Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Apprentice System

Newsinz's Avatar


Newsinz
02.14.2012 , 11:59 PM | #1
Hey everyone,

So there has been a lot of talk on this in the past. I'm actually surprised it has not been brought up in the suggestion box considering there were so many in favor of the idea!

Basically this system would allow higher level players to scale down to lower level content and play with friends who might be to low of a level to actually have any fun running around with their higher level friends.

This also would allow those who RP to apprentice another player.

You could allow some stuff to be replayed. They could gain legacy XP and Credits. Honestly, being level 50 myself I wouldn't care if I didn't get anything for helping other then having a good time with lower level guildmates etc etc.

If anyone else has something to add to this please do!

Atrix's Avatar


Atrix
02.15.2012 , 12:45 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Newsinz View Post
Hey everyone,

So there has been a lot of talk on this in the past. I'm actually surprised it has not been brought up in the suggestion box considering there were so many in favor of the idea!

Basically this system would allow higher level players to scale down to lower level content and play with friends who might be to low of a level to actually have any fun running around with their higher level friends.

This also would allow those who RP to apprentice another player.

You could allow some stuff to be replayed. They could gain legacy XP and Credits. Honestly, being level 50 myself I wouldn't care if I didn't get anything for helping other then having a good time with lower level guildmates etc etc.

If anyone else has something to add to this please do!
Neat idea. I like the thought of scaling things down to where I'm not just clearing mobs for the player. It would definitely help with the grouping experience for lower level players. The only thing that could be an issue is how to normalize the stats. There is already some code in play to make it happen when it comes to WZs. However, how do you do this out in the questing environment? I guess you could base it off of being in a group, asking the higher level player if they want to go into "Master/Apprentice" mode and then their stats get scaled to that of the lowest level player in the party. However, their abilities would all still work - just not hit as hard.

Definitely has potential. Could also cause a lot of bugs too. LOL Definitely could be something for 2.0 and first expansion.
Pulse
Darth Bandon Server US East PVE
PVE Sith Empire Guild - Casual Raiding, PVP, and RP
Visit Our Website: Guild Website | To Join Click Here: Application

Newsinz's Avatar


Newsinz
02.15.2012 , 07:58 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Atrix View Post
Neat idea. I like the thought of scaling things down to where I'm not just clearing mobs for the player. It would definitely help with the grouping experience for lower level players. The only thing that could be an issue is how to normalize the stats. There is already some code in play to make it happen when it comes to WZs. However, how do you do this out in the questing environment? I guess you could base it off of being in a group, asking the higher level player if they want to go into "Master/Apprentice" mode and then their stats get scaled to that of the lowest level player in the party. However, their abilities would all still work - just not hit as hard.

Definitely has potential. Could also cause a lot of bugs too. LOL Definitely could be something for 2.0 and first expansion.
I think so too! I really suck at frame work for these things... lol so I'm not to sure how to make it work. However I know other games have had this same system so there is a way to make it work just need to think on how this could be implemented without causing game breaking bugs. Ill have to think a bit more on it today and maybe I can come up with something. Thanks for the extra ideas and the posting on the problems it could have. Now I have something to think about.

HelinCarnate's Avatar


HelinCarnate
02.15.2012 , 08:06 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Newsinz View Post
I think so too! I really suck at frame work for these things... lol so I'm not to sure how to make it work. However I know other games have had this same system so there is a way to make it work just need to think on how this could be implemented without causing game breaking bugs. Ill have to think a bit more on it today and maybe I can come up with something. Thanks for the extra ideas and the posting on the problems it could have. Now I have something to think about.
I have seen a few games like this as well. Most go the other way however and allow the higher level to mentor a lower level and give them the HP that they would have at that level. I would like to see something like a reverse bolster. If you are lvl 45 helping out your lvl 20 friend you would be kicked down to lvl 20 and could join up with them for quests. You would lose the ability to use any powers that you got after lvl 20 and both of you still get xp instead of blowing through the mission for them and getting no xp for you and only the mission reward for your friend.


It could really help smaller guilds where someone has a lower level toon and they cannot play with many of the others because of the level difference.
Dear BW,
Please nerf paper and buff rock. Scissors is fine as is.
Signed, Rock.

spoonguy's Avatar


spoonguy
02.15.2012 , 08:08 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Newsinz View Post
Hey everyone,

So there has been a lot of talk on this in the past. I'm actually surprised it has not been brought up in the suggestion box considering there were so many in favor of the idea!

Basically this system would allow higher level players to scale down to lower level content and play with friends who might be to low of a level to actually have any fun running around with their higher level friends.

This also would allow those who RP to apprentice another player.

You could allow some stuff to be replayed. They could gain legacy XP and Credits. Honestly, being level 50 myself I wouldn't care if I didn't get anything for helping other then having a good time with lower level guildmates etc etc.

If anyone else has something to add to this please do!
Its good for getting new people on board, they introduced it in EQ2 and it meant i could easily pitch in and help new starters or guild mates could help my alts.

Newsinz's Avatar


Newsinz
02.16.2012 , 02:52 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by HelinCarnate View Post
I have seen a few games like this as well. Most go the other way however and allow the higher level to mentor a lower level and give them the HP that they would have at that level. I would like to see something like a reverse bolster. If you are lvl 45 helping out your lvl 20 friend you would be kicked down to lvl 20 and could join up with them for quests. You would lose the ability to use any powers that you got after lvl 20 and both of you still get xp instead of blowing through the mission for them and getting no xp for you and only the mission reward for your friend.


It could really help smaller guilds where someone has a lower level toon and they cannot play with many of the others because of the level difference.
Opps! Maybe my original post was confusing sorry for that! Thats what I was trying to say. Kick the higher level down to the lower level