Sith Warrior - Laying Waste (Grathan Estate) - Bonus Item

Slaign

When you do Laying Waste, the mission in which Baras sends you to kill Lord Grathan's son, if you choose to spare his wife and son, she offers you your choice of either credits or an item of power.

I chose to ask her for an item of power. As I was leaving Dromund Kaas, I was confronted by a Sith, who said he was there "to deliver this item from Lady Grathan. It will greatly enhance that new ship of yours."

However, he then said Lord Grathan wanted me dead because I knew to much, and attacked me. I killed him, but never received any item. I would assume it would be a ship part, but no such item was anywhere to be found. The body could not be looted, and I didn't get anything of the sort as a quest reward.

What gives? Is this a bug? I would just assume I had been fully betrayed and there was no reward, but for the guy to say it would enhance my ship is oddly specific for a reward that never existed.

No reward/item, the guy says it just so...

a. you have your guard down.

b. he can get close enough to attack you.

I don't think so. Not the way the dialog unfolds. He blatantly tells you he's going to try to kill you, so what would be the point of such subterfuge?

I basically made this thread to make sure I didn't miss anything personally. If there is genuinely no way to get your reward I see it as a bug or oversight.

It's not the first time I've seen something like this. I actually wonder if Bioware intended for your choices in quests to reward you in different ways, but dropped that feature in favor of balance (so that people didn't feel like they "had" to make a certain choice for the best rewards) and didn't / weren't able to change the dialog to reflect that.

For example, in the Korriban series for Sith Warrior, you have to judge prisoners. Later, the overseer judges your performance. If you do all 3 exactly the way he would want, he says something like "A perfect performance, I think that deserves a special reward," but the reward for the quest is exactly the same.

That one seems more likely than Laying Waste to be just "flavor" text and the "Special" reward is just the reward you get for the quest anyway, but still... I can't think of any more specific examples, but I feel like it's fairly frequent that someone claims to be giving me something that I never receive.

If they really did once have and then removed the ability to receive special rewards from certain choices, that's disappointing, but I understand I suppose.

Ah another case of sith backstabbing you should of known that working with grathan wife that she will backstab you down the road. I let the wife live to see what it is like (cause people tell me that LS sith are still sith I hold the opinion that once you go light side you are not sith.) I knew she would betray me because thats what sith do and its the way of the dark side. Plus its foolish to trust a sith to keep their end of the deal. So I kill her and the son every single time I love being dark side. :D

So yes you where betrayed she used you to kill her husband so she can gain more power/ she used the promise of rewards to entice you to make a deal with her so in the end she manipulated you to get what she wants and wanted to get rid of you since you knew too much.

Edited by lokdron

Ah another case of sith backstabbing you should of known that working with grathan wife that she will backstab you down the road. I let the wife live to see what it is like (cause people tell me that LS sith are still sith I hold the opinion that once you go light side you are not sith.) I knew she would betray me because thats what sith do and its the way of the dark side. Plus its foolish to trust a sith to keep their end of the deal. So I kill her and the son every single time I love being dark side. :D

So yes you where betrayed she used you to kill her husband so she can gain more power/ she used the promise of rewards to entice you to make a deal with her so in the end she manipulated you to get what she wants and wanted to get rid of you since you knew too much.

Fairly certain it is the son who betrays you as I remember the assassin saying that Lord Grathan(aka the son pretending to be Lord Grathan) was the one who ordered the kill. Hmmm or maybe it is just the son if you.....have intimate negotiations with the wife.

Fairly certain it is the son who betrays you as I remember the assassin saying that Lord Grathan(aka the son pretending to be Lord Grathan) was the one who ordered the kill. Hmmm or maybe it is just the son if you.....have intimate negotiations with the wife.

Remember the wife speaks through the son as she said in her plan. Plus the son does not seem smart enough to do that and it seems that he listens to what ever his mother says. Lets not forget this happens to both male and female sith warriors that choose to work with grathan's wife.

Edited by lokdron

Remember the wife speaks through the son as she said in her plan. Plus the son does not seem smart enough to do that and it seems that he listens to what ever his mother says. Lets not forget this happens to both male and female sith warriors that choose to work with grathan's wife.

I don't buy it at all. The wife meant to keep the deal, I'm pretty sure of that. You say the son wasn't "smart enough" to come up with having you put down for knowing to much? I contest that the son was to foolish to understand what a stupid idea that was. I contest that the wife is to smart to betray you so soon.

She knows you can defeat her and her son. She knows you can infiltrate her fortress and disable her security. She knows that crossing you would be a foolish and unnecessary move. She is very capable of schmoozing up to those in power, and understands the advantages of doing so. Conversely, her son is foolish enough to get a taste of power and think he's above you.

That leads me to believe the wife did in fact order an item sent to me. I think the son chose the Sith messenger, and told him to try to kill me. It would make the most sense for that messenger to keep up appearances by having the item on him, and that means I should have been able to loot it.

I think the fact that Bioware took the time to explain what the item was, and make it something that would mechanically reward the player, paints a picture of the intention to actually reward the player. Why would the assassin mention that the item was a ship part? Why mention what it is at all? If I was never meant to get it, why is it an item that would make gameplay sense rather than something more intriguing like a sith holocron?

I dunno, I just feel in my gut that the quest was designed around giving you a ship upgrade as a special reward, but that either they later decided not to do that, or the quest is bugged. I think you were supposed to receive your reward, and the betrayal subplot was supposed to play out in that the son sent an assassin as a messenger.

The gift to enhance your ship was the ship droid. Obviously if you had done the quest differently it would not have mattered as the droid just greets you when you enter as his new amster regardless of how you got him. So its more stroyline gift than an actual one. (she already put out for you, what more do you want?? roses??)

• 2 months later...

This is what I thought as well. I figured he was angry I "defiled" his mommy. :D

But after choking a few people and doing some sith-guy thinking time, I realized why he wants you dead: You killed his dad, deflowered his mother, and punked him down like a pimp working one of his girls. He knows you can kill him at any time, so it's no surprise he'd try to off you. Not only that, but it just a very "Sith" thing to do. :D

Also, I agree that his mother wasn't the one who sent the assassin.

Some of the dialog options when talking with the assassin tell you that Grathan himself ordered the attack, not the boy's mother. The assassin has no idea the real Grathan is dead, and further dialog reveals that his master's word and desires trumps that of his wife's. Also, futher dialog hints that the assassin knows you slept with her (if that's the route you went), and that may be the reason he was given to kill you.

• 1 month later...
I received the Item of Power (a lightsaber hilt or a mod) as soon as the cutscene was over, if I recall correctly. It popped up as a quest reward window, and I didn't see the same window on my 2nd Sith Warrior when I didn't ask for an item of power. I don't recall any instance of her saying it had anything to do with my ship.

• 8 months later...