Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/electronic-arts-reports-q3-fy12-financial-results-2012-02-01

"-- Star Wars®: The Old Republic has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month."

Let's see how people spin this one ;)

No reason to spin it, it's a quarter ending December 31 recap. At that point, everyone who activated a code was in their free month and could be considered a subscriber. The important numbers will some out in a few months, telling us how many subscriptions they retained.

No reason to spin it, it's a quarter ending December 31 recap. At that point, everyone who activated a code was in their free month and could be considered a subscriber. The important numbers will some out in a few months, telling us how many subscriptions they retained.

That is ACTIVE subscription. Post free month. Read the actual thing.

Over 2 million sold and 1.7 million have subbed passed their free month...

Pro tip: read the article before posting instead of assuming you already know what's in it.

/facepalm

Mind telling me what the facepalm is for or do you have reading troubles?

Notice how it says over a month. As in people who have actively subscribed. Out of 2 million boxes sold 1.7 million of those people payed for the next month.

What is so difficult to understand?

That is way over even the most generous analyst estimate which was 1.2 million passed the free month.

Edited by Improv-

No.

When the CEO or CFO speaks at the earnings call and uses words like "current" or "active" he doesn't mean as of 12/31. It means as of now.

The financial statements released are as of 12/31 and do not reflect these revenues, but when they're talking about "current" they mean as of now, not 12/31. The same holds true for unit sales, which are as of a little over a month since release -- i.e., as of around now.

Edited by knightblaster

That is ACTIVE subscription. Post free month. Read the actual thing.

Over 2 million sold and 1.7 million have subbed passed their free month...

Electronic Arts Inc. EA -2.39% today announced preliminary financial results for its third fiscal quarter ended December 31, 2011.

Hey, hope it's true. If they are making that kind of money, they should have plenty of capital to improve it.

I'm not hoping the game fails or anything, but 1.7 million subscriptions out of 2 million sales as pretty close to a 100% retention rate which I would find very hard to believe even for the most amazing of games.

Electronic Arts Inc. EA -2.39% today announced preliminary financial results for its third fiscal quarter ended December 31, 2011.

Hey, hope it's true. If they are making that kind of money, they should have plenty of capital to improve it.

I'm not hoping the game fails or anything, but 1.7 million subscriptions out of 2 million sales as pretty close to a 100% retention rate which I would find very hard to believe even for the most amazing of games.

They're counting active subs as of now -- which means it's a mix of people who are in their free month (bought the game after 1/1) and people who are in their first paid month -- not necessarily retention amount.

What he is talking about sub wise is current.

"-- Star Wars®: The Old Republic has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month."

How would that be before January...

They sold 2 mil. 1.7 mil kept the sub so far.

Edited by Improv-

So over 2 million sold and 300k+ people already didn't sub in Jan? That says a lot. It's easy for a big popular IP like Star Wars produced by Bioware to sell big at first, it's what that figure is 6 months-1 year from now that determines the success of the game.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/electronic-arts-reports-q3-fy12-financial-results-2012-02-01

Massive drop huh?

Even if it is active, then give it a few months.

With the amount of people starting to lose patience, I can assure you those 1.7mil will change.

So over 2 million sold and 300k+ people already didn't sub in Jan? That says a lot. It's easy for a big popular IP like Star Wars produced by Bioware to sell big at first, it's what that figure is 6 months-1 year from now that determines the success of the game.

Are you dumb? That is a massive retention rate and no MMO has ever had that big of a retention rate.

I knew some troll was going to make this sound negative hahahah. You people are sad.

The most generous estimate was 1.2 million. SWTOR is officially the second biggest MMO as of now.

Gotta love the spin. Now an implied 85% retention rate is low, and is a problem for the game.

L O L.

Learn how to read those.

Doesn't say anything about the number of subs they have now. And they will try to cover the real ones as long as possible... The stockholders don't really care about fan-boys and how they like the game :p

Dear God.

It says ACTIVE subs. It has 2 numbers.

2 million sold

1.7 million active

I believe you should take your own advice and learn how to read "those."

If it said SWTOR has had over 2 million players that would be spin.

But it's as clear as day. 2 mil sold. 1.7 mil active.

Edited by Improv-

If it is accurate, then that's actually a great retention rate. Especially when you consider that there are a large number of boxes sold who just haven't entered a key yet for whatever reason. This would mean retention of probably 95-100% if they actually have 1.7 million subscriptions as of today.

Repost it here too since we always have atleast 5 - 6 of the same thrread...

Only thing that makes me call BS besides it being from EA to begin with and they'll coat it with sugar any way they can is the fact that it was supposed to be 2mil on box sales alone. This makes it sound like it was a BS figure before as this looks as though it's a grand total physical and digital sales.

Repost it here too since we always have atleast 5 - 6 of the same thrread...

Only thing that makes me call BS besides it being from EA to begin with and they'll coat it with sugar any way they can is the fact that it was supposed to be 2mil on box sales alone. This makes it sound like it was a BS figure before as this looks as though it's a grand total physical and digital sales.

Yup it's one massive conspiracy EA just laid out to its stock holders. /faceplam

Really dude? Really?

Some people hate something so much that they just want it to fail and will find any reason to spin a good headline into something negative. It's pathetic really.

Edited by Improv-

Yeah i know the company says the game is thriving and people are increasing. Now in game the players notice mass exodus guilds are empty no server is heavy most are in the yellow or green. You have a flist of over 50 people who don't log in anymore. Shouts to form high level Fp go from 15-20 min to form to over an hour if at all...but the game is thriving. Most 3 prty forums and even this forum is filled pissed off customers but the game has people subbing by the masses lmao gfto. Post a report and people will believe anything. Edited by Poisonsenvy

If it is accurate, then that's actually a great retention rate. Especially when you consider that there are a large number of boxes sold who just haven't entered a key yet for whatever reason. This would mean retention of probably 95-100% if they actually have 1.7 million subscriptions as of today.

I doubt that the 1.7 is people in the first paying month -- it's likely a mix of people in the first paying month and people who bought the game later and are in their free month but have not canceled and so their subs are "active".

Yeah i know the company says the game is thriving and people are increasing. Now in game the players notice mass exodus guilds are empty no server is heavy most are in the yellow or green. You have a flist of over 50 people who don't log in anymore. Shouts to form high level Fp go from 15-20 min to form to over an hour if at all...but the game is thriving. Most 3 prty forums and even this forum is filled pissed off customers but the game has people subbing by the massed lmao gfto. Post a report and people will believe anything.

peak time the game has Full, Very Heavy, and Heavy servers don't lie.

Not everyone logs in at the same time genious.

Again another conspiracy nut who thinks EA just lied to all its investors. High fives. Here is your tin foil hat.