Mainhand and Offhand damage type bonus bug or why sages/commandos do much more damage

GrandMasterDarth

Hello everyone!

I`ll start by saying i have a lvl 50 Battlemaster ranked commando and a lvl 50 shadow.

While getting my gear, i noticed something i can only call a big oversight:

Mainhand and Offhand bonus tech power/force power - what do i mean by this?

I will use a shadow for the example. You get a new offhand, that has FORCE POWER. You would think this will buff the damage on ALL your abilities. WRONG.

Force power only buffs the damage on FORCE abilities, and doesn`t do ANYTHING for melee atacks.

This is the reason some classes do less damage.

Sages only use force power atacks, so they get the full benefit from it.

Commandos/Mercenaries who spam Grav/Tracer get full benefits from the Tech power on their mainhand/offhand weapons, giving their grav/tracer a 1200 POWER advantage over other classes.

Jedi knights only get to use force power for their force atacks, their melee atacks don`t get any benefit from the 1200 force power. None.

How can anyone check this? Add/Remove your offhand item, focus/shield generator, etc.

You will notice, for shadows, force abilities like Project gain a lot of damage compared to abilities like Double Strike(melee damage) who only gains a bit from the Willpower stat on the offhand and pure POWER(not Force Power) if it exists on the offhand item.

Then pop a POWER trinket, and you will notice a flat increase to ALL ABILITY DAMAGE.

Why is this a big balance issue?

Right now, classes like:

Sages/Sorcerers (all specs)

Commando/Mercenary(gunnery/arsenal spec - spamabile tracer/grav)

i`m sure there are others i just don`t play all classes to know them that well

Get a damage advantage over others.

So if you were outdamaged and you are one of the classes with mixed damage(melee and force, tech and ranged) now you know why. Some classes/specs get 1200 more power for their atacks compared to others.

If you, like me, think this is a gamebreaking oversight on their part, please keep this bumped until they give us an answer and acknowledge the problem. This will go a long way towards balancing the game, as it will bring all the classes on the same playing ground.

It isnt an advantage, it's balance.

Think about it, a sage doesnt use his or her weapon, so all of that weapon damage doesnt apply to any of the character's abilities.

Force Power and Tech Power are the equivalent of Weapon Damage, they do the same thing for caster classes that Weapon Damage does for melee or ranged damage.

If that force power or tech power wasnt there, melee/ranged classes would be gaining more benefit from their weapon (and offhand) slots than caster classes do.

The balancing issue here doesnt come from the benefit force power or tech power provide, it comes from the fact that some classes can bypass defenses and armor, while others cannot. Grav Round and Tracer Missile both ignore armor, all attacks that deal internal or elemental damage ignore armor, some classes have more of these types of attacks than others. It isnt a problem for sages/sorcers, however, since almost all of their abilities are mitigated by armor.

Edited by Tenacity

Hello everyone!

I`ll start by saying i have a lvl 50 Battlemaster ranked commando and a lvl 50 shadow.

While getting my gear, i noticed something i can only call a big oversight:

Mainhand and Offhand bonus tech power/force power - what do i mean by this?

I will use a shadow for the example. You get a new offhand, that has FORCE POWER. You would think this will buff the damage on ALL your abilities. WRONG.

Force power only buffs the damage on FORCE abilities, and doesn`t do ANYTHING for melee atacks.

This is the reason some classes do less damage.

Sages only use force power atacks, so they get the full benefit from it.

Commandos/Mercenaries who spam Grav/Tracer get full benefits from the Tech power on their mainhand/offhand weapons, giving their grav/tracer a 1200 POWER advantage over other classes.

Jedi knights only get to use force power for their force atacks, their melee atacks don`t get any benefit from the 1200 force power. None.

How can anyone check this? Add/Remove your offhand item, focus/shield generator, etc.

You will notice, for shadows, force abilities like Project gain a lot of damage compared to abilities like Double Strike(melee damage) who only gains a bit from the Willpower stat on the offhand and pure POWER(not Force Power) if it exists on the offhand item.

Then pop a POWER trinket, and you will notice a flat increase to ALL ABILITY DAMAGE.

Why is this a big balance issue?

Right now, classes like:

Sages/Sorcerers (all specs)

Commando/Mercenary(gunnery/arsenal spec - spamabile tracer/grav)

i`m sure there are others i just don`t play all classes to know them that well

Get a damage advantage over others.

So if you were outdamaged and you are one of the classes with mixed damage(melee and force, tech and ranged) now you know why. Some classes/specs get 1200 more power for their atacks compared to others.

If you, like me, think this is a gamebreaking oversight on their part, please keep this bumped until they give us an answer and acknowledge the problem. This will go a long way towards balancing the game, as it will bring all the classes on the same playing ground.

and yet we still have less burst then the classes than the knights, yet our damage is still OP? really?

Don`t know what class you are, but a commando can do 3k+ crits with their spamabile 1.5s cast atack... that has(with 2 pieces of pve gear) 50%+ chance to crit.... add in a High Impact bolt and Demo Round and you have plenty of burst....

It won`t nerf anyone`s damage... my changes will make some atacks for knights/shadows/snipers and so on do more damage as they would get the right bonuses for them... right now they lose a flat 1200 power...

Don`t know what class you are, but a commando can do 3k+ crits with their spamabile 1.5s cast atack... that has(with 2 pieces of pve gear) 50%+ chance to crit.... add in a High Impact bolt and Demo Round and you have plenty of burst....

It won`t nerf anyone`s damage... my changes will make some atacks for knights/shadows/snipers and so on do more damage as they would get the right bonuses for them... right now they lose a flat 1200 power...

The spammable cast that eats up 1/4 of their resources each time? Smart Commandos/Mercs will fire off three shots to get 5 stacks (when talented) and the go to High Impact Bolt/Rail Shot, or one of their other abilities that has greatly increased damage because of the Gravity Vortex/Heat Signatures.

Edit: Also, are you suggesting that offhands aside from off hands weapons be removed from the game? If so, you can kindly go straight to hell. I think my Shield Tech's shield generator is a great boon to not just damage but TANKING as well.

"It's a great damage boost when popping trinkets!" SCREW THAT! I want a constant, reliable stat boost that aids me in all PvE and PvP aspects.

Edited by Rhinzual

The spammable cast that eats up 1/4 of their resources each time? Smart Commandos/Mercs will fire off three shots to get 5 stacks (when talented) and the go to High Impact Bolt/Rail Shot, or one of their other abilities that has greatly increased damage because of the Gravity Vortex/Heat Signatures.

I totally agree, however that doesn`t mean it`s not more damage compared to anything else, trust me all classes(except sages/sorcs) run out of resources spamming their atacks.

Also with a 50% crit and 2 ammo cost and 1 ammo refunded when u crit and 0.6 ammo regen per second, it takes a while before you run out of ammo spamming that atack, your target in pvp will be long dead unless it heals/intrerupts you... so please don`t try and talk nonsense. :)

Now compare that with double strike, that doesn`t even go close to that damage, even tho it has +50% crit from talents, and you will see why i`m saying an itemization overhaul is needed.

Without damage meters we have no real way of checking the validity of the thesis here. However, IF some classes do less damage, overall, than some other classes and the calculations that they use to determine that are the difference between force/tech power and, just regular old power, then a fix here seems to be in order.

As a balance shadow, I do not enjoy trying to find power gear amongst all the force power gear that pops up.

Without damage meters we have no real way of checking the validity of the thesis here. However, IF some classes do less damage, overall, than some other classes and the calculations that they use to determine that are the difference between force/tech power and, just regular old power, then a fix here seems to be in order.

As a balance shadow, I do not enjoy trying to find power gear amongst all the force power gear that pops up.

It's a good thing for you then that force power only comes on a weapon or oh item and it is tied directly to the power rating of the item meaning you NEVER, ever have to choose between force power and ANY stat including power.

As for the OP, who cares that different classes get different benefits from different stats. Who are you to say that different classes even do different damage? Do you have a 50 of every class that you have done controlled tests with to see the damage? Do you have the only working combat log of everyone playing the game?

Oh you are just making **** up and posting it on the forums. I know that seems to be par for the course around here, but maybe you should stop to think before the next retarded post you make.

It's a good thing for you then that force power only comes on a weapon or oh item and it is tied directly to the power rating of the item meaning you NEVER, ever have to choose between force power and ANY stat including power.

That's not a good thing, that's terrible. I've been looking for an offhand who's item budget wasn't wasted on force power and it's not out there, lame.

Edited by MeanMartian

You did forgot to mention, that all attacks that gain a benefit from force/tech power, don't scale with weapon damage on the other hand. So this balances it.

And some gain it from both.... that`s the issue...

Also putting stats on weapons the class can`t really use and doesn`t need for more than 50% of it`s abilities (gunslinger - tech damage on weapons, ranged damage on abilities) is not ok...

And some gain it from both.... that`s the issue...

Also putting stats on weapons the class can`t really use and doesn`t need for more than 50% of it`s abilities (gunslinger - tech damage on weapons, ranged damage on abilities) is not ok...

Why is it an issue? Like I said before, do you have the only working combat log in the game? How do you know that the damage of the different classes isn't balanced with the gear available in the game to them? Does it really matter if one class gains more from one stat than another as long as they are balanced against each other and the rest of the game?

You can't answer these questions because then you would have to admit that you just made some **** up and went to the forums to post it. Like I said before that seems to be par for the course on these forums, but posters like you are making this place a *********** cesspool and if BW wants actual feedback on the game these forums are the LAST place they should come.

Why is it an issue? Like I said before, do you have the only working combat log in the game? How do you know that the damage of the different classes isn't balanced with the gear available in the game to them? Does it really matter if one class gains more from one stat than another as long as they are balanced against each other and the rest of the game?

You can't answer these questions because then you would have to admit that you just made some **** up and went to the forums to post it. Like I said before that seems to be par for the course on these forums, but posters like you are making this place a *********** cesspool and if BW wants actual feedback on the game these forums are the LAST place they should come.

It`s not really that hard to take 2 lvl 50 classes, compare their stupid base spamabile atacks, and see one does a lot more damage... you don`t need a combat log for that, it`s the damage done with gear on, written in the tooltip...

Stop trying to pick on people posting stuff, do something to contribute or get the **** out...

And about the "classes are balanced in the end"... really?:)

It`s not really that hard to take 2 lvl 50 classes, compare their stupid base spamabile atacks, and see one does a lot more damage... you don`t need a combat log for that, it`s the damage done with gear on, written in the tooltip...

Stop trying to pick on people posting stuff, do something to contribute or get the **** out...

And about the "classes are balanced in the end"... really?:)

So your test proved that different classes are different, grats the character select screen tells you that, no need to even go into the game.

I never said the classes were balanced in the end. I asked you how the **** do YOU know they aren't? Please enlighten me with more of your scientific testing of damage co-efficients and their effect on all skills and talents that the different class all have. Where is your spreadsheet with all of your damage calculations for all 8 AC's and their total theoretical damage output?

What exactly are you doing to contribute? You are posting made up "facts" on the forums to try to get something nerfed.

Edited by Remulan

Commandos get the benefit from both weapon damage and tech power. This is just 1 example to see you are wrong.... :)

but not on the same abilities.

An ability's tooltip will say it either deals weapon damage or it deals energy/kinetic/elemental/internal/whatever.

If it says weapon damage, the amount is increased by the damage listing on your weapon, and not by tech or force power. If it says any other type of damage, it's improved by tech or force power (based on class).

No ability gets the benefit of both stats.