Unofficial /who search guide.

xworndownx

Contents:

- Purpose.

- Never Used the /who list before?

- What are some of the search terms?

* Some Examples on how to use these terms.

- Can we combine Search terms?

* Some examples on how to combine terms.

- Major LFG issue!

- Conclusion.

Purpose:

This is an attempt to help those who are not familiar with the /who list and how to utilize it through their time in-game. This is NOT a discussion about wanting/needed a new LFG/LFD Tool and there is a thread for that already elsewhere. This is not comparing the game's current LFG/Who list feature to any other game and there is a thread for that already elsewhere. This is about how to use the current tool.

Never used the /who list before?

One of the ways to open up the /who list is to simply type /who in your chat box and hit enter. By default the /who list is not bound to any key and if you choose to do so you can set that to your preference.

What are some of the search terms?

The /who list is quite robust and very useful when searching for players in many aspects. Utilizing the /who list you can find other players by:

1: Name(s)

2: Level(s)

3: Area/Planet(s)

4: LFG

5: Job(s)

6: Guild(s)

Some examples on how to use each of the terms above:

1: Name: You're looking for a player.

a: Type the player name into the Search terms and hit enter.

2: Level: You're looking for a group of people by level.

a: Type 20-25 or 30-31 or 50 or any other term and hit enter.

3. Area: You want to see who is on what planet.

a: Type Hoth or Korriban or Tatooine and hit enter.

4: LFG: You need to search everyone on the server that has their LFG comment set.

a: Type LFG into the search box and hit enter.

5: Job: You want to find a specific job.

a: Type Juggernaut, or Mercenary or Sage or any other job and hit enter.

6: Guild: You want to see a guild roster.

a: Typing the guild name IE: Some guild name and hitting enter

Note: This one took some research but I believe that the results were based on who was a member of said guild but I think the results included online and offline players.

Everything listed as plural (s) means you can search:

Multiple names IE: JohnDoe JaneDoe PaulaDoe

Multiple levels IE: 10-15 30-40 1-3

Multiple jobs IE: Sorcerer Mercenary Juggernaut

Can we combine Search terms?

Yes! Which is one of the best features of the /who list.

Some Examples on how to combine search terms:

I want to find a level 12-15 sorcerer who is currently looking for a group.

- I type: Sorcerer 12-15 LFG and hit search.

- The /who lists returns everyone who meets that search criteria.

* Note: Here is the hitch!

Not everyone sets themselves as LFG so we need to remove the LFG from that search to get more results at this time.

I want to find a Sniper who is on Quesh that is near my level which is 40-42.

- I type: Sniper 40-45 Quesh

- Or: Quesh Sniper 40-45

Let's get a bit more messy.

I have multiple characters. A sin (20) a merc(40) and a jugg(50)

I want to do a 2+ flashpoint on each of my jobs and I need either a merc(20ish) a jugg(40ish) or a sorc(50)

- I search Mercenary Juggernaut Sorcerer 19-20 38-42 50

- I get the results for everyone of each job for those levels.

Note: Though, you can sort by job, class, level etc by clicking the appropriate header, this can generate a lot of results so keep it as precise as you can.

Major LFG Issue:

Actually there is only one major issue that I have seen utilizing the current system which is that most people are not setting their LFG comment or checking it. Sometimes our comments get set to just "lfg" erasing what we had in there originally.

Conclusion:

While the current LFG/Who list may not be entirely what some people "want, expect, believe that it should be" it is still a very useful tool for finding people as is. It's a shame when I see people that are shouting LFG/LFM anywhere and I ask them if they searched for people on other planets to help them along and they have no idea how.

The current LFG system does a lot more than it appears to do... it's just perhaps not as intuitive.

I thought for the longest time that the LFG notes section was limited to the few characters that appear in the tiny box, so I butchered my LFG notes to keep them under 12 characters. Then I found out: It's not! You can view the entire message if you mouseover the purple LFG icon in the left hand column!

Yes, with our current system you have to actually do some searches yourself in the LFG window. You can't just flag yourself as LFG for Cademimu and have the game automagically form a perfect party with all the appropriate classes and teleport you directly into the instance. But... well... honestly, I'd rather speak with a human than have a bot put me in my place. Personal preference, and all that.

Nice guide. It really should be made more evident in the game how the LFG system works.

Edited by Shaz