Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do you play a primarily damage dealing class?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Damage-dealing
Why do you play a primarily damage dealing class?

LaVolpex
02.16.2012 , 10:57 PM | #11
two reasons i went with a full dps class on this game:

1 - played a shaman forever and a freakin day till the day i quit wow , then i played a cleric in rift, im honestly tired of playing " hybrids" or healers or quasi support classes

2 - IA snipers are just too friggin cool to pass up, a whole different playstyle for me im enjoying it very much

michaelra
02.16.2012 , 11:13 PM | #12
I have a level 35 tank and level 23 healer (my main is DPS with level 45)

I like tank when playing flashpoints or in a group as it's a challenge to maintain aggro, know when to stop, when to protect, taunt, etc.

don't really like healer as what u do (and expected) is just to heal heal heal heal

Why i love the dps is well..like everyone else..more fun when you are solo-ing, quicker, and the satisfaction when u kill someone

rzrknight
02.16.2012 , 11:28 PM | #13
Im a tank but i admit , i will never be as cool as a sith/jedi with 2 sabers...
The Lord said: "QQ enough and thou shall receive it."
The followers said: "I shall QQ my lord, i shall QQ."
And since then , not a single day passed without the QQs being heard.

Red_Vs_Blue
02.16.2012 , 11:32 PM | #14
Cause i can and who are you to tell me otherwise?
Ageoffan, lvl 50 Sith Warrior,Annihilation.
Server: Dreshdae Cantina
Guild: Legion of Fire

mezamashii
02.16.2012 , 11:49 PM | #15
The perceived shortage of healers and tanks in any game based on the trinity is inherent. No game design will ever change that. BW could hand out free lvl 50 healers and tanks and it wouldn't help, They could give every class a free, always available, spec independent tank and healer tree and it still wouldn't help.

As long as the basic encounter mechanic is trinity-based and requires a designated tank and a designated healer, people will shy away from those roles in anonymous groups for community/social reasons, not mechanical ones. (And I stress the anon bit.. there are plenty of people willing to tank and heal for friends and guildies but not for random pugs, which is really the crux of the social issue).

The best you can do with game design is to not artificially limit players by adding unneeded barriers for someone who would otherwise be willing to take on these roles. And BW for the most part has done decently with that. But no game design will ever change the inherent scarcity of people willing to perform these tasks for abusive strangers.

archifikoss
02.16.2012 , 11:54 PM | #16
Because I don't care so much about the role the class can play as much as I care about the class itself. I didn't choose a sniper because its a DPS class, I chose it because I liked it. Granted I play solo mostly, but even if I didn't the classes potential roles do not bother me.

Unless the class had only healing trees (doesn't exist in this game, just saying), in which case I would avoid it like the plague. God I hate healing.

FerrusPA
02.16.2012 , 11:56 PM | #17
I usually play tanks or healers but tanking in this game is terrible and I really couldn't be bothered with the responsibility those two roles bring. Let someone else herd the cats in a PUG.
December Pre-Order Best Pre-Order
Proud Guildmaster of Two Swords One Box. Apply now!

Thread = Faden Threat = Drohung

Bomama
02.16.2012 , 11:57 PM | #18
DPS is easier for me to quantify, and therefore easier to recognize how well I'm doing, and where I can improve. Healing may also be easily quantifiable, but I find it too passive. Tanking is too dependent on instance design and encounter mechanics for my taste.

Chromiie
02.16.2012 , 11:58 PM | #19
I tried healing I don't enjoy it I'm actually a really good tank but meh it bores me and I don't like the responsibility.
Quote: Originally Posted by DamionSchubert View Post
We don't have friendly fire in The Old Republic for a simple reason: a lot of players are, well... idiots. I don't mean you, of course, dear reader

Exilim
02.16.2012 , 11:59 PM | #20
I actually switched from guardian to my gunslinger because I felt they were underrepresented and I like to excel with underrepresented classes. It didn't have anything to do with pure dps, though it's a role I've come to accept as it brings a different set of challenges.

It's fun though, that's what keeps me from going back. When I am top damage after a Huttball and the next closest is 100k behind me it keeps me from going back. Halfway through a PvP match when 4 people begin to go after me as a primary target, well, that's the warm fuzzies.
I believe in people bombing
I believe in people warring
I believe diseases coming
I believe that's why I'm running