Another DOWNTIME tonight

daMarek

1) They have to update all the servers.

2) "small bugfixes" generally need days to be actually fixed and tested. A lot of the time something small might get away despite the testing and then you need to release a new patch to fix that.

People complaining about patches adding bugs have not worked as programmers so they do not know complicated bugfixes are. Which is completely understandable.

Most of the people complaining aren't complaining about patches adding new bugs.

The majority of people complaining are doing so because they are the ones being punished every time an "emergency" fix needs to be put in.

2AM CST - 6AM CST is the prime playing time for a large number of players, the *only* playing time for many.

Everyone recognizes that the game needs scheduled maintenance, and most everyone understands that the servers will be down once a week. That's fine.

The problem, however, is that when one of these "emergency" problems is identified, instead of immediately fixing the issue, BW waits until 2AM CST to deploy the fix. So those same people who put up with the weekly maintenance are subjected to unwarranted downtime for fixes that are important enough to bypass the weekly schedule, but not important enough to disrupt any other group of players.

If these "emergency" fixes are so important, why aren't they immediately deployed?

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell your internet/cable company to give you a refund everytime there's a downtime. Or your cell phone company to give you a refund everytime you get no service.

They actually do that here...

Due to an error from my internet provider I could not access the web yesterday. They provided a one-day exempt and reset my traffic limits.

Really? Occupy Bioware??

Completely F'ing inane, just like the *******es involved with Occupy Wallstreet.

What are you part of the 99% who don't understand gaming, programming, computer systems in general going to rise up against the 1% who understand what is going on. Yay for you and your UPRISING!

*squish* Ooops I think I stepped on you. So sorry!

That makes no sense what so ever. My sick great grandmother can maintain this game ten times better than BioWare is doing right now. It's redicolous of how unprofessional they are and it's just tragic.

You sir, are a fail. And shut up before you embarasse yourself even more with the "you don't understand coding" speach. It's getting old. I doubt you even know how to do it yourself.

*squish* Did I step on you this time?

Edited by Salandrea

What a lot of these fanboys and trolls here do not realize, is that WE (the people who are upset against patches every other day), play the game like everybody else, suffer through whatever bugs and problems the game currently has, like everybody else, and also feel the same about it needing to be fixed. What would be more appreciated more by most players, is if maintenance could somehow, instead of being during random days of the week, all be on one patch day.

Yes- We understand there are people who can play all day, and at anytime they feel like it and not have to worry about coming home from school and/or work and are able to play an hour if not 2 hours a day. AND there are also people who have the luxury of being able to play at any time and STILL complain about not being able to play for the 4 hours or so when a patch hits.

However, we are not that.

Yes- We understand time zones are different, there will always be people who will be suffering from patches at any part of the world during their inconvenient playing hours.

However, being the West Coast is the most heavy area in players, we feel that instead of say, pulling the plug at 10pm our time, you could push it back at least 2 hours, so that the late night gamers don't have a 16yo's curfew, and can have a couple more hours to their playing time.

Yes- We want things in this game fixed, we want the game to improve, we want little ant sized bugs to be fixed immediately, "it can't be fixed during the patch day! Must be now!".

However, is it completely necessary to have these patches this often? As said before, what game destroying bugs and issues was and or still is facing that is currently being fixed with this current patch?

No- It is not selfish to want to play when we are able to-and not wanting to have the patch occur that is causing us inconvenience. It is selfish on your part to expect Bioware to fix every bug you complain about immediately.

Just a though, really. Not trying to hold up a sign with the big words 'COME AT ME'. I am for peace and enjoyment to all who play this game. After all, it is ONLY a game. And we all share one purpose, to have fun. Though there are things that Bioware can do to help majority of the people out, we still appreciate all the work they do to improve their game and doing it as soon as possible.

very well put.

-100 dark side points for being on the side of purity though :p

you only choose to play four hours, 'can' and 'cant' are big words. You obviously have NO UNDERSTANDING of logic if you don't even grasp basic meanings of words. Sleep at a different time, get a different job, play a different game..... crazy i know, but u ARE the master of your own destiny, despite how terrifying that is for the rest of us.

And you, sir, obviously have no understanding of having a REAL job. And just simply have no understanding.

EVE Online server is up and running. Come join a game with PvP spaceship battles (ok, admittedly, it's the ONLY kind of battles.. but you can get your spaceship PVP fix in EVE and your ground pounder PvP fix in SWTOR Until DUST514 comes out (and then get your kicks in the eve universe all the way around).

~Saitada

p.s. yeah yeah.. I earned an infraction. Great big fricking whooped tee doo.

~S

They seriously need to do a better job testing patch content. They haven't exactly instilled a sense that they know what they are doing.

Neither does Blizzard. After 7 years and unlimited funds they still have to put out Hotfixes to fix the patches they release. So yaaaa....It's part of playing a MMO. There will always be patches, there will always be hotfixes and there will always be people who consistently complain about manditory downtime in MMO's. ;)

Not that it is the player base's fault, but the PTS doesn't exactly have a committed team of people.

Server downtimes are a must for all MMOs. 2AM Central seems like a good time to take it down in my opinion. I guess the people in Hawaii (10PM) and maybe some on the West Coast (midnight) might not like it so much.

When would you prefer they take it down?

Oh, and every MMO takes their servers down on a certain day of the week. Gotta restart them.

Oh, and every MMO takes their servers down on a certain day of the week. Gotta restart them.

yes but they mostly save all their fixes for that day.... little nigly ones that dont affect the masses and dont actually affect game play ( not getting credits or valor for killing somthing... isnt a game breaking problem ppl) can wait till the actualy day of maintanance... but they dont, for some reason they must fix it now, and not work on MAJOR problems..

anyway like i said b4, SERVERS ARE UP...

patch up, report new bugs and have fun while u can as im guessing we will ALL be here tomorrow night aswell :)

yes but they mostly save all their fixes for that day.... little nigly ones that dont affect the masses and dont actually affect game play ( not getting credits or valor for killing somthing... isnt a game breaking problem ppl) can wait till the actualy day of maintanance... but they dont, for some reason they must fix it now, and not work on MAJOR problems..

anyway like i said b4, SERVERS ARE UP...

patch up, report new bugs and have fun while u can as im guessing we will ALL be here tomorrow night aswell :)

So you are saying an entire planet is bugged so everyone who is lvl 50 should just wait because you cant be bothered to log out for a couple hours? Really?

Not that it is the player base's fault, but the PTS doesn't exactly have a committed team of people.

Server downtimes are a must for all MMOs. 2AM Central seems like a good time to take it down in my opinion. I guess the people in Hawaii (10PM) and maybe some on the West Coast (midnight) might not like it so much.

When would you prefer they take it down?

WoW actually has probably the best downtime slot in the industry (as far as US servers are concerned) tuesday mornings,while the kids are in school and the bulk of the workforce is at work. By the time kids get home and dayshifters log in,the servers have already been up for 2 hours or more.

WoW actually has probably the best downtime slot in the industry (as far as US servers are concerned) tuesday mornings,while the kids are in school and the bulk of the workforce is at work. By the time kids get home and dayshifters log in,the servers have already been up for 2 hours or more.

It's actually very good for australians too. The regular shut down is 9-10pm our time. Tor shuts down at 7 on the dot and comes up at 11 if we're lucky

So you are saying an entire planet is bugged so everyone who is lvl 50 should just wait because you cant be bothered to log out for a couple hours? Really?

PvP on a planet is 'VERY slightly' bugged. What? Your preferred playing style that is in the minority, is more important than the vast majority of PVE players that you have to demand the servers come down for it to be fixed instead of waiting for a few days?

Yeah, ok. Whatever.

Have a nice day. Cuppycake.

~Saitada

Oh look, you came to play here too.

You never responded to my proving it was patched 4 times in one week, btw.