Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

dynastynyy's Avatar


dynastynyy
02.05.2012 , 03:34 AM | #401
people need to understand that profit from slicing isnt supposed to come from the lockboxes. The sooner everyone realizes that, the better off they'll be.

also, if you wanna make profit off of the lockboxes, get off your ***, farm the nodes in the world. Those nodes yield lockboxes, which cost no credits for you to slice.

Nessirin's Avatar


Nessirin
02.05.2012 , 03:40 AM | #402
Quote: Originally Posted by dynastynyy View Post
people need to understand that profit from slicing isnt supposed to come from the lockboxes. The sooner everyone realizes that, the better off they'll be.

also, if you wanna make profit off of the lockboxes, get off your ***, farm the nodes in the world. Those nodes yield lockboxes, which cost no credits for you to slice.
This. I make about extra 50-100k depending on spawns while I do dailies. Is it a huge number? No. But its a nice side money maker that lets you drop something like diplomacy (if you're biochem like me) and make money from 2 different sources.

Volki's Avatar


Volki
02.06.2012 , 06:07 PM | #403
Quote: Originally Posted by dynastynyy View Post
people need to understand that profit from slicing isnt supposed to come from the lockboxes. The sooner everyone realizes that, the better off they'll be.
Actually, that's exactly where the profit is supposed to come from. What makes you think otherwise?

Quote: Originally Posted by dynastynyy View Post

also, if you wanna make profit off of the lockboxes, get off your ***, farm the nodes in the world. Those nodes yield lockboxes, which cost no credits for you to slice.
Which is it then? Profit, or no profit?

Slicing was for people who didn't want to do that. Why do we all have to be just like you?

I know, I know... because you want us all to think just like you. It's a game.

You want to grind, be my guest. Don't saddle me with your burden.
Well, I try my best to be just like I am
But everybody wants you to be just like them
They say sing while you slave and I just get bored
I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more. ~Bob Dylan

GeorgZoeller's Avatar


GeorgZoeller
02.06.2012 , 06:12 PM | #404 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
We are planning major some additions/modifications to slicing in the next major content patch, which will be Game Update 1.2.

bboudreaux's Avatar


bboudreaux
02.06.2012 , 06:16 PM | #405
Quote: Originally Posted by Volki View Post
Actually, that's exactly where the profit is supposed to come from. What makes you think otherwise?
He means it's not supposed to be profitable through lockboxes using companions ..

Slicing is a gathering skill, therefore, you are supposed to go out and gather the nodes yourself if you really want to profit from the skill

anyone with half a brain can understand this
Bioware, you did a fantastic job!! Please don't ruin the game making it easy mode with mods and add on capabilities.

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
02.06.2012 , 07:13 PM | #406
Quote: Originally Posted by bboudreaux View Post
He means it's not supposed to be profitable through lockboxes using companions ..

Slicing is a gathering skill, therefore, you are supposed to go out and gather the nodes yourself if you really want to profit from the skill

anyone with half a brain can understand this
But the thing is, Slicing is profitable doing missions only. With caveats:
  • You need to get to 400 skill. You may not make a profit on missions getting to 400 skill.
  • You need to run the right missions. The right missions are Rank 5 Abundant and Rich yield for the most part. You can throw in Rank 6 Abundant if you really want.
  • You need to sell or leverage the mission skills you get when you crit.
  • You need to use the Slicing mission drops you get when you crit and sell the Augments from these.

What's "profitable"? Counting only the lockbox credits (not selling missions or augments):
  • Over all missions, average 588 CR profit.
  • Rank 5 Rich Yield missions, average 794 CR profit.
  • Rank 5 Abundant Yield missions, average 503 CR profit.

Is that hugely profitable? Nope.

But it shouldn't be. Slicing is, deep in its bowels, a gathering skill. On top of that, the numbers I posted immediately above assumes you simply vendor valuable missions and augments, and therefore assumes you can't be bothered with the GTN. The simplicity of running missions for pure credits plus never dealing with the GTN has a cost, and that cost means lower profits.

If you want an insanely profitable mission skill, try Underworld Trading and focus on metals. And suck it up and deal with the GTN.

Volki's Avatar


Volki
02.11.2012 , 09:38 PM | #407
Quote: Originally Posted by bboudreaux View Post
He means it's not supposed to be profitable through lockboxes using companions ..

Slicing is a gathering skill, therefore, you are supposed to go out and gather the nodes yourself if you really want to profit from the skill

anyone with half a brain can understand this
Nothing like an insult to sum up, eh? Did you ever consider you may be wrong? Of course not; everyone has to think just like you.
Well, I try my best to be just like I am
But everybody wants you to be just like them
They say sing while you slave and I just get bored
I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more. ~Bob Dylan

Volki's Avatar


Volki
02.11.2012 , 09:40 PM | #408
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
If you want an insanely profitable mission skill, try Underworld Trading and focus on metals. And suck it up and deal with the GTN.
What if I don't want to "suck it up" and deal with the GTN? It's a game, not a job.
Well, I try my best to be just like I am
But everybody wants you to be just like them
They say sing while you slave and I just get bored
I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more. ~Bob Dylan

vengefulreaper's Avatar


vengefulreaper
02.12.2012 , 01:07 AM | #409
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
But it shouldn't be. Slicing is, deep in its bowels, a gathering skill. On top of that, the numbers I posted immediately above assumes you simply vendor valuable missions and augments, and therefore assumes you can't be bothered with the GTN. The simplicity of running missions for pure credits plus never dealing with the GTN has a cost, and that cost means lower profits.

If you want an insanely profitable mission skill, try Underworld Trading and focus on metals. And suck it up and deal with the GTN.
o_0 Why would you vendor valuable missions and augments? That is where the profits come from Slicing, As it stands now you pretty much come out even with lockbox's But that isn't why I do it. I do it for when I crit and get those lovely purple mission I can sell for 30k. I think thats why it got nerfed, not only could you sell the mission sheets and augments for high prices considering slicers are the only source for them. but they could also get huge returns on the lockbox's. Not to mention i've seen TONS of slicing nodes in the world as i was leveling. A profit, no matter how small, is still a profit and over time it does add up. Even if its only 700c per lockbox (assuming slicing nodes) and you slice a grand total of 30 an hour while doing your leveling thats a profit of 21000c on top of what you get for your missions, selling junk items, and mob drops. Plus the added bonus of sending your companions out to do stuff while you're doing that and more lockbox's + chances to crit and get missions/ augments which you can sell. It adds up over time. I personally think its fine. But maybe thats just me.

VelnikSP's Avatar


VelnikSP
02.12.2012 , 07:11 AM | #410
Quote: Originally Posted by Drewser View Post
I have more creds than I can spend right now. I can easily do 25K-30k an hour with slicing. Show me a rank 1 missioner that is doing that.
Treasure hunting, dipspit.

I can pull down nearly 50k an hour as long as I stick with it and don't get bored.
although, admittedly, I have to do some tricks, like burning missions and using high-affection companions.

and I am performing a valuable service.