Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Operations are not melee friendly

sdeha
01.29.2012 , 09:43 AM | #11
True, Bonethrasher is anti everyone.

To me it feels that at this point of MMO development, people should have grasped the basic ideas behind creating encounters that do not punish being melee. Especially as melee does not gain any real benefits in this game as pointed out by kainsec.

For example, skills that hit only melee range have to always be balanced with skills that only affect ranged players. As each ranged and melee have slightly different weaknesses, this would allow creating more interesting encounters.

It is few skill designs that just completely show how little the operations designers understood about the problem. The clearest example is Gharj as a whole, both Frenzy and Pounce are just ridiculous for melee. I know the encounter is a joke in difficulty, but it does not remove the fact that it is just poor design.

Havocx
01.29.2012 , 09:53 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by urgod View Post
No mmo in history has ever been melee friendly, get use to it and there's nothing to outrage or cry about, the mechanics on these boss fight that are supposed to be so un melee friendly are a joke, Soa is laughable and so is karagga the unyielding, and only bad players come plain about something that's been happening in mmo's for over 13 years.
True, but at least other developers try to offset this by making melee top DPS. In this game, it's not even close. Mercs/snipers/sorcs and their equivalents just **** all over melee DPS.

FuzzNasty
01.29.2012 , 11:03 AM | #13
One boss I like I think exists in Boarding Party. He's a droid that frequently grappled people past a certain range and randomly repositions them.

He's still not very challenging, but as a ranged DPS at least I felt like I was actually a part of the fight.

anotomie
01.29.2012 , 11:28 AM | #14
make every encounter unfriendly to everyone, problem solved.

KiranK
01.30.2012 , 05:28 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by anotomie View Post
make every encounter unfriendly to everyone, problem solved.
Tell that to the devs.
There's no QQing in baseball.

RenegadeArcher
02.01.2012 , 07:47 PM | #16
So sad, but true.

Kanthric
02.01.2012 , 08:02 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by sdeha View Post
It is few skill designs that just completely show how little the operations designers understood about the problem. The clearest example is Gharj as a whole, both Frenzy and Pounce are just ridiculous for melee. I know the encounter is a joke in difficulty, but it does not remove the fact that it is just poor design.
The Mythic team who worked on WAR did some interesting things with their higher level dungeons, where bosses tended to alternate being horrible to melee and horrible to ranged - if you brought an all-ranged group then some bosses were faceroll easy whilst others gave you no room for mistakes. Having a balanced group smoothed out the extremes.

TOR has already shown some anti-ranged 'fun' on various enemies and encounters which happily interrupt you, pull you out of position, force you to run around a lot (not good for RDPS turret spec), debuff your damage if you get too far out of range, etc.

If they take a leaf out of Mythic's book, expect bosses that will drop aggro and charge the furthest party member away, mechanics that alternate the cone / AoE close ranged attack with a mass AoE two-shot kill on anything that isn't within touching distance, etc.

Its a bit unfriendly to melee at the moment, but there's more than enough time for that to rebalance...so, erm...careful what you wish for, eh?