Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Arguments Against Biochem?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Arguments Against Biochem?

Joonbeams
02.01.2012 , 01:20 PM | #1
Are there any, even after the nerf? Right now I'm using synthweaving, but I get get better armor from drops/mods. It seems like the ability to generate countless stims, medpacs, etc. is just so obviously better. I'm barely level 50, so I plan to switch. Am I missing anything?

NDiggy
02.01.2012 , 01:31 PM | #2
The only thing I'd say is that in the coming patches over the next few months Synthweaving and other professions might receive more patterns or changes to make them more useful at max level. If you're patient and planning on staying around for a while there is no reason to change.

That said, leveling professions isn't too difficult in this game so it wouldn't be hard to drop something for Biochem and then drop Biochem later for something else if that is more appealing down the road.
A countryman between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats. -
Benjamin Franklin

Qoojo
02.01.2012 , 01:33 PM | #3
I think Cybertech is starting to become my go to crafting skill because I like getting orange armor for the looks, and simply being able to upgrade it.

This post is Wookie approved and
IEEE 9000 Ewok tested

memoriesofprey
02.01.2012 , 01:33 PM | #4
The hipster in you would be sad.
Kalam SummerIsle <--- Marauder doesn't afraid of anything.

PjPablo
02.01.2012 , 01:35 PM | #5
I am not going to focus too much on crafting right now. I just feel there will be a ton of flux over the next few/several months. Always works that way in MMOs. Day 1 crafting never looks like Day 180, 365, etc, etc.

That said, can't go wrong with Biochem in my opinion. At least it has things you will use.

KiranK
02.01.2012 , 01:39 PM | #6
Almost all other crafts other than Biochem are lack luster. Sure, there are rare patterns that drop off hard mode/raid bosses and you can make some rakata gear, but everything is bind on pickup. EVEN THE ITEMS YOUR SCHEMATICS MAKE are bind on pick up. This means that even if you get an awesome schematic, you can't sell what you can make from it. You can only make gear for yourself. This makes the end game value of these crafts absolutely worthless. I've already switched from Synthweaving to Biochem because Biochem is so much more versatile. It keeps on giving then entire game. Synthweaving stopped giving after I made my own armor. It was useless to me after that. In order to fix this they need to:

1) Remove the BoP bullsh*t. All that does is make anything you make with high end crew skills worthless. Ooooo, I'm a JK and I got this awesome Consular robe schematic. Too bad I can't wear Consular gear AND I can't sell it either. Soooooooooooooooooo, glad I found this.

2) Increase the number of useful schematics that drop from raid hard mode bosses and MAKE THE SCHEMATICS THEMSELVES BIND ON EQUIP. There's no reason for the schematics to be BoP. At least make them sellable to help the economy.

3) Increase the stats of items you can make with the schematics found on your crew skill trainers in order to make them useful as fillers when waiting for raid gear.

4) Fix RE please. I'm tired of seeing "You already know that schematic". It's such a time sink to get meaningful artifact combinations that by the time I do I've long since collected gear that is better. That's a serious design flaw.
There's no QQing in baseball.

Joonbeams
02.01.2012 , 01:41 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by NDiggy View Post
The only thing I'd say is that in the coming patches over the next few months Synthweaving and other professions might receive more patterns or changes to make them more useful at max level. If you're patient and planning on staying around for a while there is no reason to change.

That said, leveling professions isn't too difficult in this game so it wouldn't be hard to drop something for Biochem and then drop Biochem later for something else if that is more appealing down the road.
This is my main reason for having second thoughts. Seems like the other crafting skills will have to get buffed or biochem nerfed again. So maybe it's worth waiting. But as it is now, I have yet to see a good argument against biochem.

loudent
02.01.2012 , 01:45 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Qoojo View Post
I think Cybertech is starting to become my go to crafting skill because I like getting orange armor for the looks, and simply being able to upgrade it.
Likewise. Between Artifice and Cybertech I'm able to keep my orange gear upgraded (only missing the ability tmake a barrel for ranged weapons) at ever level. Artifice gives me hilts and enhancements and cyber gives me armor and mods.

jdnyc
02.01.2012 , 01:46 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Qoojo View Post
Sadly in end game most of the best stuff can come from drops and dailies as far as mods go. It costs less and uses no mats and the dailies are guaranteed.

Bartes
02.01.2012 , 01:46 PM | #10
ok if they "buff" other crew skills but I bet that even if you will be able to craft legendary stuff if will require you to farm nightmare FPs many times to get some special ingredient -> another time sink.

Rakata medpacks are basically worth the same as lvl 49 reusable ones and actually worse than blue ones. Still I take bio over any other craft (had 400 Armormech and dropped it) just because I not only spend fortune on medpacks/stims/adrenals but can craft implants for ALL classes not armors for only 2.

I said this earlier, if they made some reusable items (like armor fixing devices for armormech/synth or deployable barricades) for other crafts it would be barely OK. If any craft could make something worth using in PvP, even better.
Aes Sidhe

Bartas - lvl 50/70+ Gunslinger - Sharpshooter specced and lovin it!