Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

3/36 BM tokens per bags opened , 25% out of what, 1000!!!!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
3/36 BM tokens per bags opened , 25% out of what, 1000!!!!

AlyxDinas's Avatar


AlyxDinas
02.18.2012 , 11:51 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by svartalfimposter View Post
That's fine, but people don't win large batches, they win the odd bag here and there.
It doesn't really matter. There's essentially an infinite amount of bags. At 25% chance does not necessarily mean you're going to get one for every four bags you open.
'Jeos Dinas'-Ebon Hawk
Manager, The Ebon Hawk Bounty Board
"Perception Problem."

Benets's Avatar


Benets
02.18.2012 , 11:52 AM | #32
Gabe Amatangelo: It is not sanctioned behavior. In Game Update 1.2 we will be making changes to the Warzone rewards system, which will de-incentivize this type of behavior. This will include the removal of the interim bag/quest system, the introduction of the direct purchase of gear from Warzone and Ranked Warzone commendations, 14 new objective-based medals and participation scaling the rewards. Additionally, players will have the option to vote kick idlers. Kicked players will not be able to re-queue for several minutes.
- "Do or do not, there's no try" -
Benets
aka
Mxyzptlk

Benets's Avatar


Benets
02.18.2012 , 12:00 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by AlyxDinas View Post
It doesn't really matter. There's essentially an infinite amount of bags. At 25% chance does not necessarily mean you're going to get one for every four bags you open.
Yes and that's the problem. You can do 5 and get 5 while other can do 50 and get none, this is dumb. It's easy you did you got. Raise prices.

They already made this change for patch 1.2
But took too long. I am saying this system's crap from the beggining.
- "Do or do not, there's no try" -
Benets
aka
Mxyzptlk

Canuk's Avatar


Canuk
02.18.2012 , 12:10 PM | #34
rng is something that shouldnt be involved at any level in a pvp environment imho.
Im looking at 1 bm token and 13 bags open, yeah i know its not as bad as some but its disheartening and not condusive to keep you motivated to play imho.
Being able to see whats coming and figure out when your getting upgrades is much much better.
If the sytem sucked for champion bags(which they changed) why on gods green earth would they keep the rng bm system..boggle then...facepalm..

AlyxDinas's Avatar


AlyxDinas
02.18.2012 , 12:20 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Benets View Post
Yes and that's the problem. You can do 5 and get 5 while other can do 50 and get none, this is dumb. It's easy you did you got. Raise prices.

They already made this change for patch 1.2
But took too long. I am saying this system's crap from the beggining.
I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with you. But then again, I've been trying to get my Columi chest piece to drop from the countless HMs and Operations I've been doing this week (more than any number of BM bags I could acquire in the same amount of time, mind you) and that's been just as much, if more hassle, than any of my gearing for PVP.

A numbers game is a numbers game is a numbers game. I'm glad tweaks will be made which will ensure some type of steady progress towards a goal in the same fashion of the changes t to Champ bags and think they probably have been made sooner, sure. This idea, however, that gear token drops should some type of assured thing, that a certain percentage should mean someone absolutely gets something after x bags or attempts...I'm less sure about. And I think shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how the system works.
'Jeos Dinas'-Ebon Hawk
Manager, The Ebon Hawk Bounty Board
"Perception Problem."

KantaUO's Avatar


KantaUO
02.18.2012 , 12:21 PM | #36
Quote:
Each individual bag has a 25% chance to grant a token. Not, "you will get 250 tokens out of every 1000 bags you open."

The math isn't strong with this one.

Killamanjaroo's Avatar


Killamanjaroo
02.18.2012 , 02:36 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by KantaUO View Post
The math isn't strong with this one.
LOL true. If I open 1000 bags, and the chance is 25%, I would expect 250 tokens or it's not 25% chance.

When is 1.2? sound like a Mid March thing.

Jaisen-Naritus's Avatar


Jaisen-Naritus
02.18.2012 , 02:43 PM | #38
At least you have something to show out of those 36 bags, I just opened my 35th in a row without a commendation. Currently sitting at 8 out of 85 bags (counting the tokens from before 1.1 as commendations).. Not really sure who thought RNG was even a remotely good idea for PvP gear.
Republic Commando

Dosvidaniya's Avatar


Dosvidaniya
02.18.2012 , 03:19 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Killamanjaroo View Post
LOL true. If I open 1000 bags, and the chance is 25%, I would expect 250 tokens or it's not 25% chance.

When is 1.2? sound like a Mid March thing.
Actually, his statement is correct. While 250 is the expected value (aka average), the odds of you actually getting 250 out of 1000 is rather low. Yes, you have a higher probability to get 250 than to get any other single number. However, you have a vastly higher chance to get some random number within a few deviations of 250. If you get 250 out of 1000 bags, you can't assume the average to be 25%. You must use a point estimator to make a guess as to the average.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_estimation

The law of large numbers makes RNG systems really frustrating.

Malle's Avatar


Malle
02.18.2012 , 04:04 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Dosvidaniya View Post
Actually, his statement is correct. While 250 is the expected value (aka average), the odds of you actually getting 250 out of 1000 is rather low. Yes, you have a higher probability to get 250 than to get any other single number. However, you have a vastly higher chance to get some random number within a few deviations of 250. If you get 250 out of 1000 bags, you can't assume the average to be 25%. You must use a point estimator to make a guess as to the average.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_estimation

The law of large numbers makes RNG systems really frustrating.
And, if anyone is interested, with a 25% probability per trial and 1000 independent trials, the probability to get exactly 250 successes is a measly 2.9%
The Malle Legacy on Scepter of Ragnos
Malle (50 Sniper), Baldwin (25 Powertech), Miriana (8 Inquisitor)