Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why The Original Trilogy Wasn't Much Better Than The Prequels

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why The Original Trilogy Wasn't Much Better Than The Prequels

Talkative
02.12.2012 , 07:16 PM | #31
I didn't fall asleep during any of the original trilogy; to this day I can sit through Empire even if I've been awake for 3 days straight.

I fell asleep in the theatre the first time I saw TPM. Keep in mind I was in New York, so there were people having lightsaber duels in the aisles and **** all through the movie.

That's pretty much how I judge them.
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever. - Robert Ricciardi

Clawdaddy
02.12.2012 , 07:17 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by kraidy View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEanZ-Ex5Uw

This scene alone was better then anything in that crappy pos called the PT.
Nuff said.

Gantoris_Aym
02.12.2012 , 07:21 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by ManuNegra View Post
This is like saying The Old Repbulic (or whatever new game you want) is nowhere near as influential as pong was, and is therefore worse.
the difference is that the game that came out after pong had pong as an inspiration to draw from. and the fact the Lucas had to battle the film industry just to get the OT made is something that made the OT so special. Also, pong didn't change the way video games were played.

try - legend of Zelda or Mario

and this doesn't disprove what I said. because you can't assume that video games adhere to the EXACT same values that movies do. And I acknowledge how great Ocarina of Time was, but I like Skyward Sword ALMOST as much. So yeah, you can value a game because of it's influence. That doesn't mean that I am going to hate on Wind Waker and Majora's Mask, but I am going to play the game that has the most nostalgia to me. and Honestly, I have no problem with the prequels, but I grew up in the 90s and the first movies I remember seeing in theaters were the special edition OT SW movies, and nothing has come close to that since.

Go back and watch the OT... the emotion and the character development is so much more real, so much more potent, and so much more moving than the PT.

DarthDeangelis
02.12.2012 , 09:46 PM | #34
I agree that one reason that the Prequals get so much hate is because they weren't as "Jaw dropping" as the origionals. To see something like that in the 70's was like "ZOMG!!!". When the Phantom Menace came out movies like Jurassic Park had already come out and it wasn't as amazing as the initial movies.

Bad acting? Now im no movie critic or expert, but i thought the majority of the acting in the films was fine, EXCEPT for Anakin, who is unfortunetly the main character.

Plot holes? Not many.

Don't bring up the Trade Federation situation, the flying text states that the Republic has taxed trade routes. This obviously hurts the TRADE Federation. So they blockade Naboo to make a statement. They become partners with Palpatine, presumably promised great power or unlimited credits or something. Not that hard to figure out, though you do have to think a little.

The only other plothole (or idiocy) i can think of off the top of my head is why did Jango need another bounty hunter to do his work?

The Origionals have plotholes.

Why the hell was Lando wearing Han's clothes at the end of Empire?

Why did it take the gang years to rescue Han even though they knew exactly where he was going (got both from Family Guy :P ).

How come no one thinks of the idea to leave a planet on the opposite side of a blockade? I don't remember seeing THAT many Star Destroyers on Hoth.

Why was the Rebel fleet flying away from the Galaxy at the end of Empire?

Characters? Jar Jar was pretty bad. However, i went to see Star Wars in 3D, he was a pain in the *** some of the time, but honestly i found my self laughing at some of his shinanigans like the tongue in the energy beam. The rest of the Gungans are alright by me.

The Ewoks, honeslty i don't think they're that bad, although i would have preferred Wookies. They're not even THAT cute. Have you seen some of them? Sure they're small and furry but some of they're faces are just...bleh.

I LOVE ALL of the Star Wars movies. Its Star Wars. I wish we could all just get along. Admittedly, Ep 1 is my least favorite but i still love it.

When i went to see Star Wars in 3D on Friday, i was proud to be a Star Wars fan. People were in Jedi robes and yelling "Woot! STAR WARS! May the force be with us!" when those famous words that we all love "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away" came onto the screen.

I am going to see every re-release. This is our time to see the movies we (or at least I) love. **** Twilight. **** Harry Potter. **** these Disney movies and chick flicks.

I...I think that covers it.
Celebrate victory, but humbly. The dead man would not want us to gloat.