Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Was Dooku's execution planned?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Was Dooku's execution planned?

DatBoiKeeKee
02.12.2012 , 12:09 AM | #1
I was watching Ep 3 and I was wondering if Sidious had planned Dooku's execution by Anakin.

It's possible that Sidious had instructed for Dooku to incapacitate Kenobi first during their fight, to leave him and Anakin in a 1v1, and in the likely event that Anakin disarmed Dooku, Kenobi would be out of the picture and leave Sidious open to order Dooku's execution.

There is no way that Dooku would have been executed had Kenobi still been conscious and in the fight.

ErikModi
02.12.2012 , 12:34 AM | #2
Exactly.

The RotS novel spells it out beautifully. Dooku thought he and Sidious were going to try and turn Anakin together. Palptine was planning all along to test Anakin by seeing if he would kill Dooku with essentially no provocation.
Jedi vs. Sith, Page 97, column 2, paragraph 4, line 1:

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

MORTTUUM
02.12.2012 , 02:18 AM | #3
Actually, I suspect that the only reason for Dooku's existence was so Lucas could (sort of) finish the "Hammer Films" reunion by getting Christopher Lee in Star Wars somewhere...

ErikModi
02.12.2012 , 02:22 AM | #4
Made all the more amusing by, during the filming of the AotC Dooku/Yoda duel, George helping to wheel out a statue of Yoda, and saying "OKay, Chris, here's your opponent," and Yoda has a set of paper vampire fangs taped to his mouth.

Christopher Lee's response? "Oh, George. . . I didn't think you were going to do this to me."

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

Fyurii
02.12.2012 , 02:40 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MORTTUUM View Post
Actually, I suspect that the only reason for Dooku's existence was so Lucas could (sort of) finish the "Hammer Films" reunion by getting Christopher Lee in Star Wars somewhere...
Just wish it could've been a younger Christopher Lee.
His swordsmanship in movies is absolutely brilliant. The Four Musketeers shows it beautifully. Partly why it's one of my favourite film duels of all time.
________║≤o≥║___________
/_______TROOPER___≡≡≡≡≡≡≡╡
\_/‾‾‾‾ // ╝‾‾╚▄▄▄▄▄/‾‾‾‾‾

Slift
02.12.2012 , 04:20 AM | #6
Probably.

Dooku was the LEADER of the Seperatist forces, well, officially.

Obi Wan -might- have argued 'we should capture him alive!', but I dunno... Dude was kinda responsible for a lot of deaths, at least in the Jedi's eyes. Grevious, Sev'rance Tann, Durge, Jango Fett, Cydon Prax and other separatists didn't find much 'capture them alive'. (Really, those captured during the Clone Wars series are pretty much written that way because murdering bad guys isn't kiddy.)

On the other hand? Dooku DID sorta remove one of Anakin's limbs last time. Dooku could have assumed 'Well, I beat this punk once, I better disable the competent fighter before finishing this idiot'.

On the other OTHER hand, It could have been that he was commanded by Darth Sidious to fight Anakin alone for... Uh. Whatever reason. He certainly didn't expect for the Sidious to reveal himself (And it's fairly clear that he didn't know Sidious was the chancellor from the books and actual fight scene) and order his death.

In the end, the 'Chosen one' was Sidious' target since the very begining. Anakin was picked out after the battle of Naboo (Probably before then, during the visit to Curoscant). What better apprentice than the manifestation of the living force created by your predecessor's experiments in defeating death itself? Maul and Dooku were means to an end. Puppets trained and played against the future apprentice to twist fate down the right road.

Qui-gon, killed by Maul, would have kept Anakin aware of the dark side by teaching him to relax and calm himself like he did with Obi Wan. Dooku created the uprising needed to create unrest in the galaxy while Sidious promised Anakin that the galaxy would have peace under his rule, it also served to allow Anakin to be aggressive and be fueled by the clones serving his every command. Teaching a padawan to show restraint and peace is impossible during a war after all.

ErikModi
02.12.2012 , 04:26 AM | #7
Of course Dooku knew Sidious and Palpatine were the same person. That was the whole point. He thought he was going to lead the new Sith Empire by Palpatine's side, and instead was traded in for the younger, prettier model.

Fyurii
02.12.2012 , 12:13 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ErikModi View Post
Of course Dooku knew Sidious and Palpatine were the same person. That was the whole point.
And isn't the point of this thread.
What was being asked, is whether or not Palpatine planned Dooku's death by Anakin's hand.
The blatant answer is, yes. Dooku didn't even see it coming, as shown by the look on his face when Palps says "Kill him".
________║≤o≥║___________
/_______TROOPER___≡≡≡≡≡≡≡╡
\_/‾‾‾‾ // ╝‾‾╚▄▄▄▄▄/‾‾‾‾‾

Jenel
02.12.2012 , 12:27 PM | #9
To qoute Yoda "always two there are. A Master, and an Apprentice." This is the way of the Sith, it's deadmans boots. Sidious used Dooku for what he needed which was a figurehead for the Seperatists and to lead them in the war. His objective since Ep1 was always Anakin, he knew he was the chosen one, he could probably feel the force radiating from him. But he couldn't get to him, so he befriended him whenever he could, twisting his thoughts and laying the seeds of doubt and mistrust. And then when it was time, bamn. He claimed him.
WTB a Female Trooper Avatar.

Kabloosh
02.12.2012 , 12:42 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenel View Post
To qoute Yoda "always two there are. A Master, and an Apprentice." This is the way of the Sith, it's deadmans boots. Sidious used Dooku for what he needed which was a figurehead for the Seperatists and to lead them in the war. His objective since Ep1 was always Anakin, he knew he was the chosen one, he could probably feel the force radiating from him. But he couldn't get to him, so he befriended him whenever he could, twisting his thoughts and laying the seeds of doubt and mistrust. And then when it was time, bamn. He claimed him.
lol...

That just reminded me of the uncanny resemblance between the Catholic pope and Palpatine and that whole issue with catholic priests and little boys. Its like George knew all along.