Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Solusrath
12.13.2011 , 09:47 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Mithrand View Post
What your saying sounds like its well informed although its not. They would contract the work out to port the game for osx they wouldn't get creative and coding leads and take them away from the game lol derp. I don't think they do feel the same way as they already mentioned they play on macs.

Theres plenty of demand, heck wow did it.

First of all, contracting work to a third party to port the client to MacOS would be beyond suicidal. It wouldnt run worth a **** and would always be inferior to the Windows client, and they would be stuck supporting an inferior product for a small portion of their playerbase. it would be an absolute nightmare. If they were going to do a MacOS client, the only proper way to do it would be to build it from the ground-up in house.

Second, regardless of who made the client, its still an extra cost to develop and support that client. If the portion of the playerbase that would use that client are not enough to overcome the costs and be profitable, then they aren't going to do it... if they are smart anyway.

Bottomline: if they feel like its going to be worthwhile, they will do it. If they don't, they wont. They gathered machine information during beta signups to see who was running what, and I imagine they base any client decisions on the information they gathered during that time.
First in, last out

Solusrath
12.13.2011 , 09:54 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by mountains View Post
I'd love to find a laptop manufacturer that makes trackpads even near as good as Apple does. Even if you were right about the panels used in Macbooks (a quick glance at Dell or HP says you aren't, but whatever).

Depends on the model you are looking at. Apple only makes a couple of models, other manufs make tons of different models.

Dell, Gateway, and HP use the same trackpad apple does in some of their models. And I'm not wrong on the panels. A website isnt going to give you the same information as taking one apart and actually seeing exactly what's inside it will. Which I do on a daily basis.

If you want to delude yourself into thinking you are somehow getting superior hardware to other PC makers by buying a Mac and paying a premium for it, then by all means don't let me stop you. I am quite complacent in my knowledge of the truth.

If you ever happen to be in China, go tour the Foxconn factory. I'm sure you will find the experience to be *very* illuminating.
First in, last out

Fereldin
12.13.2011 , 09:55 AM | #23
I know 3 people that played weekend betas on Macs on Bootcamp - on MacBook Pros and iMac's. Win7 + OS X Lion systems, nVidia GPUs. I don't think Bioware/EA will even contemplate a Mac OS X version until likely late 2012, and if game is very successful, to justify porting it, or hiring Aspyr or Cydia port or other.

Sadly, being a Mac User since 1983, I game on a PC. Either bootcamp-it on your Mac and fork out 149-349 for Windows 7 64-bit (depending on flavor, or upgrade), or for 2x that, buy an OEM PC box with PCI Express, upgrade vid card, and it ships with Win7.

Issue with Macs is that unless you have a Mac Pro or iMac, the Mac mini and MacBook/MacBook Pro's on-board non-discreet video isn't powerful enough. I've tried SWTOR Beta 11.11.11, Nov.25th, and Dec.2nd on 9400M and Intel HD 3000 and it barely runs at 800x600 with more than about 12 fps - on CPUs ranging from Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz - 2.4 GHz, and tried it on latter Intel Integrated on a Core i7 2.7GHz. The GPUs are very lacking - optimized for battery efficiency and making the OS run smoothly, but not for gaming. So, even though there are 10's of millions of Mac Users, only a fraction actually have iMacs or Mac Pros with sufficient GPU processing power to handle SWTOR. WoW runs fine on any Mac from 2008+, but SWTOR isn't WoW. Demands are far more taxing.

Yfelsung
12.13.2011 , 09:57 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Frostedchill View Post
Untrue, Mac users are growing. Also Mac's are not bad for gaming as the hardware in them is usually fairly good for the video editting and 3d rendering software that is used on them.
Mac users are growing, but many of them are not running Mac OS on their machines.

Every year there's an industry stat put out for what computers are using what OSes

Mac OS was 5% last year

Linux was 7%

The rest was Windows with a few percentages lost to more obscure OSes
MHORDSUNG SOULGRINDER, LEGATUS OF PHOBOS LEGION

At the end of days the dragon stands tall and with limitless rage it illuminates all.

Dark_Disciple
12.13.2011 , 09:58 AM | #25
100% support blizz does it, then again blizz also has servers in asia
Assassination is an art, rifle is our brush and our enemy's blood the paint that fills the canvas. We are the perfect killer, everything and everyone is expendable. An enemies life is decided by our very whim
Imperial Intelligence Marksmen Division Squad 11.11.11

Noctournys
12.13.2011 , 10:09 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Yfelsung View Post
Mac users are growing, but many of them are not running Mac OS on their machines.

Every year there's an industry stat put out for what computers are using what OSes

Mac OS was 5% last year

Linux was 7%

The rest was Windows with a few percentages lost to more obscure OSes
I love observational misinformation.

Those statistics are for all computers, everywhere. That includes every fortune 500 company who has Linux servers and tens of thousands of cheap desktop terminals running some flavor of Windows.

the home market, Apple has almost 17% of the market. iDevices luring people to the Mac camp has been a serious boost.

in the laptop market, they have almost 30% of the market.

Even if 10% of people with Macs could run SWTOR (which is a little low - it ran totally fine on an older iMac i have in the house, with a fairly minimal GPU), that'd still be 5 or 6 million Mac users as potential clients. If even 5% of those people played SWTOR on their macs, you're still looking at 200,000+ players. At 15 bucks a month, that's still a pretty substantial pile of money.

Yes, it will end up being a small fraction of their player base, but no EA shareholder is going to be upset that they are spending the time to add another few million to the pile every month.

The main issue, and the reason we wont see an OSX client, is because the version of the HERO engine they used for SWTOR wasn't cross-platform, and it has now been so heavily modified there's simply no way to drop in support for the newest HERO engine version (which IS cross platform) without an almost total re-write.

What is potentially likely is that during a major expansion pack, they will overhaul the client and drop in support for the new HERO engine - much like Blizzard did when they made the client 64 bit native - essentially a complete rewrite, or when they dropped in the new OpenGL engine - but it isnt something that will happen outside of major expac time, if ever.

Yeah, i support an OSX client, so i dont have to boot back and forth. It's kinda annoying. But ill still be playing.

Gankstah
12.13.2011 , 10:11 AM | #27
No, I do not support. Use bootcamp or yell at Apple for using gestapo tactics in regards to their OS compatibility.

It's not BioWare's responsibility to bend over backwards to meet Apple's demands especially when Apple isn't exactly "known" for playing well with others.

Pencilvania
12.13.2011 , 10:22 AM | #28
All Mac users know that Bootcamp is out there but the topic of this thread is support for an OS X client, not bootcamp.

Bootcamping is time consuming and requires an additional financial investment. A native client support is the topic of the thread.

Pencilvania
12.13.2011 , 10:26 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Gankstah View Post
No, I do not support. Use bootcamp or yell at Apple for using gestapo tactics in regards to their OS compatibility.

It's not BioWare's responsibility to bend over backwards to meet Apple's demands especially when Apple isn't exactly "known" for playing well with others.
I think that the larger issue is that Bioware's major competitor, Blizzard, has had Mac OS X support since World of Warcraft Beta just over 7 years ago. In the MMORPG game space that SWTOR exists in the "big guy" is taking all the Mac players. A smart move would be for Bioware to go after that dedicated minority looking for something new.

Pencilvania
12.13.2011 , 10:33 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Solusrath View Post
They gathered machine information during beta signups to see who was running what, and I imagine they base any client decisions on the information they gathered during that time.
The information they gathered on "Mac" users would have been severely skewed. A very small minority have the time and money to Bootcamp their machines to play a single game. The amount of Bootcamped Beta testers would be a small number because of the added hurtles those users would have to go through.

Given that the signup required a Windows client most Mac users would choose not to bootcamp and thus not sign up. This also is not an indicator of the demand for that platform.

The logic that Bioware based Mac demand on the Beta testing weekend is inaccurate.