Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lucas-Jar Jar, genius?

Jmannseelo
02.13.2012 , 11:05 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by PibbyPib View Post
My 9-year-old nephew thinks poop is funny.

Nine year olds aren't often a good barometer-- that's all I'm saying.
When it comes to a character specifically made for them, they are absolutely the best "barometer" of all. Infinitely better than overly cynical adults blinded by nostalgia.

PibbyPib
02.13.2012 , 11:15 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Jmannseelo View Post
When it comes to a character specifically made for them, they are absolutely the best "barometer" of all. Infinitely better than overly cynical adults blinded by nostalgia.
Of their own tastes, of course-- that goes without saying. But Lucas wasn't (apparently) meaning to make a movie exclusively for 9-year-olds. You can appeal to little kids without annoying the hell out of adults.

Nyo-Than
02.13.2012 , 06:51 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Chuckskyline View Post
You know Kids turn into Adults.

And using the Nostalgia goggles.. Those kids turned Adults will love Jar Jar...

the same reason why we love R2/c-3po
You obviously got what i was saying. I do believe if the movies were made in sequential order there would be similar rage about how bad of a character c3po is lol

drfumblez
02.13.2012 , 06:58 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Liquidacid View Post
well no kidding... how would a 9 year old be used to measure atmospheric pressure.. well maybe if you feed them a lot of mercury... tho that might be considered morally questionable
I snorted my Diet Coke reading that.
LOL.

DarthHeir
02.13.2012 , 07:03 PM | #15
I was a kid when I first saw ep. 1 and I hated Jar Jar so much, and as a young adult I just hate him more.
DarthHeir: So awesome I don't need an avatar.
Ξ{}※▒э█████████████████████████████████)

Lightstrake
02.13.2012 , 07:12 PM | #16
When I was younger [I'm turning 15 in April], I never had a problem with Jar Jar. Sure he was a annoying, more than some, but never hated him. In fact, watching it in 3D was amazing. He never annoyed me, and I heard all the little kids laughing [including my mother] at Jar Jar's jokes/voice.

I thought the funniest thing in the movie was the part when someone in the crowd shouting "Stranger Danger" when Qui Gon lifted Anakin onto his pod racer.

I. Laughed. My. ***. Off.

I think people who hated this movie should watch it again in theaters. It was one of the movies I didn't think was amazing in the SW Universe, but after watching it in 3D, IT WAS AMAZING TO ME.

You won't be disappointed, I think we're just missing the movies on the big screen again. =D

ErikModi
02.13.2012 , 07:33 PM | #17
Jar-Jar is another of the archetypal characters in the Hero myths, the Loveable Fool (yes, I'm aware a lot of people hate him, bear with me.) Take, for instance, Merry and Pippin in Lord of the Rings, Scooby and Shaggy, or C-3PO. These are characters who either succeed because their purity of intention overcomes their incompetence, or their continued failure makes the Hero's Journey more interesting, adding dramatic complications. Heck, Inspector Gadget was a show CENTERED on the Lovable Fool.

Now, I think the character could have been done better to appeal to a broader audience, but he's more than just little-kid slapstick.
Jedi vs. Sith, Page 97, column 2, paragraph 4, line 1:

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

Jimudthesecond
02.13.2012 , 07:43 PM | #18
Jar-Jar always represented innocence (spell check) to me. Never hated him because kids love him! And you have to appeal to as many as possible! and ofc every 1 hates him he got manipulated by the emporer to agree to being part of this dark plan! Noob.

RagnarokJC
02.13.2012 , 07:48 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by PibbyPib View Post
Of their own tastes, of course-- that goes without saying. But Lucas wasn't (apparently) meaning to make a movie exclusively for 9-year-olds. You can appeal to little kids without annoying the hell out of adults.
This. Look to films like The Incredibles and Up for examples of films aimed at kids that adults can also enjoy.
"Consider it a health timer. Go outside and run until the timer expires, fatty."
- Darthjazzyjeff

Rogue_Eagle
02.13.2012 , 07:51 PM | #20
shamelessly as an 11 year old child I laughed my arse off at Jar Jar.

Now I too, detest him.