Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The reasons why all the melee classes need a serious love

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
The reasons why all the melee classes need a serious love

Vesperr
02.16.2012 , 12:36 AM | #11
A little fix for OP: Assassins do as much ranged damage as maras and juggs, only powertechs and operatives can do some ranged damage (its not effective but sometimes enough to finish off somebody), yet these are 2 classes which have almost no gap closers (45s CD pull for PT and stealth for ops, not much, not much...).

p.s. Maras do very nice damage and their only problem is bad players.
>___<
I used to be a ballcarrier until I got Leg Shot in the knee.
I cant post if my playtime is over? What The Fckk?!

Vallowen
02.16.2012 , 01:14 AM | #12
ranged classes are stronger. more dmg, more cc, better defence
+
and the maps are heavily ranged friendly

= melee get shat on most of the time.

Halfelvenmage
02.16.2012 , 01:39 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by GeoLager View Post
50 vs 50 Ilum would be a laggy mess that no one would want a part of.
And that's different how?? PvP is so unbalanced because they let the mythic guys develop it and anyone that played WAR can tell you how much of a crap shoot that was.

Not having DR on roots/snares is broken. Giving range classes the ability to CC a target for 20 seconds and there's nothing you can do about it...is broken.

However, they are working on stuff. I await patiently for things to get smoothed out...that or if they don't, leave for GW2.

Rhinzual
02.16.2012 , 08:02 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Halfelvenmage View Post
And that's different how?? PvP is so unbalanced because they let the mythic guys develop it and anyone that played WAR can tell you how much of a crap shoot that was.

Not having DR on roots/snares is broken. Giving range classes the ability to CC a target for 20 seconds and there's nothing you can do about it...is broken.

However, they are working on stuff. I await patiently for things to get smoothed out...that or if they don't, leave for GW2.
Yup, Marauder = Marauder, and I'm certain a few people will get what I mean by that.

miliways
02.16.2012 , 10:21 AM | #15
Melee is at a MASSIVE disadvantage in the game right now.

This is seriously one of the biggest issues I have and its killing me.

Wow had the same problem, and they resolved it. I'm sure the TOR devs will get around to it. But I hope they do it soon.

We do equal DPS to ranged but we do it less often, so we do less DPS. That isn't balanced.

We're FAR more susceptible to roots and snares and stuns and knockback, and this game as a freaking s-ton of them.

And bosses have all kinds of AOE smash and breath weapon (cone) attacks. Ranged characters can literally just stand at a distance and fire. Melee has to run back and forth constantly to dodge attacks that would take out a third of our life, so we deal half the DPS in those boss encounters.

Its ridiculous.

Donnadarco
02.16.2012 , 10:41 AM | #16
Quote:
Please, find below a list of reasons why all the melee classes need a serious love in this game. You may discuss this list, add new reasons. If you do so, I will update this original post accordingly.

Reason 1
When a melee class is rooted, snared, or bumped, it cannot deal any DPS (with the exception of the Jedi Shadow and Sith assassin who can deal some Range DPS). The resolution bar is not growing up that much when you are affected by a movement impairing effect. Even worse: while rooted, the resolution bar starts decreasing. You cannot move, but you are almost immediately eligible for a mez, a stun, or whatever else. Obviously, a melee class is much more affected by crowed control effects than any other class in the game.

Reason 2
The melee classes are taking way too much damage. They take so much damage that they have not the ability to put the pressure into the enemy lines. Let's take an example: a 50v50 fight on Ilum. The melee classes, i.e DPS and tanks, cannot rush the enemy lines. If they do so, they get killed in a couple of seconds. The combat is therefore a (Range + Healer) vs (Range + Healer) fight. In such a fight, melee classes are only spectators. This issue has also an impact in the overall PvP game play: since it is not possible to rush into the enemy lines, the fight is therefore quite static.

Reason 3
The melee classes are globally dealing less DPS than the range classes. This is a subjective observation as I do not have any combat logs to prove this general feeling or its contrary. But I can also listen to people who have two characters, one range DPS class and one melee DPS class, and who report the exact same feeling. IMHO, a melee DPS class should strike hard when in contact of the target, as most of the time, due to the movement impairing effects and other CCs, the melee DPS class cannot deal any DPS at all.
Put this in the PVP thread instead. You dont mention 1 single PVE disadvantage being mele ?

This s just a huge complain about Crowd control in PVP.

Corran
02.16.2012 , 10:46 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post
The one thing I don't understand is that in other games, melee classes have far superior damage to ranged classes because of the liabliity of being in melee.
not universal and is why i was forced to main swap from my dps dk to my shadow priest from wrath through cataclysm (mostly we had too much melee, but they knew raid dps wouldnt suffer for me going to a ranged class)

it was boss mechanics, not base dmg that favored melee
"No one makes a victim of folks I'm sworn to protect." - Corran Horn
http://www.twitch.tv/dixa1

stephenjohnp
02.16.2012 , 12:12 PM | #18
I would have agreed before, but melee classes are really good. They don't quite match up with the Over-powered Mercs/Sorcs of the SWTOR world, but they are fantastic.

BobaFurz
02.16.2012 , 12:17 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post
The one thing I don't understand is that in other games, melee classes have far superior damage to ranged classes because of the liabliity of being in melee. Here in SWTOR it seems to be the opposite. Ranged classes not only have the better abilities, but do higher damage as well. (See Commandos/Mercenaries).

Tell me why again was a ranged class given heavy armor, shields, armor reduction abilities, the ability to self heal, knockbacks, and high damage?

It's like pre-nerf Paladins on steroids. AT least paladins were melee....this is ridiculous.
Well if you start to discuss like this, people will throw on your head that melees have an interrupt skill. So you need to interrupt the dmg of the ranged class to succeed.. never saw this in any game. Yes interrupts did exist but not to tone down their dmg but to hinder them on cc especially, but in close combat a close combat fighter (not stealther) has to have the upper hand when it comes to dps. In other games melees (not stealther) have actually more surviveability in group pvp. And when we talk abut CC, well no wonder why pvp sucks...there is no diminishing returns.

I can imagine why we see no combat log in this game, because they rushed towards release and everyone would be up for a suprise. All they do is balancing slowly with patches and more will come by.
STAR WARS
RETURN OF TEH HUTTBALL

Daekarus
02.16.2012 , 01:21 PM | #20
If they do as you all suggest for the sake of balancing pvp, balance for PvE will be shot. You will be obligated to roll a melee class if you wish to run FPs or Operations. They will have to do a pvp-specific change in order to keep things even.