Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Desktop Hardware Q&A

Kritane
02.11.2012 , 12:29 AM | #671
Hello all, thanks for looking I want to know if its worth switching the CPU and MB to i5 2500k, if it will actually make that much of a difference. It will cost me about 100 bucks, I have someone willing to by my FX-8120 atm. I only care about games.

I currently have.

FX-8120
Gigabyte 970A-UD3
GTX 560 TI
Win 7 64bit
8gb corsair vengance
basic western digital hdd. 200gb

On a side not i have an x-fi sound card i got about 4 years ago I think its called Extreme Music. I paid around $120. will the onboard sound be better then my sound card now?

Shingara
02.12.2012 , 12:14 AM | #672
im wondering something, i have heard this game is very cpu intensive with multi cores. now what im wondering is how many cores can this game use in total or will it just grab and use as many cores are as avilable to the client.

Im asking this cos im clinging onto my 1090t black thats sat happily running at 4ghz like its made of fairy gold dust and waiting for the FX-8190 or piledriver to see what they are like.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

mrshift
02.13.2012 , 02:56 AM | #673
Original post: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=295960. (Closed by admin.)

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone on the forum is using a Radeon HD 4870, and if it is behaving for them.

I am still encountering flickering (small, square) artefacts and freezes (every 10-15 seconds), genuinely making SWTOR unplayable. I've also had two hard reboots, which is why I stopped playing for some time. Drivers are completely up to date, shadows off, bloom off.

I guess I'm employing process of elimination, and trying to establish just where the problem is.

I'm considering upgrading to a GeForce GTX 560, but I'd need to be confident that:

1. The HD 4870 is giving others graphical/gameplay issues, AND
2. Others using the GTX 560 consistently report no graphical problems.

I'd rather not shell out c.£150 and be no better off.

Cheers!

(Windows 7 Pro x64, 8Gb RAM.)

Update: apologies for not posting more detailed specs. And yes, I'm running the latest Catalyst application profiles.

DxDiag info:

Spoiler

CPU-Z info:

Spoiler

Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

AzazaelLoki
02.13.2012 , 10:04 AM | #674
Here is what I am looking at ordering in the next day or two.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=22575188

I can't really go too much higher on price, but am happy to go lower if possible

Things to note:
I have an existing case and HD I am happy with (for now). The case has pretty good airflow already, I just have fan dying which is why the Noctua is on the list.
I understand I may need to upgrade the PSU if/when I ever decide to put in a 2nd GPU.
I will be OCing the CPU.

I am just looking for other's peoples inputs. In the thread I posted that got closed, people didn't seem to like the 600w PSU I had, so I have upgraded to the 750 (better company to imo Thermaltake > Corsiar).

AzazaelLoki
02.13.2012 , 10:55 PM | #675
Quote: Originally Posted by AzazaelLoki View Post
Here is what I am looking at ordering in the next day or two.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=22575188

I can't really go too much higher on price, but am happy to go lower if possible

Things to note:
I have an existing case and HD I am happy with (for now). The case has pretty good airflow already, I just have fan dying which is why the Noctua is on the list.
I understand I may need to upgrade the PSU if/when I ever decide to put in a 2nd GPU.
I will be OCing the CPU.

I am just looking for other's peoples inputs. In the thread I posted that got closed, people didn't seem to like the 600w PSU I had, so I have upgraded to the 750 (better company to imo Thermaltake > Corsiar).
bump?

Maliciousjed
02.14.2012 , 01:14 PM | #676
System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer eMachines
Model ET1831
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 918 GB
Disk partition (C: ) 832 GB Free (918 GB Total)
Media drive (D: ) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i
Total available graphics memory 1919 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1663 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.5896
Primary monitor resolution 1024x768
DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

I've heard to make it a gaming computer, i would have to buy a new graphics chip and a new power supply that is fine.. im wondering which ones and if it doable with this machine. thank you in advance

Odincore
02.14.2012 , 01:25 PM | #677
I recently built a whole new computer just to play swtor. And for this build I got a nice 64gig SATA III SSD to run the OS\Swtor\Important Programs. As my slave I have a 250gig SATA II.

I was very excited when my new machine hit 17 seconds from dead to desktop. But my happyness was shattered when I got Swtor installed and Reved it up only to still wait forever on a load screen at login. I saw a much better time going planet to planet. I have tripled checked that all my files are on the SSD and not on the HDD.

I run a 12meg connection that averages around 12.3meg 60-70 MS with no drops or slowdowns.

I tried several things thinking maybe something was wrong...but it wouldn't explain the better P To P load time. I ended up blaming bio for slow servers.

So my question is anyone else have an SSD and still have horrid login times?
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

Zadtro
02.15.2012 , 05:13 PM | #678
I am not very good with computers and i have done my best to learn. I am wondering whether this is a good build to play swtor and the odd other game here and there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks =]

My build is:

Intel® Core™i7-2700k Quad Core (3.50GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics
ASUS® P8Z68-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX (Motherboard)
16GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (4 X 4GB)
1GB AMD RADEON™ HD6770 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - DX® 11
1TB SATA-II 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
COOLIT ECO II A.L.C ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER
NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller with upto 5 Fitted Case Fans

If i am doing something wrong please say. Thankyou for any responses =]

blowmedown
02.15.2012 , 06:06 PM | #679
Quote: Originally Posted by Zadtro View Post
I am not very good with computers and i have done my best to learn. I am wondering whether this is a good build to play swtor and the odd other game here and there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks =]

My build is:

Intel® Core™i7-2700k Quad Core (3.50GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics
ASUS® P8Z68-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX (Motherboard)
16GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (4 X 4GB)
1GB AMD RADEON™ HD6770 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - DX® 11
1TB SATA-II 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
COOLIT ECO II A.L.C ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER
NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller with upto 5 Fitted Case Fans

Overkill in some areas and needs more in others. I think your in the UK? if so put up a link to where you buy parts or is this a prebuilt system?

Odincore
02.15.2012 , 06:16 PM | #680
Quote: Originally Posted by Zadtro View Post

My build is:

Intel® Core™i7-2700k Quad Core (3.50GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics Check!

ASUS® P8Z68-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX (Motherboard) Check!

16GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (4 X 4GB) Upgrade for performance: See if you can get some ram at least 1600MHZ your mobo can handle it.

1GB AMD RADEON™ HD6770 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - DX® 11 Upgrade for performance: If your going to do radion id say at least a 6800 series but take it even higher maybe a 6900 series if its in your budget.

1TB SATA-II 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 32MB CACHE (7,200rpm) Upgrade for performance: try to get one that is a SATA III (6gb\s) or if your looking for crazy get a solid state drive (SSD) for insane load times (they are pretty expensive though). You can still use your 1TB as a slave. Note: your mobo has only 2 SATA III (6gb\s) slots (grey slots)

600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan Upgrade for performance: at least 700 watt is the new standard for these types of builds, 600 will work but future upgrades may wain on it.

COOLIT ECO II A.L.C ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER Check!

NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller with upto 5 Fitted Case Fans Check!

Colored text in quote.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.