Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Clone Wars Series: Where to Start?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Clone Wars Series: Where to Start?

JadeBranch
02.09.2012 , 02:48 PM | #1
On this forum I've been hearing good things about this series and since I am trying to RP in the SW universe with little to no EU knowledge, I would like to try to expand out into these, especially since I don't feel like hopping into books yet.

The thing is, where am I supposed to start? There is the series itself but there is also the movie that came before the series that was like a pilot for the show. Do I start there? What about the cartoon series of the same name that looks a lot like Samurai Jack? Are those good too?

iain_b
02.09.2012 , 02:53 PM | #2
The series that looks like Samurai Jack is the original animated series iirc. That's the only one that I've seen. I'm not a huge fan of the clone wars stuff, all my EU knowledge is ABY.
My Little Pwny
Kulok Dunar, Powertech and GM of MLP. Want to join? Click here for info.

Squadron 1020 & 367

Pharmakon
02.09.2012 , 02:59 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by JadeBranch View Post
On this forum I've been hearing good things about this series and since I am trying to RP in the SW universe with little to no EU knowledge, I would like to try to expand out into these, especially since I don't feel like hopping into books yet.

The thing is, where am I supposed to start? There is the series itself but there is also the movie that came before the series that was like a pilot for the show. Do I start there? What about the cartoon series of the same name that looks a lot like Samurai Jack? Are those good too?
Starting with the film would be my recommendation. Although, I think the Clone Wars film is not as good as the rest of the series. Although, it's not that bad either, it just moves a little slow in my opinion. One great thing about the Clone Wars is that, at least for me, it just keeps getting better and better!

If you decided to skip the film, you could still understand everything that is going on. But you'd miss out on the introduction of Ahsoka who is a main character.

LukeDanger
02.09.2012 , 03:11 PM | #4
I'd advise the movie only to get an introduction to the primary cast of the series. The series lacks a real chronological order that's been revealed, but if you're going to watch it all just watch it by episode order (with a couple exceptions, IE, watching "Clone Cadets" (Season 3), then "Rookies" (Season 1), and finally "ARC Troopers" (Season 3) will get you that story in chronological order), then that may work so you can see how the series evolves over time.

The series is pretty hit & miss early on, to an almost sadistic degree, but once you get to Season 3 and Season 4, the episodes start becoming much more consistantly awesome.

Lividcalm
02.09.2012 , 03:22 PM | #5
Just start with Season 1. If you like that you can go back and watch the original pilot.
Elryck - HAKD

Port Nowhere

xXIzazelXx
02.09.2012 , 10:24 PM | #6
I would have to agree. Start with episode ! of the series and watch the pilot movie.

As for the original Clone Wars series... I wasn't really all that big of a fan, but it's
not all that bad either

If it's RP your looking to get into then I would REALLY suggest the CGI animated
series that's on now and really avoid all the fan fic books and comics.

ErikModi
02.09.2012 , 10:40 PM | #7
Of course, realize that the Clone Wars timeframe has nothing to do with this timeframe. For more info on this timeframe, I'd recommend the Knight of the Old Republic comics, the tie-in Old Republic comics and novels, and Jedi vs. Sith, which has some really interesting information about the early Jedi and Sith orders.
Jedi vs. Sith, Page 97, column 2, paragraph 4, line 1:

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

JadeBranch
02.10.2012 , 02:02 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ErikModi View Post
Of course, realize that the Clone Wars timeframe has nothing to do with this timeframe. For more info on this timeframe, I'd recommend the Knight of the Old Republic comics, the tie-in Old Republic comics and novels, and Jedi vs. Sith, which has some really interesting information about the early Jedi and Sith orders.
How much do the KOTOR comics and tie-in novels pull things from the kotor games? I wouldn't be interested in books like Revan because I'm not a fan of taking main characters that I was supposed to RP and turn them into someone else by making them canonical characters that I certainly don't care about.

In other words, if they don't have Revan or Exile in them then they sound good.

ErikModi
02.10.2012 , 02:06 AM | #9
Then you're going to be disappointed, because Revan and Meetra Surik have been canon characters since the KotoR games came out.
Jedi vs. Sith, Page 97, column 2, paragraph 4, line 1:

Prior to the Battle of Ruusan, the Jedi used crystals from many different sources, and ignited lightsabers in every known hue, including purple, orange, and gold.

areto
02.10.2012 , 02:14 AM | #10
I'm not sure The Clone Wars actually qualifies are EU because it's entirely official and is part of the main story.

I should also say that I think season 3 is when it starts getting good. 1 and 2 are a bit pointless, shorter less cool plot arcs.
“People speak sometimes about the "bestial" cruelty of man, but that is terribly unjust and offensive to beasts, no animal could ever be so cruel as a man, so artfully, so artistically cruel.”