Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

More FPS outdoors than indoors - what the heck?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
More FPS outdoors than indoors - what the heck?

Raggnarok
12.15.2011 , 05:51 AM | #1
Anyone experiencing the strange difference in performance between outdoors areas and indoors? I got easly 50-60fps on planets but when when moving to indoors areas (cantinas, stations, sometimes flashpoints, caves, etc.) which supposed to be graphically less demanding, my fps drops to meager 15-20, sometimes 30. The FPS drop is sometimes accompanied by this werid and VERY annoying feeling of camera inertia when looking around.
Is Bioware aware of this fact? I know at least two other people who have similar problems. I must say thet SWTOR is probably the first game I play that has less FPS indoors than outdoors...

Herethos
12.15.2011 , 05:57 AM | #2
Too many light sources and shadows on things indoors maybe?
Try turning down some details like shadows and see if it helps, disable AA etc.

Leafroy
12.15.2011 , 06:04 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Herethos View Post
Too many light sources and shadows on things indoors maybe?
Try turning down some details like shadows and see if it helps, disable AA etc.
Just be happy your able to log on. You got thousands of people still waiting for EGA and also many many trying in vain to get any kind of customer service. but good luck with your fps issue.
''The troll in this one is strong. Contemplate his words you must!''

Nubacat
12.15.2011 , 06:05 AM | #4
ATI Radeon Card per chance?

Keydyn
12.15.2011 , 06:17 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Raggnarok View Post
Anyone experiencing the strange difference in performance between outdoors areas and indoors? I got easly 50-60fps on planets but when when moving to indoors areas (cantinas, stations, sometimes flashpoints, caves, etc.) which supposed to be graphically less demanding, my fps drops to meager 15-20, sometimes 30. The FPS drop is sometimes accompanied by this werid and VERY annoying feeling of camera inertia when looking around.
Is Bioware aware of this fact? I know at least two other people who have similar problems. I must say thet SWTOR is probably the first game I play that has less FPS indoors than outdoors...
I too am experiencing a lower FPS while indoors, and in flashpoints. I had no lag during beta test weekends, which was something i enjoyed about the game, but now I'm experiencing alot of lag while indoors, I tried the esseles flash point and my group had things killed before I was even able to get a shot off due to the lag. I turned all my graphics down to see if that would help, and it did not. I also noticed the graphic options are different then they were in beta.

Nubacat
12.15.2011 , 06:19 AM | #6
Again, are you using ATI radeon cards? If so there are already posts documenting the issue some ATI users are having.

Usualy turning shadows off, and sometimes Bloom as well resolves the issue.

For people to actually attempt to help you, they need details simply saying this is not working, is not going to get your issue resolved anytime soon.

Eginhardt
12.15.2011 , 06:54 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Nubacat View Post
Again, are you using ATI radeon cards? If so there are already posts documenting the issue some ATI users are having.

Usualy turning shadows off, and sometimes Bloom as well resolves the issue.

For people to actually attempt to help you, they need details simply saying this is not working, is not going to get your issue resolved anytime soon.
Like this gentleman said, try turning shadow, conversation depth of field and bloom off BUT up your graphics to high (if you have a medium or high level machine this seems to work bes.)
"Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer my fantasy RPG characters not be wearing assless chaps."
"Young girls are told you have to be the delicate princess. Hermione taught them that you can be the warrior. - Emma Watson"

Raggnarok
12.15.2011 , 07:34 AM | #8
Yea, I got Radeon, forgot to mention it. Will try the shadow thingy thing. Bloom and DoF in conversations already turned off

Morani
12.16.2011 , 08:34 AM | #9
I'm also having the same issue. Interestingly enough when I had a GeForce 550ti in beta it was about an average of 60 fps both indoors and outdoors, but now that I'm running a radeon HD 6850 the fps are much higher outdoors, 70-90, but 35-50 fps indoors. All settings are cranked to the max. It could just be a coincidence or fluctuation of server population in beta vs now, but I seriously doubt it. I'll try turning off the shadows when I get home from work and post back here with the results.
Nexussix - 50 Pyropowertech - Prophecy of the Five (Imperial)

DavieDe
12.16.2011 , 08:37 AM | #10
this worked for my mate who also has this issue

try in game go to graphics option
select graphis preset to HIGH
press apply
then select graphic preset to LOW and disable shadow/bloom/conversion depth of field
press apply
(dont manually set high/low to all options as it didnt work for me just use the PRESET option)
and enjoy your fps, mine was 50-60 after this weird fix
a Dwarf stole my "I like the game and thats all that matters" sign