Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Give me a reason to level a Armor-making skill

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Give me a reason to level a Armor-making skill

12.14.2011 , 10:17 PM | #1
So, with the existence of mods, why would I ever take a crew skill that makes armor? I mean, sure I'll get the armor-making skills eventually to complete my empire of crafting alts, but it certainly won't be first.

If someone can get a moddable piece of gear, then wouldn't they just keep buying mods for their gear instead of new gear? I keep hearing people saying "Go with Synthweaving, you can make some purples for yourself and some other good gear for guildies!".....but why the heck wouldn't my guildies just go get some moddable armor and I'll craft them mods instead?

So far the only reason I see is for the LOOK of an armor set. But I'm guessing the coolest looks come from Operations and PvP. Also, the recipes for moddable armor are rare, aren't they?
Guild Leader of
<Dawn of Insanity>
Server: The Fatman US-East Coast PvP
Visit us at !

12.14.2011 , 10:21 PM | #2
Not all appearances are available from quest lines, supposedly.

Not supposedly: More powerful crafted gear is usually obtained earlier then equally powerful mods.

It's a trade off, basically.

12.14.2011 , 11:11 PM | #3
Chances are you'll be making the strongest gear pre-raiding/heroics.

12.14.2011 , 11:13 PM | #4
The reverse engineered epics that armor craft gives for every armor slot have if they crit during crafting have more mods slots that will not be on looted gear for you raid gear mods to go in