Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Isn't Chronicle just a rip off of the force?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Isn't Chronicle just a rip off of the force?

ChewiesArmy
02.10.2012 , 09:11 PM | #1
Looks like it to me..but then I don't know crapo!
Skoll
<RISK>
Scoundrel of Port Nowhere

ReiKai
02.10.2012 , 09:52 PM | #2
1. Wrong place for this.
2. No.
3. Chronicle is a ripoff/remake of "The Covenant", a movie that came out back in 2006.
CE Owner: ...what? I wanted the music. I like music.
Statement: SGRA's - I support them. Do you have a problem with that, Meatbag?

Scyrax
02.10.2012 , 10:59 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by ReiKai View Post
1. Wrong place for this.
2. No.
3. Chronicle is a ripoff/remake of "The Covenant", a movie that came out back in 2006.
How is a movie about four ancient warlocks with magical powers the same as three random teenagers coming into surprise super powers?

The movie's premise is completely different.

Also, telekinesis existed before The Force.
Common sense is not so common.

MajinEddie
02.10.2012 , 11:02 PM | #4
Is swtor a ripoff of wow ?

Scyrax
02.10.2012 , 11:04 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MajinEddie View Post
Is swtor a ripoff of wow ?
Yes.

The Hobbit is also a rip-off of Beowulf.

ReiKai
02.10.2012 , 11:10 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Scyrax View Post
How is a movie about four ancient warlocks with magical powers the same as three random teenagers coming into surprise super powers?

The movie's premise is completely different.

Also, telekinesis existed before The Force.
It's all the same to me. Like with "I am Number 4", yet another teen with Super Powers. Oh and "Jumper". What did we have there? A Teen who had a super power. Not to mention "Push" which, admittedly, had adults with powers...oh and Teenagers and Kids with Super Psychic Powers. The Idea has been overdone.

Also, Covenant wasn't ancient warlocks. They were all Teens from Families born into magic which only fully develops when they *tah-day* 18.
CE Owner: ...what? I wanted the music. I like music.
Statement: SGRA's - I support them. Do you have a problem with that, Meatbag?

Scyrax
02.10.2012 , 11:15 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by ReiKai View Post
It's all the same to me. Like with "I am Number 4", yet another teen with Super Powers. Oh and "Jumper". What did we have there? A Teen who had a super power. Not to mention "Push" which, admittedly, had adults with powers...oh and Teenagers and Kids with Super Psychic Powers. The Idea has been overdone.

Also, Covenant wasn't ancient warlocks. They were all Teens from Families born into magic which only fully develops when they *tah-day* 18.
The bloodline was ancient, as in the Covenant, is what I was going for. Worded it weird.

The idea of having super human capabilities has been done every year for every year humans have been in existence. It's called imagination and a yearning to be something more.

Admittedly, some of those movies do run together and follow the same pattern of plot. However, Chronicle is quite different. It focuses on the realism of what would happen if three normal people suddenly became endowed with telekinetic ability. The film follows them as they progress in dealing with the powers and complications they bring, as well as trying to cope with their "normal" life. It puts a whole other take on the situation.

DarkCelestial
02.10.2012 , 11:26 PM | #8
when did star wars own the power of telekinesis?
"I fight for the future…and the future is NOW!"

Benfea
02.10.2012 , 11:38 PM | #9
Not a ripoff of the Force. Telekinesis powers are pretty standard fare in science fiction stories that are weak on the science part.

Besides, most of the powers of jedi knights was taken directly from the Lensmen anyway.
"It's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange."
-Takeshi Kaga

Ellvaan
02.11.2012 , 12:35 AM | #10
Greetings everyone!

We appreciate the question you put forth for discussion! We just wanted to give a small reminder that while we know this is also about another movie, that you please continue to relate it to the Star Wars™: Universe in some aspect for discussion.

Thank you!