Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[HM Taral V] Getting locked out after final boss

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
[HM Taral V] Getting locked out after final boss

maxbaby
02.13.2012 , 11:06 AM | #11
Never die on the final boss. One person should be alive otherwise you will be locked out of loot. If you see you'll wipe - don't kill boss. Wipe.

Some people kill boss at one of the farthest rooms of the instance - behind the little room with the staircase.
Some people kill him behind the corner in hall leading to his room.
Some people disable two turrets, CC other two and aoe adds killing him where he stands.

Duymon
02.13.2012 , 11:29 AM | #12
bring CC....

Kill the back two turrets 1st, then when the robots pop, cc one side and dps down the other side. On the second pull CC the side with only 2 robots, have your tank pop cooldowns, aoe, whatever to grab the side with 4, burn the boss and then burn the ads.

Very doable with a competent group.

Fdzzaigl
02.13.2012 , 12:19 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Duymon View Post
bring CC....

Kill the back two turrets 1st, then when the robots pop, cc one side and dps down the other side. On the second pull CC the side with only 2 robots, have your tank pop cooldowns, aoe, whatever to grab the side with 4, burn the boss and then burn the ads.

Very doable with a competent group.
This is not about how to do it. It's about dying on the last boss of a hardmode locking you out because of the quest completing.

I know perfectly well how to do it (and pulling him back into earlier rooms is a far easier method), however, as I said, I'm running HM's with new 50's to get them geared, which means we can often not DPS him down fast enough to avoid being overwhelmed with adds.

Other hardmode final bosses have exactly the same problem, it's just more apparent on this one.

Nishka
02.13.2012 , 02:50 PM | #14
So first night we do False Emperor and two of our guildies get punted into the abyss right before we "killed" the boss. They did not get loot nor quest completion. The chest piece dropped for one of the ones out of the instance...

That is just a horrible mechanic, you should be able to reenter the instance.

Second night we do Taral V, same issue we didnt beat down the boss fast enough and get eaten by annoying enrage timer. Hate enrage timers. So second try we go in and take down the turrets and deal with first set of spawns. Fight the boss and then I (the healer) get killed when all the spawns pop up and aim for me, while he is doing his CAOE of death. The group works to kill him and they do, but the adds are still up and they just dont have any tricks up to keep going and they get torn down. Well we completed it legit, and we get locked out of the instance, no return, no loot. That is TOTAL BS.

Again I state, That is just a horrible mechanic, you should be able to reenter the instance to get your loot.
------

Please go out and watch spaceballs so you can get the jokes.

Auelaen
02.13.2012 , 03:25 PM | #15
I get the reasoning for the lockout after the boss dies, but it is not the best way to do it. In theory, if there was no lockout, the boss could go down, group loots and wipes, encounter resets and they can farm him all day. It would be much more effective to set the whole encounter to unlock a chest when it is complete and either do not reward the quest (and close off the instance) until boss, adds and turrets are down or even better until the conversation is completed.

We had a similar issue our first run of False emperor: DPS got knocked off the bridge, auto-zoned out, Malgus died and DPS was locked out for the loot and quest completion. However, I doubt this is something that will be changed, since it is basically something you learn to avoid after the first time you get burned.

sikandar
02.13.2012 , 04:12 PM | #16
Instead of returning to the MedCenter (outside the instance), why not just return to the last checkpoint in the instance? That is usually the site of the last major boss kill. That seems like a reasonable solution. So for Taral V, it would be right inside the bunker after it has collapsed.
I think I will wear pants today...maybe

Auelaen
02.13.2012 , 04:22 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by sikandar View Post
Instead of returning to the MedCenter (outside the instance), why not just return to the last checkpoint in the instance? That is usually the site of the last major boss kill. That seems like a reasonable solution. So for Taral V, it would be right inside the bunker after it has collapsed.
Reviving in zone would potentially allow for a person to run back into the fight after a death. The fights are designed to be either beat without any death or at most 1 with an in-combat revive. People could pull a boss near the revive point and effectively zerg the boss until they finish him off.

lordhelmos
02.13.2012 , 04:52 PM | #18
I just had a major issue with this as well and received the same response from a CS rep.

RIFT, WoW, and MMOs released YEARS before this problem do not have issues with unfair mechanics locking people out of loot.

For WoW and RIFT, you simply can't enter the dungeon while the group is in combat with a boss to prevent respawn zerging. Additionally, players in an instance had that instance ID saved ONLY to that party and only up to that boss.

Once a boss was killed the instance ID was saved to that group, a new person couldn't come in and reap rewards and older party members can still come back and loot a dead boss even if they fell off a cliff, died in a fire, or whatever during a boss fight.

TOR is supposed to be a next generation AAA MMO, why is it so backwards? Why can't they get simply things right that have already existed in other games that have preceeded TOR for years?