Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Anyone think that the EU has lost its way?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Anyone think that the EU has lost its way?

MxCNOM's Avatar


MxCNOM
02.02.2012 , 11:12 PM | #21
Whenever my friends ask me (the person who has read around 20 EU books) about picking up some of the books, I always (and ONLY) recommend:
  • Thrawn Trilogy: brilliantly written, classic Star Wars, familiar characters, and some amazing new ones
  • X-Wing series: less like the Star Wars trilogy, but still very well written and very true to the original spirit.
Everything else can be safely ignored. I just stopped reading them after 2 books into NJO simply because 1) there were just TOO MANY MORE and 2) there are some pretty blatant author battles.

As much as I hate to say this, it would probably be best to do a reset. I certainly feel that it has lost its way, and it's a good thing that BioWare chose to set their games way before the movies, because they'd constantly have to contend with the amount of crap that is piling in at an alarming rate.

And I, too, would support just putting Zahn in charge of the EU, giving him a reset button, and encouraging him to use it. I think that pretty much everyone would rejoice.

BrandonSM's Avatar


BrandonSM
02.02.2012 , 11:21 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by MxCNOM View Post
Whenever my friends ask me (the person who has read around 20 EU books) about picking up some of the books, I always (and ONLY) recommend:
  • Thrawn Trilogy: brilliantly written, classic Star Wars, familiar characters, and some amazing new ones
  • X-Wing series: less like the Star Wars trilogy, but still very well written and very true to the original spirit.
Everything else can be safely ignored. I just stopped reading them after 2 books into NJO simply because 1) there were just TOO MANY MORE and 2) there are some pretty blatant author battles.

As much as I hate to say this, it would probably be best to do a reset. I certainly feel that it has lost its way, and it's a good thing that BioWare chose to set their games way before the movies, because they'd constantly have to contend with the amount of crap that is piling in at an alarming rate.

And I, too, would support just putting Zahn in charge of the EU, giving him a reset button, and encouraging him to use it. I think that pretty much everyone would rejoice.
I would pay thousands of dollars to see The Entire EU(Novels and books) just get a reset a new clean slate.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

PeepsMcJuggs's Avatar


PeepsMcJuggs
02.03.2012 , 02:55 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by MxCNOM View Post
Whenever my friends ask me (the person who has read around 20 EU books) about picking up some of the books, I always (and ONLY) recommend:
  • Thrawn Trilogy: brilliantly written, classic Star Wars, familiar characters, and some amazing new ones
  • X-Wing series: less like the Star Wars trilogy, but still very well written and very true to the original spirit.
Everything else can be safely ignored. I just stopped reading them after 2 books into NJO simply because 1) there were just TOO MANY MORE and 2) there are some pretty blatant author battles.

As much as I hate to say this, it would probably be best to do a reset. I certainly feel that it has lost its way, and it's a good thing that BioWare chose to set their games way before the movies, because they'd constantly have to contend with the amount of crap that is piling in at an alarming rate.

And I, too, would support just putting Zahn in charge of the EU, giving him a reset button, and encouraging him to use it. I think that pretty much everyone would rejoice.
A man after my own heart I appreciated some the other earlier novels, but it's been over a decade since I read them. The Tales from short stories were also good reads.

There have been a couple of good novels recently that bucked the current trend of crappy multi-book sagas. I enjoyed Death Star, and Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader was pretty good. Kind of made up for how much of a d-bag Anakin was in the prequels.
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

priest's Avatar


priest
02.03.2012 , 09:12 AM | #24
I'm enjoying Alliance right now. It's a Zahn book that takes place right after the Battle of Yavin. Of course he writes of a young Mara Jade, and her exploits as Emperor's Hand; but we also get Han Solo with his swagger back.

In my opinion, the EU has lost it's vibrancy.
╬╬█]∎⌉()[█][\▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀╬┌ị∈-⋂Dị ∃ị└∈▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

PeepsMcJuggs's Avatar


PeepsMcJuggs
02.03.2012 , 10:49 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by priest View Post
I'm enjoying Alliance right now. It's a Zahn book that takes place right after the Battle of Yavin. Of course he writes of a young Mara Jade, and her exploits as Emperor's Hand; but we also get Han Solo with his swagger back.

In my opinion, the EU has lost it's vibrancy.
I think you mean Allegiance, and I'll have to pick that one up. I still think it's pretty effed up that someone killed off a character he created without his ok.
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

priest's Avatar


priest
02.03.2012 , 11:00 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by PeepsMcJuggs View Post
I think you mean Allegiance, and I'll have to pick that one up. I still think it's pretty effed up that someone killed off a character he created without his ok.
yeah, that's what I meant. Man should not type before his first cup of coffee
╬╬█]∎⌉()[█][\▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀╬┌ị∈-⋂Dị ∃ị└∈▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

ZoeTuah's Avatar


ZoeTuah
02.03.2012 , 11:23 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
I would pay thousands of dollars to see The Entire EU(Novels and books) just get a reset a new clean slate.
That, and not a whole lot of reconstruction. I'd be quite satisfied to leave it at the G-Canon of ROTJ and never pick up afterward. Nice and open-ended.

Yfelsung's Avatar


Yfelsung
02.03.2012 , 11:32 AM | #28
I'd like to see the entirety of Star Wars reset.

It was a great idea, but Lucas is a terrible writer and there were a lot of stupid aspects of the lore right out of the gate.

I think a literal reboot of the entire universe could be really cool.

Take the original idea and make it more brutal.

They seem to be taking it dark now, but they're going emo dark.

They need to go black/death metal dark.

Cannibal wookies and Sith who tear out spinal cords with the Force.
MHORDSUNG SOULGRINDER, LEGATUS OF PHOBOS LEGION

At the end of days the dragon stands tall and with limitless rage it illuminates all.

PeepsMcJuggs's Avatar


PeepsMcJuggs
02.03.2012 , 11:41 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Yfelsung View Post
I'd like to see the entirety of Star Wars reset.

It was a great idea, but Lucas is a terrible writer and there were a lot of stupid aspects of the lore right out of the gate.

I think a literal reboot of the entire universe could be really cool.

Take the original idea and make it more brutal.

They seem to be taking it dark now, but they're going emo dark.

They need to go black/death metal dark.

Cannibal wookies and Sith who tear out spinal cords with the Force.
No. Just...no. I'm sick of people thinking franchises need to be "darker and edgier" to be better. Because that worked out so well for Enterprise and Stargate Universe, didn't it?
"Making the internet a happier place, one infraction at a time."

Yfelsung's Avatar


Yfelsung
02.03.2012 , 11:52 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by PeepsMcJuggs View Post
No. Just...no. I'm sick of people thinking franchises need to be "darker and edgier" to be better. Because that worked out so well for Enterprise and Stargate Universe, didn't it?
Becoming edgier isn't what made Stargate Universe and Enterprise bad, it was boring writing and stories.

Need we bring up The Dark Knight for an example of going darker and becoming FAR SUPERIOR. That's a movie that is, at it's heart, a comic book movie that film classes are already using in analysis projects because of how deep the actual societal commentary runs through the movie.

Or Battlestar Galactica.

Or Song of Ice and Fire (not a remake, but it's "fantasy for adults" with themes and content that I, as a 28 year old, find interesting. Dragonglance and LotR were awesome when I was 13, but at 28 I doubt I could make it through LotR without getting bored.)

I'm not asking for edgy.

I'm asking for brutality.
MHORDSUNG SOULGRINDER, LEGATUS OF PHOBOS LEGION

At the end of days the dragon stands tall and with limitless rage it illuminates all.