Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

*sigh*. . .these kids today. . .

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
*sigh*. . .these kids today. . .

Drahh
02.19.2012 , 02:15 PM | #1
So I was at ToysRus the other day looking to find a great gift for my cousin on her birthday. While looking around I noticed a display of Star Wars toys and above the display was a HD TV playing the new movies on Blu-ray, it was Empire Strikes Back.

In front of the toy display were two kids about 12 or 13 watching the movie. The one kid was asking how and why Luke was able to jump out of the carbonite chamber during the Luke and Vader encounter, while the other kid explained: "It's the force man!"
The other kid replied: "Thats stupid," and just walked off in annoyance while his friend stared at the screen in a trance like state, just excited to be watching the movie, and not giving a crap about all the toys around him.

This actually pissed me off LOL!! So I finally get this Barbie doll for her (I couldnt think of anything ok!? She loved it anyway!!) But as I was walking through the isle I could have sworn the same damn kid who thought Star Wars was stupid was also looking at Twilight toys!!! WT F!!??

Kids today have no imagination anymore. Instead they play video games all day, and watch Twilight movies and listen to the Jonas brothers and crap like that.

Growing up, we'd all pretend to be a char from the movies and run around the woods swinging tree limbs at other peoples faces pretending they were lightsabers, we'd all try to literally hurt each other! lol. Today kids swing around Wii and playstation controlers at the screen. I used to listen to rock music themed on sex, drugs, and violence, now they listen to puppy love bull s hit. Remember when vampire movies involved a sh it ton of blood and actual killing, and not a freaking love story?? After that display I saw in ToysRus. . . some kids just suck today. . .

TalkingDinosaur
02.19.2012 , 02:20 PM | #2
Thank you for sharing. Now excuse me while I go sit in my closet playing with my Monster High action figures.
TALKINGDINOSAUR
Squadron
11-11-11

Morticoccus
02.19.2012 , 02:26 PM | #3
So he thinks the force is stupid but is OK with Twilight?

The book series turned movie series that made a name spitting on everything previously written in the genre, lighting its car on fire and then slipping into the same pathetic love story suit as the new trilogy.
Gotta love people...
When all is said and done we're not the only ones who look at life this way: That's what the Sith lords say.
And if they'd ever change as that reminds to say. But every time I see them makes me wish I had a gun. If I thought that I was crazy well I guess I'd have more fun.

Maaruin
02.19.2012 , 02:33 PM | #4
Wait, one of the kids doesn't like Star Wars and looks for Twillight toys instead and you conclude that all the kids suck today?

I know a family with two boys (13 and 10 years) who love Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, ... They ran around swinging wood limbs (and I did with them ), because they weren't allowed to play Wii all the time. Kids have imagination, but prefere not to use them. And adults are not that different, I think.

You just need parents who:
1) Introduce Star Wars to them.
2) Limit there time with TV, computer, Wii, PS, ...

Kids don't suck today.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

jarjarloves
02.19.2012 , 02:38 PM | #5
that's nothing I was in Toys' R Us just last week buying a present for my Nephew (I love how I have to say that otherwise it's weird that i'm in a toy store) and this mom had her 5 year old by the wrist and said

"We need to hurry up so we can meet Daddy at Hooters for dinner"

when did Hooters become a family restaurant?

Drahh
02.19.2012 , 02:39 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
Wait, one of the kids doesn't like Star Wars and looks for Twillight toys instead and you conclude that all the kids suck today?

I know a family with two boys (13 and 10 years) who love Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, ... They ran around swinging wood limbs (and I did with them ), because they weren't allowed to play Wii all the time. Kids have imagination, but prefere not to use them. And adults are not that different, I think.

Kids don't suck today.

I wasnt comparing kids soley on them not liking star wars. . as I state in the end of my thread.

Drahh
02.19.2012 , 02:40 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
that's nothing I was in Toys' R Us just last week buying a present for my Nephew (I love how I have to say that otherwise it's weird that i'm in a toy store) and this mom had her 5 year old by the wrist and said

"We need to hurry up so we can meet Daddy at Hooters for dinner"

when did Hooters become a family restaurant?
lmfao!!

AbelMorvant
02.19.2012 , 02:44 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post

Kids don't suck today.
This, my 9 yo son fuggin' LOVES star wars. He watches the clone wars, seen all the movies. Halo and Star Wars is his world and he about vomits everytime twilight is mentioned. As for music his favorite bands are Metallica and Slipknot, he grew up on hard rock/metal and is pretty damn good on guitar for his age. But we also do a lot of outside activities, like bike riding, sledding, play football. The weird part? He's not the only kid around here that's like that so I can't relate at all to the OP. The kids of all my friends and myself keep a good balance between outside playing and vid games: They're all in really good shape.

You know, I'm only 29 and I never feel that old until I hear people my age complain about "kids and their technology!", they're really not any worse than we were they just have access to more cooler stuff.

You'd be surprised by how many kids choose not to have a fb or anything of the like. My son for example sees no point of it, he sees his friends in rl whenever he wants anyways.

Drahh
02.19.2012 , 02:47 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by AbelMorvant View Post
This, my 9 yo son fuggin' LOVES star wars. He watches the clone wars, seen all the movies. Halo and Star Wars is his world and he about vomits everytime twilight is mentioned. As for music his favorite bands are Metallica and Slipknot, he grew up on hard rock/metal and is pretty damn good on guitar for his age. But we also do a lot of outside activities, like bike riding, sledding, play football. The weird part? He's not the only kid around here that's like that so I can't relate at all to the OP. The kids of all my friends and myself keep a good balance between outside playing and vid games: They're all in really good shape.

You know, I'm only 29 and I never feel that old until I hear people my age complain about "kids and their technology!", they're really not any worse than we were they just have access to more cooler stuff.

You'd be surprised by how many kids choose not to have a fb or anything of the like. My son for example sees no point of it, he sees his friends in rl whenever he wants anyways.
I didnt say ALL, I said SOME as mentioned in the end of my thread.

Hardin_Steele
02.19.2012 , 02:55 PM | #10
Cooler stuff? In my day the cooler stuff was a big patch of woods across the street with a creek running through it. We would be in the woods all day catching crfawdads and having dirt clod battles, playing fox and hounds, building forts....all the stuff kids used to do.

We did eventually get an Atari (there was no 2600, 3200, 6400, just an Atari). We played it a lot, but still rode our bikes, ran home from school, camped out in the backyard...

I do miss that stuff (at almost 50 years old now it seems like yesterday still...) I think today's kids miss a lot with all the technology that makes them too "plugged in" to stuff. Sure, my view is slanted to my own past, but at least I acknowledge that. All that stuff you say is cool, I can't stand it. Old fart here, I admit.

Stood in line for the movie Staw Wars (it wasn't labeled "A New Hope" yet, as there was no "Empire Strikes Back" yet, that didn't come out until 1980).

Ah, well. Time gone by. The new cool stuff ain't all that cool. I like the old stuff; bikes, dirt clods, crawdads, pup tents...now THAT stuff was cool.