared "error occurred updating" message.
No problem, I can repair it! Right? Right? .... wrong.
I pressed repair, it started verifying and I get the "File scan and repair completed successfully." message. Then it starts re-downloading the 12Gb file and when it's done I get the same error message during installing over and over and over again...

What am I doing wrong? I had the same problem during the beta weekend, with the result of not being able to play. I did a clean install and my firewall is not interfering with the download/installation process as I have allowed any and all forms of connection the launcher wants to make and neither files (as stated in the troubleshoot) are in the quarantine or delete list.

Thank you for any and all help in advance,

Xotin
Are you running Windows 7 64 bit?

If so - I saw on the forums during beta that a person was able to get past this error by choosing a custom location, other than the default during the initial install of the launcher, etc. I think they choose something like EAGames and then was able to get past it.

Xotin
12.15.2011 , 12:33 PM | #3
Interesting solution, and yes I do have Win7-64bit
Unfortunately I already use a custom location, so it doesn't work for me

Thanks though!

Xaryell
12.15.2011 , 12:41 PM | #4 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Greetings Xotin,

This issue can sometimes be caused by a corrupt sector on your hard drive. I would recommend running an error check on your drive.

To do so:
  1. Right-click on your drive in ''My Computer'
  2. Select 'Properties
  3. Select the 'Tools' tab
  4. Click 'Check Now' in the Error-checking section.
You should also check that you have launcher to run with Administrative privileges. To do so, right click on the launcher.exe file located by default in:
  • For 32 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\
  • For 64 bit Operating Systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\
I hope this helps.

Xaryell | BioWare Customer Service Forum Support

Xotin
12.16.2011 , 06:40 AM | #5
Hello S1-W7,

Thank you for your reply!

I've Checked my Hard drive, twice. I've checked all boxes so any and all problems would surface, but there were none. To be sure I tried installing SWTOR again (as admin of course), but to no avail.

I've pretty much tried every suggestion I've read on the forum, but nothing works.

Any idea what could be the cause of this problem, other than a hard drive error. Or rather, do you know another possible solution? It would be a real bummer if I couldn't play this game.

Right now I'm downloading the game on my laptop, to see if it works there. I've heard that you can pretty much copy paste the installed folder and that it should work, so my best bet right now lies there.

Greets,

Xotin

Xotin
12.17.2011 , 02:13 PM | #6
My problem has been solved!

I've downloaded and installed all the files on my laptop (which went without any problems whatsoever) and then copied the folder to an external HD and copied it over my folder on the PC.
And it actually worked!

So, for everyone out there that has been unable to install SWTOR:
1. install SWTOR on another PC (or better yet: Find a friend who plays SWTOR as well and has already installed it)
2. Take a copy of the entire "Star Wars-The Old Republic" folder
3. Make sure the folder on your PC has the same name (For some reason it was called "Star Wars - The Old Republic" on my PC and without the spaces before and after the "-" on my laptop. (Did not change any locations so I dunno why this is...)
4. Copy the working folder over your broken folder. Press Yes to all.
5. ???
6. Profit!!

It's really that simple...

And once again thank you BW for your efforts in helping me, good luck with all the others!
And now I'm off geek out and make my character! ^^

Greets,

Xotin