Clone Wars Series: Where to Start?

JadeBranch

On this forum I've been hearing good things about this series and since I am trying to RP in the SW universe with little to no EU knowledge, I would like to try to expand out into these, especially since I don't feel like hopping into books yet.

The thing is, where am I supposed to start? There is the series itself but there is also the movie that came before the series that was like a pilot for the show. Do I start there? What about the cartoon series of the same name that looks a lot like Samurai Jack? Are those good too?

On this forum I've been hearing good things about this series and since I am trying to RP in the SW universe with little to no EU knowledge, I would like to try to expand out into these, especially since I don't feel like hopping into books yet.

The thing is, where am I supposed to start? There is the series itself but there is also the movie that came before the series that was like a pilot for the show. Do I start there? What about the cartoon series of the same name that looks a lot like Samurai Jack? Are those good too?

Starting with the film would be my recommendation. Although, I think the Clone Wars film is not as good as the rest of the series. Although, it's not that bad either, it just moves a little slow in my opinion. One great thing about the Clone Wars is that, at least for me, it just keeps getting better and better!

If you decided to skip the film, you could still understand everything that is going on. But you'd miss out on the introduction of Ahsoka who is a main character.

I'd advise the movie only to get an introduction to the primary cast of the series. The series lacks a real chronological order that's been revealed, but if you're going to watch it all just watch it by episode order (with a couple exceptions, IE, watching "Clone Cadets" (Season 3), then "Rookies" (Season 1), and finally "ARC Troopers" (Season 3) will get you that story in chronological order), then that may work so you can see how the series evolves over time.

The series is pretty hit & miss early on, to an almost sadistic degree, but once you get to Season 3 and Season 4, the episodes start becoming much more consistantly awesome.

I would have to agree. Start with episode ! of the series and watch the pilot movie.

As for the original Clone Wars series... I wasn't really all that big of a fan, but it's

not all that bad either :)

If it's RP your looking to get into then I would REALLY suggest the CGI animated

series that's on now and really avoid all the fan fic books and comics.

Of course, realize that the Clone Wars timeframe has nothing to do with this timeframe. For more info on this timeframe, I'd recommend the Knight of the Old Republic comics, the tie-in Old Republic comics and novels, and Jedi vs. Sith, which has some really interesting information about the early Jedi and Sith orders.

Of course, realize that the Clone Wars timeframe has nothing to do with this timeframe. For more info on this timeframe, I'd recommend the Knight of the Old Republic comics, the tie-in Old Republic comics and novels, and Jedi vs. Sith, which has some really interesting information about the early Jedi and Sith orders.

How much do the KOTOR comics and tie-in novels pull things from the kotor games? I wouldn't be interested in books like Revan because I'm not a fan of taking main characters that I was supposed to RP and turn them into someone else by making them canonical characters that I certainly don't care about.

In other words, if they don't have Revan or Exile in them then they sound good.

I'm not sure The Clone Wars actually qualifies are EU because it's entirely official and is part of the main story.

I should also say that I think season 3 is when it starts getting good. 1 and 2 are a bit pointless, shorter less cool plot arcs.

Edited by areto

I'm not sure The Clone Wars actually qualifies are EU because it's entirely official and is part of the main story.

I should also say that I think season 3 is when it starts getting good. 1 and 2 are a bit pointless, shorter less cool plot arcs.

the clone wars is George canon, it is not EU. Its basicaly at same level of the films canon wise.

I enjoy the series, actualy. But i dont see how it has anything to do with SWTOR.. swtor is Old republic, diferent timeframe. The KOToRs would be a better source though.

Edited by Spartanik

How much do the KOTOR comics and tie-in novels pull things from the kotor games?

The novels "Deception" & "Fatal Alliance" cover events that impact the lives of important NPCs from SWTOR on the timeline shortly before the game begins. While they aren't terrible, they are cotton candy for the mind of the sort typical a Star Trek or Dungeons&Dragon tie-in novel. I enjoyed them, but my expectations were spectacularly low. YMMV.

The KOTOR comics are the adventures of "failed" Jedi Padawan Zayne Carrick and his friends. They take place in the time period immediately before the KOTOR game, and the characters occasionally bump into characters from the KOTOR game. Alek Squinquargesimus who later becomes Darth Malak, the main bad guy in KOTOR, plays a recurring role as an ally/good guy, as does Carth Onassi, another major KOTOR NPC. Back issues are available in graphic novel format.

I love the comics- they have just the right blend of science fiction, dramatic adventure, comic-relief, KOTOR nostalgia and overall StarWars-i-ness. The first five volumes, which Zayne spends trying to prove his innocence of murder and bringing the guilty parties to justice, probably contains one of the best EU story arcs out there, maybe the best after KOTOR. "Wrongly accused of murder" probably sounds like the setup for a gritty anti-hero, but Carrick is more of a nice-guy comic-hero. It still seems to work somehow. I can't recommend them enough for a fan of Star Wars, KOTOR or comics generally.

I think the Clone Wars could be beneficial for an RPer in the sense that it will help me get a better grasp on the world. Aside from history and events, the 3000 year difference doesn't seem that big a deal. As I have played the KOTOR games and watched the original movies and they seemed pretty similar, despite taking place in different areas of the timeline.

I'm sure it would be more helpful to read the things referenced then. Maybe I will read the comics though...