Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you "need" moddable gear of the right class but wrong stat?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Do you "need" moddable gear of the right class but wrong stat?

Lacedemon
02.15.2012 , 07:44 AM | #11
Always check before I roll on Comms, just in case but generally in my guild the rule in MMO's has always been Need if the stats/gear is an upgrade for you and greed if you want it for vanity etc..

Yonanja
02.15.2012 , 07:50 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by AsheraII View Post
I'll roll need if the armorclass is right and I find it a visual upgrade. If this upsets someone, I'll maybe offer to supply whoever lost the roll and was of the appropriate class with the exact same mods that the orange had. It's not that hard to craft them anyway. Or to visit the GTN, plenty of mods there too. Guildies get this offer right away if the situation occurs.

Basically, stats aren't that special on orange drops, especially not in leveling flashpoints. It's their appearance that makes orange drops special.
Which is all good and all... as long as the mods in the armor can actually be made. Not all armorings and mods can be crafted by cybertech, and enhancements are artificier IIRC.

lueckjathom
02.15.2012 , 07:52 AM | #13
In my opinion;

When leveling, appearance is more important than stats. Anything you roll on is gonna be outdated stat-wise in a couple levels, but the appearance of it can last you till 50 if you really like it.

Endgame, stats are greater than appearance, and need rolls should only go to appropriate class for the stats on the item.

realID
02.15.2012 , 07:54 AM | #14
Have you seen the Jedi Bubble Butt?

Yes, as soon as 1.2 comes around, I will once again revert to my Trooper armor since that's how Bioware plans to fix the issues wtih the Jedi Bubble Butt.

LarryRow
02.15.2012 , 08:00 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by realID View Post
Have you seen the Jedi Bubble Butt?
LOL, never heard it called that.

In principle, I think it's okay to roll need on orange gear that you want but maybe has the wrong stats, especially if you don't have an orange for that body part yet.

HOWEVER, I also understand that a lot of people are not okay with that. And in an MMO, not pissing people off is way more important than getting pretty gear.

If you really want it, ask if you can need it. Better yet, make some ground rules before the mission.

_Flin_
02.15.2012 , 09:09 AM | #16
I'd explain it beforehand if it is an BoP item. Then roll need.

After winning, I wouldn't do it again on this run.

HeavenlyBluE
02.15.2012 , 04:31 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow
HOWEVER, I also understand that a lot of people are not okay with that. And in an MMO, not pissing people off is way more important than getting pretty gear.
Why do you say that? Personally I love it when some little nerd begins to cry because Ashara got her new colomi chest over him. Nerd tears are delicious.

IThrowRocks
02.15.2012 , 04:49 PM | #18
I don't agree with needing on an item just for its mod when there is someone in the group that will actually use the entire item. I mean that is just not right. Now if nobody needs the item and its going to a vender or companion, then you have right to need it as it will improve your character.

If your attitude is "It's better for me so I'm going to need it" then go for it. But don't get mad when you can't switch servers and you can't find a strong guild.

And honestly mods and enhancements from HM's arent worth taking. Only things worth doing that for are the 56 crystals. Other than that why not just farm champion gear for mods?