Why do so many people hate Baras?

AJediKnight

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate Baras because I think he's just being who he is, which is a Sith. Deception, manipulation, and cruelty.

What I didn't like is how they made him a fat character. I have nothing against fat people. I just don't think it fits him because his comic book character was, well, a thinner old man. As far as his voice is concerned I think he sounds a lot like Hugo Weaving, which is a good thing by the way.

So yeah, not going to spoil anything, but the fact that he is fat bothers me because of what I envisioned him from the comic books and the books.

Seriously, how do you go from this

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100514003532/starwars/images/thumb/2/24/Sith_Lord_Baras.jpg/250px-Sith_Lord_Baras.jpg

to this?

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111230023351/starwars/images/3/31/Darth_Baras_Sith_Armor.jpg

He's my favorite character Empire side by far, Grand Moff Kilran is a close second....
You sir, are a fool, a lackadaisical hack, and a meandering buffon! You couldn't be more wrong! Well you are right about everything else in your post. But not on this! So that makes you a low-grade strumpet pandering to the base pleasures of vile cretins. Baras is good, but he ain't got nothing on the sheer ******-ness that is Grand Moff Kilran. Just saying.

Baras deserved to die in the end. Kilran didn't.

Oh gods, Baras.

It's impossible to take this guy seriously at all. He looks ridiculous, and not just because he's a fatarse. Well, yeah, that doesn't help any, but that gimp mask of his? It just looks stupid at the best of times, and when you get close-ups, it turns into a pixelated mess. Combined with the frankly terrible character animations of the cut-scenes and he looks more like a puppet then an actual character. The motion issues extend to his shoulder armour. Now, not only does it look pretty damn silly, but the way it folds when he moves is almost embarrassing.

Oh, and then there's his voice. Is he meant to sound menacing? Annoyed? Evil? No. Kind of bored? Mostly. It sounds like his VA showed up one day, put a bucket on his head and kind of slept his way though the recording session, mumbling out his lines with a kind of casual indifference. For the most part, the scenes with him are just dull, livened up only by the opportunity to give him consequence-free sass.

The problem is simple. All of Baras' traits are purely informed attributes. He's allegedly a genius with spies everywhere and an insidious master manipulator. I say allegedly, because there's next-to-no evidence of this in his character beyond "he says so" and none of this alleged genius is ever demonstrated. Taken as just in the context of what you see in-game, he's a titanic fat-butt who's engaged in a pissing contest with his fellow dark lords. We're supposed to be impressed/intimidated by him, but there's no reason to do such.

Now had Baras had a non-fat character model with a visible face that would have helped a lot. Put some darkside corruption on him or some visible scarring, then he'd have had some credibility. As it stands? He's kind of ridiculous-looking

I don't hate Baras because I think he's just being who he is, which is a Sith. Deception, manipulation, and cruelty.

What I didn't like is how they made him a fat character. I have nothing against fat people. I just don't think it fits him because his comic book character was, well, a thinner old man. As far as his voice is concerned I think he sounds a lot like Hugo Weaving, which is a good thing by the way.

So yeah, not going to spoil anything, but the fact that he is fat bothers me because of what I envisioned him from the comic books and the books.

Seriously, how do you go from this

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100514003532/starwars/images/thumb/2/24/Sith_Lord_Baras.jpg/250px-Sith_Lord_Baras.jpg

to this?

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111230023351/starwars/images/3/31/Darth_Baras_Sith_Armor.jpg

Wow a difference indeed..

Guess he couldn't keep his hands off the Big Macs.

I refer to him as Darth Budweiser.... especially after he told me to go party after I turned Jaesa :D

At times, I have a hard time taking him seriously, his voice and dialogue say spymaster, but his body and body language say buffoon.

@OP

I absolutely don't hate Baras, i actually feel sorry for him.

Because its obvius to me he is the misguided thinker among the swords and one day his brain will just not cut it.

And since i'm lightside i will pay my master the last respect by being the one who will swing the saber. At least he could die knowing he succeeded as a teacher, even thou he did not understand the bigger, nobler picture and the future I have in mind for the Empire.

:sy_empire:

I just finished the storyline

I went from respecting him as what he was designed to be

Generic sith scenario where apprentice overcomes master

someone states before, you become so invested in your champion that you begin to feel what they feel and your options very much show it. I went LS, but i

couldn't stomach banishing/exiling him, i had to end him.

Although when he took his mask off All of his respect went down the drain, he looked... so... bland, so boring, i was expecting a face i could finally put focus all my hate to. and i get that? come on that was the only thing i didn't care for in the warrior storyline (nit-picky i know) other than that i cant wait to finish out my other storylines.

I don't understand your reasoning at all, man.

I didn't provide any reasoning. I just stated my opinion.

I guess my reasoning is mainly that Sith Lords cannot be fat, since being fat and thus being physically out of shape is a major weakness, and a weak Sith would immediately be attacked (and likely killed) by other Sith.

I suppose I should add that I don't hate Baras in the sense that his personality pisses me off and I want to kill him. I hate him in the sense that I think the character is all wrong and he shouldn't exist in the first place.

I honestly loved Baras as a character because of the story. It was well written and voice acted.

I stayed loyal to him until it was abundantly clear that he turned on me. Baras reached on step too far with the Voice of the Emperor thing and in stabbing me in the back. Even when I was plotting his demise I still had a lot of respect for him but he had to die.

It was a fun rollercoaster while it lasted though.