Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Flashpoints - very enjoyable!


Redskiesrpg's Avatar


Redskiesrpg
12.15.2011 , 06:24 AM | #1
So I tried my first Flashpoint yesterday with a friend. I was in the beta, but never really tried them out. I was actually a bit surprised how much fun Flashpoints are, and I will gladly place them among the most rewarding and fun group experiences I've had in a MMO for a long time!

We started out me and my friend, but quickly we got 2 more and were ready to go. The entire Flashpoint took place on the spaceship The Esseless and the story was nicely cut up in small story elements with cutscenes, dialogs and new areas opening up as we made our progress. That alone was quite a different experience from the traditional "cut-your-way-through-a-mass-of-monsters-to-get-to-the-very-evil-boss-farthest-down-in the-labyrinth" type of hack and slash dungeons I'm used to.

This felt like a story - a multiplayer story mind you. It really added a touch of drama and atmosphere to see the other players talk in shifts during the dialogs instead of just seeing a portrait and a name. I kind of felt I got to know these people or at least the characters they were playing. Like a little story we played together - was amazing! Of course there were choices to be made also - do you want to sacrifice the men to save this or that, or do you take the long and risky way around etc. You can still get your light/dark side points even if the group majority chooses to do something else than you wanted though.

After last night I went from "yeah yeah, dungeons again!! It's just hack and slash in multiplayer mode + add annoying whiners and ninjas to spoil the fun" and to "wow, this is f***ing great, I can't wait to play my next group story in this game, because it's so enjoyable". So thumbs up for that, Bioware
When I first beheld the new world
I was bewildered and could not help myself
from gazing at the heavens in awe.

http://www.redskiesrpg.com

Mannce's Avatar


Mannce
12.15.2011 , 06:32 AM | #2
I agree. The first 5 times. Now in 4 months being level 50, and having to watch those very same cut scenes over and over again whilst farming gear, that concerns me. However they did add a purpose to the whole experience via social rewards. Leaving you wanting to see everyone's one liners, and otherworldly cruelty towards npc's. But how long before we all reach the point were speed becomes more of the driving factor to our runs, over the flash points more aesthetic qualities. Not qq, just saying, it's something to consider long term.

Edit: I love how everyone is apparent visually during the whole process as well. For example for guys (or gals) walk up to an npc to start a cut scene. They are not always just standing there. Sometimes there leaning up against a desk, or off to the side, tossing their guns in and out of their holsters. The whole concept of the flash point, well it leaves me walking away feeling like "I" just participated in something awesome with 3 other people. And I must say is nothing short of amazing.

Grabosen's Avatar


Grabosen
12.15.2011 , 06:44 AM | #3
those cutscenes and the answer-system are just annoying after the first run

that is nothing that i wish to see in a dungeon, where i mainly in to farm gear or exp

Mannce's Avatar


Mannce
12.15.2011 , 06:50 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Grabosen View Post
those cutscenes and the answer-system are just annoying after the first run

that is nothing that i wish to see in a dungeon, where i mainly in to farm gear or exp
Easy way to fix it would be to expand the 'space bar' functionality. Let me explain. Currently the space bar takes you up to the point were everyone 'chooses' their action. I think it should go as such. If *Everyone* chooses to hit the space bar it should simply randomize the selection moving to the next scene and so on. If only but one person 'chooses' not to 'space bar', the cut scene would progress as normal. This would allow even but one person who has not seen this particular dialogue the veto power to watch it. If everyone agree's to just blast past it, well then skipping away should be an option.

HeawiNobal's Avatar


HeawiNobal
12.15.2011 , 07:05 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Mannce View Post
Easy way to fix it would be to expand the 'space bar' functionality. Let me explain. Currently the space bar takes you up to the point were everyone 'chooses' their action. I think it should go as such. If *Everyone* chooses to hit the space bar it should simply randomize the selection moving to the next scene and so on. If only but one person 'chooses' not to 'space bar', the cut scene would progress as normal. This would allow even but one person who has not seen this particular dialogue the veto power to watch it. If everyone agree's to just blast past it, well then skipping away should be an option.
I think it's a good idea with the exception of the person who hasnt seen wanting to watch it and everyone else getting pissed off at him hand having to wait.

I think it's fine the way it is.

I too did my first Raid last night as well. Did the Black Talon Flashpoint. I thought it was amazing. The teamwork, the mission itself. Tons of action, good story to it to keep it going. Cool characters too. Was a lot of fun!

Mannce's Avatar


Mannce
12.15.2011 , 07:07 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by HeawiNobal View Post
I think it's a good idea with the exception of the person who hasnt seen wanting to watch it and everyone else getting pissed off at him hand having to wait.

I think it's fine the way it is.

I too did my first Raid last night as well. Did the Black Talon Flashpoint. I thought it was amazing. The teamwork, the mission itself. Tons of action, good story to it to keep it going. Cool characters too. Was a lot of fun!

The only way to keep it from happening would be to make sure you never know who hits the space bar.

Blacktalon was awesome.

Redskiesrpg's Avatar


Redskiesrpg
12.15.2011 , 07:27 AM | #7
I have to agree with you there, Mannce. I mean my enthusiasm comes from trying a Flashpoint the first time. I'm pretty sure the remaining FPs will be just as fun - the first times. But you are probably right about the repetition especially at end level. Not sure what the solution could be, of course there is the spacebar - but maybe they could add FPs as a first time quest with full storyline and then a repeatable version that is simplified in a way that you could run it faster for grinding, don't know! But I definitely see your point.
When I first beheld the new world
I was bewildered and could not help myself
from gazing at the heavens in awe.

http://www.redskiesrpg.com

Saryk's Avatar


Saryk
12.15.2011 , 09:35 AM | #8
Do flashpoints scale to the level of the group? I only done several with people the same level as I.

Also once I hit 50 in a class is it possible to return to younger level flashpoints and play them again?

terrorfistjab's Avatar


terrorfistjab
12.15.2011 , 09:49 AM | #9
I hate to be that guy, but if you are already concerned with "grinding" Flashpoints, and skipping or losing your patience with the story elements, this honestly might not be the game for you.

I mean, Bioware has pretty much made flashpoints for people who played KOTOR and Mass Effect like 10 times over, just slightly changing their story choices. Now I am sure they want to appeal to a broad audience, but design wise they actually made a game that is not grind friendly and to be honest I don't think they really want players grinding flashpoints. But the option is there for the "I beat ME for the 10th time today" players.

My guess is that they only intended for most players to run it 3 or 4 times, and again, if you are already itching to hit the space bar on that second or third run you might need to look to invest in another MMO.

AlainLeon's Avatar


AlainLeon
12.15.2011 , 03:07 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by terrorfistjab View Post
I hate to be that guy, but if you are already concerned with "grinding" Flashpoints, and skipping or losing your patience with the story elements, this honestly might not be the game for you.

I mean, Bioware has pretty much made flashpoints for people who played KOTOR and Mass Effect like 10 times over, just slightly changing their story choices. Now I am sure they want to appeal to a broad audience, but design wise they actually made a game that is not grind friendly and to be honest I don't think they really want players grinding flashpoints. But the option is there for the "I beat ME for the 10th time today" players.

My guess is that they only intended for most players to run it 3 or 4 times, and again, if you are already itching to hit the space bar on that second or third run you might need to look to invest in another MMO.
This sums it up I think. Don't understand why grinding is something people look forward to anyways. I think thats the worst part of mmo's
The strong rule, the weak are meant to serve. This is the way it must be. ---Darth Revan