Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can someone please explain to me why SWG was so awesome

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Can someone please explain to me why SWG was so awesome

Nomeld
02.18.2012 , 11:52 AM | #91
pre-cu SWG was a collection of great concepts and ideas but the game itself was broken and bugged to hell.

it was so much more social and PvP was much more personal than any other MMO and I believe thats way it has such a lasting impact on its players.

I think its safe to say that the reason we keep crying a river over it is because nothing has come close to it and probably never will because the concept doesn't agree with the depends of modern MMOs where everything has to be fast and rewarded with "epic lootz"

Ultimately SWG was doomed to fail not because of SOE’s greed or its bugged gameplay but because it was a Starwars game that wasn’t very “starwarsy”, Almost as if the developers got so carried away with all the concepts that they forgot the brand, Lucas Arts said it had to change… so it died.

GlaDOSowen
02.18.2012 , 12:54 PM | #92
Tried the SWG EMU, it was pretty good. Basic, yes, but good (and It's still in beta, so that's not much of a problem). And it's amazing that they reversed engineered the entire Pre-CU (or whatever that horrid update you guys talk about was called) version of SWG
<The Bastion>
Kaiserssk - Sniper

superlizard
02.18.2012 , 01:00 PM | #94
Ultimately SWG was doomed to fail not because of SOE’s greed or its bugged gameplay but because it was a Starwars game that wasn’t very “starwarsy”

I have to totally disagree with this statement. The moment you log into SWG it is walking into the Star Wars world. What isn't anything like Star Wars is SWTOR. Its a linear generic soldier shoot em up game. Doesn't feel like Stars Wars at all.

You had the characters from Star Wars, ships, vehicles, huge cities wasn't alot in SWG that wasn't Star Warsy.

TKMaster
02.19.2012 , 08:45 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by superlizard View Post
Ultimately SWG was doomed to fail not because of SOE’s greed or its bugged gameplay but because it was a Starwars game that wasn’t very “starwarsy”

I have to totally disagree with this statement. The moment you log into SWG it is walking into the Star Wars world. What isn't anything like Star Wars is SWTOR. Its a linear generic soldier shoot em up game. Doesn't feel like Stars Wars at all.

You had the characters from Star Wars, ships, vehicles, huge cities wasn't alot in SWG that wasn't Star Warsy.
I'll give you that...untill you met the community. Names like 'Idid Yourmom', rebel jedi in hotpants dueling in front of 50 stormtrooper NPC's who couldnt touch them because they were "offduty" spaming "pwnt nooobz!!!!!!!! i rapedurface!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lawlalwlawl" 100 times a muinite or having 50 ppl stand in the Lok desert calling 500 blown speeders all at once with macros so they could intentionally crash a server or....well the list goes on and on.

Nope, didnt feel like SW to me after say spring 2004.