Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Screen Burns Up My GPU

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Character Screen Burns Up My GPU

Zuunster
12.14.2011 , 11:19 PM | #1
Long story short: I went "afk" and when I came back, EVGA Precision said that my GPU temp was 99 degrees C, my GPU usage was 99%, and my fan Usage was 99%.

Program problem? Neh. My computer was on fire. All these was from the loading Character Screen.

In game right now I am in Republic Fleet running at 79-82c, 50-90% GPU usage, and 80% fan speed.

I'm not sure what was going on in the Character menu, but I just wanted you guys to hear about this.

EDIT: Thanks to some great replys I believe I have figured it out. Vertical Sync being turned off can obvious boost your FPS if not set to your refresh rate. Once I went back to full screen mode(out of windowed) and turned VS on, All problems were gone. Thanks for the help guys and I hope you there at BW can possible fix this at your end.

Specs:
Spoiler

Zuunster
12.15.2011 , 12:18 AM | #2
Bump.

capetorial
12.15.2011 , 12:22 AM | #3
99C? are you overclocked? thats hot man, your comp. shoulda shut off (not calling you a liar, just unusual to me)

LawLessOne
12.15.2011 , 12:27 AM | #4
I would report that to Nvidia because it is not normal for your GPU to get that hot without shutting itself off.

Zuunster
12.15.2011 , 12:36 AM | #5
I only know the temperature from what the program EVGA Precision told me. But my machine was running really hot. And the fan speed was really fast.

Thomanson
12.15.2011 , 01:01 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Zuunster View Post
Long story short: I went "afk" and when I came back, EVGA Precision said that my GPU temp was 99 degrees C, my GPU usage was 99%, and my fan Usage was 99%.

Program problem? Neh. My computer was on fire. All these was from the loading Character Screen.

In game right now I am in Republic Fleet running at 79-82c, 50-90% GPU usage, and 80% fan speed.

I'm not sure what was going on in the Character menu, but I just wanted you guys to hear about this.

Specs:
Spoiler
That sounds an awful lot like it was stuck on a screen it could reproduce really REALLY fast. Like multiples of hundreds of frames per second. It's what the maxfps command in WoW is for, keeping it from overheating on simple things.

As a test, someone who can get in, see what fps you get on the char screen vs in game?

Zuunster
12.15.2011 , 01:09 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Thomanson View Post
That sounds an awful lot like it was stuck on a screen it could reproduce really REALLY fast. Like multiples of hundreds of frames per second. It's what the maxfps command in WoW is for, keeping it from overheating on simple things.

As a test, someone who can get in, see what fps you get on the char screen vs in game?
I'm running fraps and I get: 113fps

i also loaded up WoW. Runs perfectly.

capetorial
12.15.2011 , 01:10 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Zuunster View Post
I'm running fraps and I get: 113fps

i also loaded up WoW. Runs perfectly.
so does this mean i shouldnt go afk on char screen?