Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do you play a primarily damage dealing class?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Damage-dealing
Why do you play a primarily damage dealing class?

Lord_of_Stone
02.16.2012 , 10:12 PM | #1
Healers and tanks dont really need to reply. So, for those of you playing dps classes, why? I have a level 50 sage healer and 33 vanguard tank that I've mostly soloed. Companions help out quite a bit, and I'm curious as to why there are not more tanks and healers when the companion system makes them easier to level than in other MMO's.

Not putting anyone on the spot, I dont want any flaming. I am merely curious, as there is probably an issue somewhere that BW can resolve to make our game balanced, and easier to find groups.

So, whats keeping you guys from running tank or heals?
KablahiSuraki TyractEnli

IntileFlight PharyaVindor

Azumio
02.16.2012 , 10:13 PM | #2
I find my DPS (Sent) a lot more fun to play than either my Sage/Scoundrel or Vanguard.

It's a lot harder, though in most cases.

Magnijung
02.16.2012 , 10:23 PM | #3
DPS is much more fun. I leveled my assassin as darkness until 50. It was pretty easy but now I respecced dps. DPSing is much more engaging.

Although I do kind of wish I rolled as sorcerer. It seems like people love healers more than tanks and dps.

demonskies
02.16.2012 , 10:24 PM | #4
alot of people just dont want the responsibility of keeping groups alive and would just rather be that guy in the back attacking stuff. as dps all you have to do is stay out of stuff and pew pew and look at big numbers. I tanked for the last 10 or so years and had dps alts. With this game Im heals with dps alts. Needed a change.
Callisto/50/Bodyguard Mercenary
Decimate/50/Annihilation Marauder

SpitERI
02.16.2012 , 10:29 PM | #5
I always played tank classes in the other MMORPGs I subscribed to; I wanted to do something different with SW:TOR.
Excession (Aus/Oceanic; GMT+8 to GMT+10) on Dalborra as of 24/4/12.

We're recruiting! Go here for more information or send myself (Arcis) an in-game message or tell.

Ossos
02.16.2012 , 10:38 PM | #6
Endgame you only need 1 tank. The Ops aren't that difficult. Honestly if you can beat a heroic 5 man in WoW, then you can beat the Ops in this game in Nightmare mode.
Preventing Hackers and Exploiters from ruining the game is not a priority. Preventing you from mentioning the fact that they exist and go unpunished is.

Defenderator
02.16.2012 , 10:41 PM | #7
My first character is a smuggler healer. However, I'm running into problems in the second chapter with him not being able to deal enough damage, even with my companion's semi-help. My second character is a bounty hunter, and he's just more fun. And his companion is a pretty decent healer already so he rarely needs to worry about his health.

So I play my smuggler when I want a challenge, but my bounty hunter when I want to just blow things up. My smuggler is a great healer, and has been known to not allow anyone to die in group quests, but unfortunately, I prefer playing solo, so he doesn't use his healing as much as he could.

Dual-spec'ing is hard, I think. With the number of points available, you pretty much have to focus on one skill tree if you want to get the top-most skill, then spend the other 15 or so points in the first couple of rows of another tree, or spread even more thinly between the other two trees.

Kaphik
02.16.2012 , 10:42 PM | #8
Some people enjoy the responibility of being really good DPS. Making sure you are doing as much damage as possible without pulling aggro, hitting your interrupts every time needed, not attacking CC'd targets, CCing targets if you can, and keeping yourself alive and easier to heal by using your own abilities and awareness.

Shuno
02.16.2012 , 10:49 PM | #9
Er.. generally dps classes are more simple and quicker to level. Stick a healer companion with them and go ape ****.

Once you get to max level just spec something more group orientated

SWG Euro Farstar
----------

grueber
02.16.2012 , 10:49 PM | #10
Seems to be plenty of tanks/healers on my server in proportion to DPS.

It's an interesting change of pace for me since I used to be a healer in raiding for WoW.

No need to lock down one choice anyway. I've finished up all three class storylines of each archetype (merc, vanguard, marauder).