Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

tips for a new trooper, when deciding an AC

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper
tips for a new trooper, when deciding an AC

Kanok
12.14.2011 , 05:34 PM | #1
Hello all, as an rts player, my experience with mmo's is fairly limited to level 40-50 area fo WoW, i didn't play after this, so i have little experience with MMO's, due to this, i haev considered many issues when deciding my advanced class.

As a player, i like to hurt the foes in mid range, i never want to be sitting still to charge weapons, i prefere instant casts, but be able to take a hit. (i don't mind using DoT spells, its just i have preferences)

I have been edging much closer to vanguard, but i love dealing damage just as i love being a solid wall in the team, if i pick vanguard, what talent tree is best for a guy like me, who prefees mid/close range combat, valid for PvP, and have some survivability (more than my fellow party members other than the main tank) and uses instants over DoTs..

I understand i will never get what i want, but i need some tips when choosing my talent tree or weather vanguard isn't as good of an idea.

thanks in advance.
-I kanok do this without you!

ZeroGravTrooper
12.14.2011 , 05:36 PM | #2
Vanguard's Tactics skill tree is meant for more close range damage, though I'm not sure you'll be doing as much damage as a Commando.
Warriors of the Shadow --- Vanguard --- Zero
Quote: Originally Posted by Blagojevich View Post
Blagojevich approves.

Aaoogaa
12.14.2011 , 05:37 PM | #3
If you want to tank go Vanguard.

If you want to dps or heal go Commando.

These are just my opinions.
-I would rather pay for a great game than play a poor game for free.
-Viable and worthwhile are not the same when it comes to class design.
55 Commando - 50 Gunslinger - 50 Guardian
Beta tester...loved the game, hate what it has become.

Unpleasant
12.14.2011 , 06:17 PM | #4
Sounds like Vanguard Tactics to me as well.

fatduck
12.14.2011 , 06:25 PM | #5
if you don't like mage-style casting you will be really annoyed by commando

with your playstyle i would go vanguard or balance sage

Ranaath
12.14.2011 , 07:54 PM | #6
Vanguard is probably your closest fit, then - just don't expect to be elite DPS . Quite acceptable DPS, but you'll never out-DPS a Commando , all things being equal. However, you'll retain your mobility, and pick up a good chuck of durability as well.

FWIW, I am an MMO vet, and I am wrestling with this decision myself - you are not alone

For PVP, a Vanguard can be really effective. Just stick with groups, don't over-extend yourself and let yourself be singled out and picked off, and use your abilities to keep enemies off your healers and primary DPSers so your team can finish the job. You have an important role to play, done correctly.

Havenstone
12.14.2011 , 10:43 PM | #7
I'm in a similar lifepod myself, and I never figured I'd come to love Troopers as much as I have. I'm trying to decide which AC would work better with my wife's Sage, although the Consulars seem to still be meditating the fact. Any input from other Troopers would be nice. Either way I'll end up playing both types - Legacy demands it!

Seriously though, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Kanok
12.15.2011 , 01:35 AM | #8
thanks all, great appreciated, ill be taking tactics then, i was stuck between tactics, or looking into sheilds, or just going to commando. but i think ive made my choice, vanguard it is!

ty all, every comment was appreciated!

Bandrashu
12.15.2011 , 02:25 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Havenstone View Post
I'm in a similar lifepod myself, and I never figured I'd come to love Troopers as much as I have. I'm trying to decide which AC would work better with my wife's Sage, although the Consulars seem to still be meditating the fact. Any input from other Troopers would be nice. Either way I'll end up playing both types - Legacy demands it!

Seriously though, any input would be greatly appreciated.

I may not be the most experienced trooper player but I think if you go commando -combat medic then you will have no issues with any opponents. The damage is still pretty good in my oppinion and you will never go down if you combine the heals of both classes.

Commando is a bit static but you can aoe most of the npcs pretty well and your wife can finish what youve started.

I only lvld a combat medic into the lvl20s so, it may change a bit later but I found this class pretty entertaining in both pve and pvp.

Havenstone
12.15.2011 , 03:03 AM | #10
Thanks for your input. I was thinking a bit more Gunnery, but some points in Medic are the way to go.

Depending on how long it is between my getting to play her getting to play (off to the US to see her family, with a trip to Europe) I might start with my Commando, and then see how the Vanguard goes.