Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

(Guide) Operations: Roles & you

BrandonDeLong
02.11.2012 , 04:08 PM | #1
As a Guild Leader & Operation Leader I get asked a lot of questions & concerns about Operations. While this won't be anywhere close to an entire guide about Operations. I do intend this as a guide to help people who are possibly new to Operation content understand their chances for getting into an operation purely based on there Class & Role. I hope this answers questions that some people have or may just add a little more knowledge for someone who wasn't 100% clear.

Class
While forming Operations the goal is to make a perfect balance of classes. For example if we run an 8man Operation we would like to have 2 of each class. While for a 16 man we would like to have 4.

Q) Why does Class balance matter?
A)
Proper balance results in every class having the same chance of getting into an operation. Currently the most important items that drop from Operation bosses are "Unassembled Gear Pieces" (AKA Tokens) only usable by a specific class. Proper class balance will help try to keep loot distribution fair. If we run with only 1 Jedi knight that means they get EVERY Jedi Knight token that drops while if we decided to take 4 Consulars each one has a much lower chance in getting anything.

Role (Sometimes referred to as 'spec' or specification)
It's probably safe to say if you're reading this you know what roles are used in SWTOR. Unlike your class your role can alter your chances greatly for getting into an Operation.

Q) What is a Role?
A)
A Role is defined as "a part played by a person in a particular situation". How that applies to SWTOR Operations means an individuals role in being a Tank, Healer, Melee DPS or Ranged DPS.

The current SWTOR Operation environment optimize around the following distribution of roles.

8 Man Option 1: 1 Tank, 2 Healers, 5 DPS.
or
8 Man Option 2: 2 Tanks, 2 Healers, 4 DPS.

16 Man Operation: 2 Tanks, 4 Healers, 10 DPS

I listed an "Optional Off-tank" simply because it's based on group preference. While currently both Eternity Vault & Karagga's Palace Normal, Hardmode & Nightmare can be completed with just 1 tank some find a higher "Quality of life" using 2 Tanks. In my experience most guilds prefer using 1 tank due to the DPS being more useful than the second Tank a majority of the time.

Simple math shows us the following chances of getting a spot.
8 Man Option 1: Tank 12.5%, Healer 25%, DPS 62.5%

8 Man Option 2: Tank 25%, Healer 25%, DPS 50%

16 Man Operation: Tank 25%, Healer 25%, DPS 50%

DPS: Ranged Vs. Melee
So right about now most DPS players are feeling pretty darn good seeing either 50% or 62.5% next to DPS but I'm going to have to burst a few bubbles because now we have to break DPS up between Ranged & Melee.

Q) I'm still killing the boss, why does it matter if I'm ranged or melee?
A)
Game Developers try to make boss encounters require both melee & ranged to properly complete the encounter. It could be the boss doing something that requires everyone to run away from him making a melee heavy group a poor choice or the opposite and everyone has to constantly be on the move which usually makes a ranged heavy group struggle.

Operation Leaders usually try to have an equal amount of melee & ranged in order to handle each fights mechanics properly. However unlike determining the proper number of Tanks, Healers & DPS. Choosing Melee & Ranged is more about an Operation leaders preferences than anything else.

Through discussions with other Operation Leaders this is what we've found to be the most successful for the current SWTOR Operation Environment.

8 Man Option 1: 1 Tank, 2 Healers, 3 Ranged DPS, 2 Melee DPS
or
8 Man Option 2: 2 Tanks, 2 Healers, 3 Ranged DPS, 1 Melee DPS.

16 Man Operation: 2 Tanks, 4 Healers, 6 Ranged DPS, 4 Melee DPS.

Q) Why are there more Ranged DPS than Melee DPS?
A)
This is again credited to balance. We'll use the 16 man as our example. Tanks not only take hits they also do Melee DPS this will result in 6 players within melee range of the boss & 6 ranged players placed wherever the encounter requires. Since Healers do not (usually) do any DPS you can consider their placement the "Wild Card" that gets played solely based on the individual mechanics.

Once again simple math shows us the following chances of getting a spot.
8 Man Option 1: Tank 12.5%, Healer 25%, Ranged DPS 37.5%, Melee DPS 25%

8 Man Option 2: Tank 25%, Healer 25%, Ranged DPS 37.5%, Melee DPS 12.5%

16 Man Operation: Tank 12.5%, Healer 25%, Ranged DPS 37.5%, Melee DPS 25%

Seeing the numbers laid out really puts perspective on how important roles truely are. While obviously skilled Tanks are the core beind any group, if you happen to play a Tank your chances of getting into an Operation are significantly lower than if you play a Ranged DPS.

Tip: If your Advanced class has the option of filling multiple roles and you have the skills. You can greatly increase your chances for getting into operations simply by being open to switching roles.

In closing I would like to say this guide is a compilation of different opinions and more importantly experiences of different players who regularly complete Operations. Please feel free to add or suggest any helpful information you may have. While technically you can stack a group any way you see fit I chose the options that have appeared to be the most popular & successful.
Legion is currently recruiting for PvE & PvP!
Legion Guild Leader Positron: 50 Vanguard
Server: Master Zhar Lestin

Trineda
02.11.2012 , 04:49 PM | #2
Hey there!

Interesting read for new players! We love to see threads like this and appreciate the effort you've put into the community!

Feiyd
02.11.2012 , 06:01 PM | #3
Sticky please
Feiyd

DarthVarrak
02.11.2012 , 08:07 PM | #4
I'm interested to see what you prefer for healers? There is a sticky in the Healer sub-forum of the class froums called Healing Niches. After a lot of talking and explaining it lists the following healer and their niche:

Mercenary/Commando: Single-target Heals (a.k.a Tank Healer)
Operative/Scoundrel: Raid Healer
Sorceror/Sage: Toolbox Healer.

Do you agree with these summaries and if you do, which combination do you prefer to have in 8 and 16 man Operations?
Vendri Aybara, Level 50 Bodyguard Merc
<Because Good Is Dumb>
Iron Citadel

BrandonDeLong
02.12.2012 , 01:13 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVarrak View Post
I'm interested to see what you prefer for healers? There is a sticky in the Healer sub-forum of the class froums called Healing Niches. After a lot of talking and explaining it lists the following healer and their niche:

Mercenary/Commando: Single-target Heals (a.k.a Tank Healer)
Operative/Scoundrel: Raid Healer
Sorceror/Sage: Toolbox Healer.

Do you agree with these summaries and if you do, which combination do you prefer to have in 8 and 16 man Operations?
Definately agree.

Commandos offer not only great single target mitigation & healing which makes them amazing at healing through large bursts of damage on a tank. Scoundrels are very HoT (Heal Over Time) intensive which makes them great for keeping heals on all members and keeping players health pools topped off while being more mobile. Sages are definately the "Jack of all trades" offering utility & mobility healing.

While any combination of healers can net you a successful kill. (For example we've successfully done 16 mans with 4 Sage heals) We would recommend the following.

8 Man Operation: 1 Sage, 1 Commando or Scoundrel.
16 Man Operation: 2 Sages, 1 Commando, 1 Scoundrel.

While each of the healers offer there own strengths we've found that there are more boss encounters that play to a healer sages strengths. AoE healing & Bubbles tip the scale greatly in our opinions.

Thanks again for the compliments.
Legion is currently recruiting for PvE & PvP!
Legion Guild Leader Positron: 50 Vanguard
Server: Master Zhar Lestin