Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Melee Tanking in this game is Horrible

Latik
02.14.2012 , 08:54 AM | #21
If you're a SW you should try out this build ...

25/16/0

Playing since weeks with it and it's working perfectly, I don't even miss the Crushing Blow instead I am enjoying the Unstoppable talent and my healers like it too because of the shield I get upfront for several seconds. That's almost allways the time where you get the most dmg, so it also prevents getting aggro to fast for healers from scattered adds.

Regarding the free smash and the updated scream, you can leave it out if you lack some equip and go for the extra 4% dmg reduction of Dark Blood.

The problem with Kaon ... well, there you have no other choice but to cc the most annoying stuff, if not it might be not an easy job to keep them sticky.

Daovin
02.14.2012 , 09:53 AM | #22
Oh good god the knock-backs.

Karagga's palace, the guards before Bonethrasher.

(I realize that trash doesn't really need to be tanked until Foreman's room.)
"They come, marching, believing themselves equal to the army of ancients that chained me. But I am not of their time."
―The Infernal One

Sturyko
02.14.2012 , 03:58 PM | #23
Quote:
No they do not. I am a melee tank and have never ever died to trash in Kaon.
I think some people are missing the point of this post. I never said it stops me from being able to play. In fact I completed Kaon np. The point was that it's annoying as hell and unecessarily so.

I'm trying out the one mentioned where I drop crushing blow. Looks like it would work well ^^

BMBender
02.14.2012 , 04:04 PM | #24
Learn to CC fixes most issues. Jumping in and hoping the heals/dps can keep up isn't the way to do it
The only thing that should impact a players success/failure in pvpplayervsplayeris his/her skill not what they are wearing. Otherwise call it GvG gear vs gear, crunch the #'s in a calc, face-roll your keyboard, and go watch TV.polls by paulolesonhttp://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=164486pollhttp://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=164530

Tronzax
02.15.2012 , 08:50 AM | #25
To the OP

I agree with you 100%. The knock-backs in this game are ridiculous, like you say its not game-breaking, just annoying as hell. I honestly don't understand the need for every group of enemies to all have multiple knock-backs.

I actually had to spec out of 31 pt shield spec on my jedi guardian so I could acquire the unremitting talent which gives 4 seconds of knock-back immunity after I force-leap.

I expect to constantly be knocked back now, its a pain in the *** and annoying as hell.

Niddhog
02.15.2012 , 09:25 AM | #26
Behemoth boss in Kaon is easy. The lamp posts with the exploding barrels? There is nook you can put your back too to prevent eat the knockback. Yes he still deaggros, but since you weren't knocked 20000 yards away, its an easy taunt fix. Now when he does the frenzy... yeah begin kiting.

Also, as a shadow tank, I can effectively tank from 10m range. Threat is a bit lower, and I sacrifice self healing, but if I really need to I can. Main thing I hate is that first boss in Eternity vaults.... As a shadow my force speed is -usually- back on CD every time he hits me.... USUALLY (its about 40m knockback, and there is nothing to put back against/can't move boss).
Well that first boss in Maelstrom prison (the robot) is worse (chains stuns plus knockbacks, I spend literally half the fight not tanking) but I don't even think it drops loot (crystal).