Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Light Side Sith: Anti-Villain?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Light Side Sith: Anti-Villain?

Cilionelle
02.16.2012 , 06:54 PM | #11
I've likened the Sith Empire to the German "Empire" of WWII. Sure, it's led by people who are an emitter short of a lightsabre but there are good people caught up in all of it. They do "bad" things, but it's the context of war and a tyrannical government.

So, a Light Side Sith Warrior or Inquisitor is a pretty odd concept, given the nature of the Dark Side. I don't think it works too well within the story. Even as Lord Scourge in the Revan book learned about the light side, it was still to use it for his own benefit, rather than that of the greater good, which is something that defines the light side.

Nethershadow
02.16.2012 , 07:22 PM | #12
No one thinks of themselves as a bad guy or evil person. You always label it to the other and vice versa as it is a point of view and opinion and we all know how our opinion is right and everyone else is wrong.

Samurai and knights. Both have honor but it is in different ways. Both feel they have done "right" by their superiors / empire, though the actions of either can be very different or even evil to the other.

The Sith lead, but even amongst them they do have an ideal to how you should live, and they dont just kill eat other at the flip of a coin hence why they survive and exist.

I have a LS Sorc and i play him like a true patriot of the Empire, his desires is to make the Empire strong and protect it at all costs while also preventing infighting and wasting of resources (people as well). Just like the Sith, the Empire must learn to be strong and not cry about things being tough, much like a Icelanders mentality.

LS Empire i see being more like this, and the odd traitor as the person who accepts the morals of the republic instead of what they were raised in.

Just my 2 cents.

tausra
02.16.2012 , 08:29 PM | #13
The Empire is not inherently evil. The people in charge may be psychotic and evil, but the entire Empire is not. A light Sided Sith is someone who has the integrity and discipline to maintain a personal code, despite the pressure to to give in to darkness. A lightsided Sith kills, but not senselessly. A Light Sith is willing to make personal sacrifices to advance the Empire's goals. He's a villain, he does bad things and fights the "good guys", but in a lot of ways he's on the moral high-ground.

The Anti-Villain is the bad guy you respect; the villain who lectures the hero on morality; the willing Martyr for the Darkness.
"Sith, children of Sith, warriors everywhere, I declare a new Empire, open to all who long for conquest, freedom from inhibition and the right to follow their passions." -Emperor Malgus

Hambunctious
02.16.2012 , 09:39 PM | #14
All of my sith are traitors at heart, and they take every opportunity to undermine the empire. They even refuse some missions, just because they know there is no good ending, even with the light side choice.

They told the jedi on korriban the truth that he was being manipulated after helping him escape. They refused to poison the slaves on Dromund Kaas with a quick death. They're still rebelling last time I visited. I have dozens more examples.

If I could have had a choice to stay with my SW master, I would have joined him just to have the chance to kill the emperor myself. As it is, I plot against the emperor from the inside, and I patiently wait for my opportunity.

Yeah, my sith are anti-villain.

Cythereal
02.16.2012 , 09:55 PM | #15
Play the Imperial Agent story if you question whether the Empire is evil or not. The Agent delves heavily into that thin, blurry red line that seldom runs straight between good and evil. Are there evil people in the Empire who do horrific things? Yes. Are many of the Sith who call the shots a few sandwiches short of a picnic or just plain sociopathic? Yes. Are there reformers who use their positions of power to curb the excesses of the first two? Yes. Are there men and women who have seen both Republic and Empire intimately, virtues and flaws, and decided to aid the Empire? Yes. Are there blindly obedient soldiers and subjects of the Empire who follow because it's all they know? Yes. Are there people who acknowledge the Empire's faults but all the same fight for their home and nation against a paranoid expansionist power called the Republic? Yes.

To simply label the Empire as evil, particularly if you also label the Republic as good, is the error of those who haven't looked closely at either.

Helig
02.17.2012 , 12:03 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by AngelousWang View Post
The Empire is a gun, the Sith are guys point and pulling the trigger. The gun has no say, while it may not be directly evil, it is an evil thing by proxy as it is being used for an evil purpose.

So putting armour piercing bullets in the gun (helping the Empire), is always a bad thing.
So trying to make that "gun" into something more than just a weapon is bad? Honestly believing that Imperial way of life brings prosperity?

Besides,
Spoiler

Pretty sure it does make them "good guys".
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

RepublicGurl
02.21.2012 , 12:02 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by tausra View Post
The Empire is not inherently evil. The people in charge may be psychotic and evil, but the entire Empire is not. A light Sided Sith is someone who has the integrity and discipline to maintain a personal code, despite the pressure to to give in to darkness. A lightsided Sith kills, but not senselessly. A Light Sith is willing to make personal sacrifices to advance the Empire's goals. He's a villain, he does bad things and fights the "good guys", but in a lot of ways he's on the moral high-ground.

The Anti-Villain is the bad guy you respect; the villain who lectures the hero on morality; the willing Martyr for the Darkness.
... That's an interesting way of putting it. I, personally, do not see my Warrior as a "hero" in the view that she's about saving others above herself, or that she is entirely selfless.

In fact, most of what she does in some way benefits her- or, so it starts out at that way where she is concerned. (Later character development- mainly for my story -is that her "dabbling" in the Light Side begins to change her outlook on everything she was raised to believe in. Once she tastes the power of the Light, it is only a matter of time before she gives herself over to It fully...)

She doesn't believe in the "glory of the Empire" simply because it is all she practically knows. In fact, it is with a bit of removed disdain that my Warrior even became a Sith culturally (even though she is one biologically.)

She has come to believe and rely only on herself, but she also has no ill-will towards the non-Force sensitives and slaves.

Some of my favorite moments in my Warrior's storyline are:

Spoiler

One other element I absolutely loved was when:

Spoiler

When I came across that, I was not sure whether to choose the Dark option or not, and then I considered what my Warrior would do if she were real. And my Warrior is all about self-empowerment and control: whether that comes from the Dark Side of the Force or not.

... Basically, my Warrior is "good" in the sense that she has her own subjective views of morality and does not impose her will on others (to an extent), but she isn't a hero.

Don't know if that still makes her and anti-villain, though.
"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend..."

"Only a life lived for others is a life worth living for..."

Jerid
02.21.2012 , 12:16 PM | #18
Don't worry, I'm avoiding spoilers because I found the Sith Warrior really DOES seem to have the best "Lightside" Empire story arc for Chapter 1.

It sounds like you haven't gotten to Tatooine yet.
Once you do there's a mission there for your LS Sith at the Oasis that if you're going LS will explain your motiviations more.

Once you reach the end of Chapter 1, when you're talking to your newest companion, it will ALL become clear.

There were a few inconsistancies... most espcially the missions near the end of Alderann at House Organa, but once you get to the end of Chapter 1 does make a case for why you did what you did.

Actualy the ony one I couldn't expain away was the mission where you fly out to the ship in space after Alderann. The Light Side choice at the very end seemed more dark (and from a certian point of view even MORE dark the the "Darkside" choices)

tausra
02.21.2012 , 12:25 PM | #19
I'll admit that is my "idealized" version of the Light-Sided Sith. A more neutral Light sider simply treats people like people, instead of chattel and pawns. They don't kill without a good reason, and don't kick dogs as they walk down the street, but don't expect them to go out on a limb for anyone. That type of Sith isn't an Anti-villain so much as they're the typical bystander, the Non-hero. She does what she has to, and if someone gets hurt because of it she might feel bad, but she might not. She'll listen when spoken to, but might not always follow every command to the letter.

I wouldn't call your character an anti-villain, I'd say something like Selfish Neutral, Non-Hero, or a Passive Villain.
"Sith, children of Sith, warriors everywhere, I declare a new Empire, open to all who long for conquest, freedom from inhibition and the right to follow their passions." -Emperor Malgus

maxetius
02.21.2012 , 12:46 PM | #20
Empire isn't evil. The ruling class [sith] is numerous and completely out of control. They are the problem. Get rid of them and hell yeah, the Empire is way better than the decadent, corrupt, crumbling Republic, which is probably why they wind up being the chief power in the EU.