Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Introduce a little bit of skill: Directional combat

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Introduce a little bit of skill: Directional combat

AngryBuddhist
02.10.2012 , 02:44 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by priestizzle View Post
That is quite a poor excuse in my opinion. There's nothing keeping you from holding right click and moving your screen to stay faced with your oponent, and that's how it should be. Autofacing leaves ZERO opportunity for anyone to outplay anyone else by way of movement and positioning. As i stated in my op, this is one of the few areas AoC did well.
You must be playing a game with decent client-server sync. That game IS NOT SWTOR.

And if you think AoC did ANYTHING right... well your opinion is massively discounted.

Typheran
02.10.2012 , 02:46 PM | #12
Way too much server lag for this.

Rheeling
02.10.2012 , 02:46 PM | #13
Auto-face does have a necessary place. Without it, casters would only be able to use their casted abilities (which are the majority of them) at near max range. Otherwise someone could just move behind/next to them and cancel it without an interrupt. If you think ranged are bad now, then melee would completely dominate the game if the removed auto-face.

It could be tweaked though. Such as:

Only let auto-face happen if you were actually facing the target at the start of the cast.

OR

Holding the right mouse button while you cast to allow you to change your character's orientation while you cast would allow you to continue casting (assuming you continued facing the target).

I think those are fair changes which still give both participants an equal chance. But right now, it's kind of a joke. I think the only class that should have full-time auto face is the Sniper/Gunslinger class, as they'd just spend all their global CD's re-placing cover.
Quote: Originally Posted by Smashface View Post
I imagine they pulled them from actual server data, as opposed to your source, which appears to be your arse.

priestizzle
02.10.2012 , 02:53 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by AngryBuddhist View Post
You must be playing a game with decent client-server sync. That game IS NOT SWTOR.

And if you think AoC did ANYTHING right... well your opinion is massively discounted.
AoC did most of everything wrong for the first 2-3 years of it's existence. Funcom is an awful company. Even now they still screw up their game but the fact of the matter is, as pvp in mmo's go, to this day, that game is the only one that relies solely on the skill of the player and not their gear (arguably now the AA's ruined everything but that's another tale for their forums)

I'm talking about swtor, and how it's nothing but a giant gear fest at the moment. I don't disagree that the client-server sync is awful, this needs to be fixed. This is a forum, and as such, is an area for discussion. As an area for discussion, i feel that carebear features, and lack of skill gap is going to be the last remaining wart on this game's pvp once all the major issues are ironed out months down the road unless some thought is brought to light as to eliminate the crutch of gear from pvp.

So please, offer a counter opinion, don't just troll someone who is attempting an honest and intelligent dialogue about the skill gap issue of this game. I am actually quite curious to hear your stance on the topic, despite your attempts at trolling me.

Arrianlol
02.10.2012 , 02:57 PM | #15
LOL@bads who think auto facing is necessary FOR ANY REASON. The only time autofacing even BENEFITS you is when you are casting right in a melee's face and he's running around. How you about you learn to kite instead of being terrible? Auto facing is dumb and it let's little kids stand still and spam abilities while melees actually have to pay attention to where people are standing.

Grubfist
02.10.2012 , 03:02 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by AngryBuddhist View Post
If you remove auto-face you need to make every ranged attack instant, or entire classes will be unplayable.

WoW used auto-facing on channeled ranged attacks also (magic missile). What's the big deal?

Without auto-facing (which is mostly only whined about by wanna be rogue back stabba's) the game rapidly degenrates into a bunny hopping joust fest that is complete ******try.
For channels, sure. Tracer missile/mind crush, etc are not channels, they are casts. Currently all offensive casts have autofacing.