Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Romance leads..to the Dark Side

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Romance leads..to the Dark Side

xXIzazelXx
02.05.2012 , 02:35 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonAgeOrgins View Post
If the Jedi Master's frowned that deeply on them to ask me to "spy" for them. The logically speaking if I enter into a romance later in the story line would I be open to the same backlash.

And

Spoiler
Because passion and love, to the Jedi point of view, leads to the dark side.
Jedi aren't allowed to engage in romantic endeavors. It's mostly the "passion"
point. They believe having passion outside of the Force its self corrupts.
It's the whole jealousy and anger thing as well. I dunno. I'm a passionate person
so if I was a Jedi I would probably fall into the grey catagory since I would rather
love than be apathic *shrugs*

Bravedave
02.06.2012 , 07:17 AM | #22
When people say "Romance leads to the Dark Side", or "Jealousy Leads to the Dark Side", I try and have a different conception to this theory...

To me, when someone refers to falling to the Dark Side and Emotions being an integral part, from what I've seen, it comes down to how well people can control their emotions, in some cases, emotions have saved people from the darkside!

Look at Bastilla and Revan, Bastilla fell to the Darkside and Revan, through telling Bastilla he loved her, came back to the Lightside, and ultimately used her powers to defeat Malaks forces...

Nomi Sunrider is also a prime example, her husband was killed, so not only did she fall in love, but she also experienced hate towards the people who killed him, she didn't fall to the Dark Side, it all comes down to resisting the urge to follow your emotions, not the emotions themselves which CAN lead to the darkside.

SWG Vet - Valcyn - IGN: Shigeru

Cythereal
02.06.2012 , 07:57 AM | #23
No one's saying the Council's position on love and marriage in this era isn't a bit hypocritical and inconsistent, mind.

Ancaglon
02.06.2012 , 12:32 PM | #24
The actual reasoning about why the Jedi Order discourages romance is given in that early quest. The Jedi Master that tasked you, when asked about Romance, says: "Emotions disrupt balance. When you hold one person in higher regard than others, it clouds clarity and twists reason." -- he then follows that up with "We mustn't stand by" meaning that it's his role as a Master to prevent temptation -- which is in a sense, just avoidance of the possibility, not actually dealing with it.

The key would be to have the strength of will to follow the balance. I think some of the events in the Consular storyline (especially in Chapter 3) are intended to test this balance, but for some reason they didn't happen to me.

In fact, a lot of Jedi code discussion on Tython also state that compassion for others can ALSO cause imbalance, for example when protecting the weak, be it sympathy for the victim or anger toward the aggressor -- but there are only Light Side points for THOSE decisions you make throughout the game, for example when you give money to the kids in the water purification station on Coruscant. So, along with the fact that in conversations, you get the Light/Dark points based on your choice whether or not you "win" the roll, suggests that the Light/Dark part is how you yourself perceive whether or not your actions are light or dark, so the light/dark stuff on Tython could simply be due to an internal conflict between your own understanding and the strict Jedi code, rather than it being a "true" manifestation of Light/Dark.

VanorDM
02.06.2012 , 02:55 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonAgeOrgins View Post
If the Jedi Master's frowned that deeply on them to ask me to "spy" for them.
Those two are still Padawans. The rules don't apply in the same way to people still in training that it does to fully fledged Jedi.

Kinda like when I was in bootcamp for the US Army. I was expected to do things there I wasn't expected to do in regular service. For example, looking at a girl in boot would get me dropped. After boot, it wasn't at all the same thing.

Cartumandua
02.06.2012 , 04:48 PM | #26
I was feeling done in
Couldn't win
I'd only ever kissed before
I thought there's no use getting
Into heavy petting
It only leads to trouble
And seat wetting.

Now all I want to know
Is how to go
I've tasted blood and I want more
I'll put up no resistance
I want to stay the distance
I've got an itch to scratch
And I need assistance.

Touch-A Touch-A Touch-A Touch Me
I want to be dirty
Thrill me chill me fulfill me
Creature of the night

Then if anything grows
When you pose
I'll oil you up and rub you down
And that's just one small fraction
Of the main attraction
You need a friendly hand
And I need action.

klambro
02.08.2012 , 04:50 AM | #27
i just want to point out that the JK get "some" at lvl 4 and getting "some" isnt dark, friends with benefits anyone?

GenBelisarius
02.08.2012 , 05:12 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Wager View Post
Nothing wrong with a couple of Jedi With Benefits keeping things casual.
Sure there is, you are just using each other selfishly. Relationships with no commitment by definition have a great chance of not sticking together. You are suppose to have sex to become closer and closer to someone, not just to F them until someone "better" comes along. That is why marriage is important, and the importance of each person to put each other ahead of themselves, that is what true love is.

And hey once you get those things down, it sets up a wonderful foundation for raising kids, and showing through your example of how men and women should treat each other appropriately.

SalsaDMA
02.08.2012 , 11:54 AM | #29
Jedis of ToR just let fear rule them. Nothing new there.

They're so afraid of the "dark side" that they fear and try to purge anything they could link with it in some way. In some ways, they are making me remember the history lessons about "the McArthy period" in the USA.