Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

gunslinger and sniper class fail..

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
gunslinger and sniper class fail..

Damidos
01.31.2012 , 01:39 AM | #1
gun slinger and sniper, need something im just not sure what.

sith sorcerer and mercenary and their counterparts, can do everything a sniper can do dps wise, with out the mobility issue, and they have the option to heal.. how is that fair.

I love the cover system but lets be real its more of a draw back in pvp than it is a benefit. snipers and gun slinger are the only unique never before seen in mmo history class this game has. They need love.

Im not sure what can be done. perhaps give their aimed shot a range of 40 dare i say 45 or more cc/ debuffs.

can any one defend these classes as not being gimped in pvp?
does any one see alot of them in the level 50 bracket?
does any one have any suggestions to fix them?

Chromiie
01.31.2012 , 01:45 AM | #2
I don't pvp much but I have read that Snipers are pretty damn OP if you check out the 500k damage thread on the pvp forums there are a lot snipers I believe. I could be wrong.
Quote: Originally Posted by DamionSchubert View Post
We don't have friendly fire in The Old Republic for a simple reason: a lot of players are, well... idiots. I don't mean you, of course, dear reader

BCBull
01.31.2012 , 01:47 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Damidos View Post
gun slinger and sniper, need something im just not sure what.

sith sorcerer and mercenary and their counterparts, can do everything a sniper can do dps wise, with out the mobility issue, and they have the option to heal.. how is that fair.

I love the cover system but lets be real its more of a draw back in pvp than it is a benefit. snipers and gun slinger are the only unique never before seen in mmo history class this game has. They need love.

Im not sure what can be done. perhaps give their aimed shot a range of 40 dare i say 45 or more cc/ debuffs.

can any one defend these classes as not being gimped in pvp?
does any one see alot of them in the level 50 bracket?
does any one have any suggestions to fix them?
Idk I was having a blast on my level 18 sniper alt a little while ago. The play style is different and that's a good thing.
Quote: Originally Posted by Greg Zoeller
Fixing requires technology that we currently do not have.

Thelooney
01.31.2012 , 01:48 AM | #4
In the current state, it's all about the expertise. Geared sniper/gunslinger can demolish people with great gear (there was a post where a gunslinger posted several screen grabs where he was doing 600 - 900k dmg over a WZ battle). Dirty Fighting/lethality ignores armor, so that's a spec that bypasses the biggest pitfall to marksman/engi spec; weakness vs heavy armored opponent.

sheam
01.31.2012 , 01:48 AM | #5
I thought that the cover was really cool in reference to taking NO damage from many basic ranged attacks. I actually sat behind cover once in Hard Mode FE and tanked 3 Elite Droids taking Zero damage while my entire group ran back to kill them. It makes me wonder if Snipers / Gunslingers are considered "range off-tanks." Other than that, though, the mobility issue does seem to throw a wrench in the mix.

HelinCarnate
01.31.2012 , 01:50 AM | #6
Solo pvp yea, snipers kinda suck unless they can get off the first shot before the other person knows it is coming. But on teams with others that know what they are doing, you can rack up the kills in a hurry. My lvl 19 sniper is normally at the top of the list at the end of warzones in damage and kills.
Dear BW,
Please nerf paper and buff rock. Scissors is fine as is.
Signed, Rock.

stephenjohnp
01.31.2012 , 08:52 AM | #7
I do not know what you are complaining about. Operatives/Scoundrels are now THE WORST class in the game and are completely un-viable for any situation.

Sky_walkerPL
01.31.2012 , 09:07 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by stephenjohnp View Post
I do not know what you are complaining about. Operatives/Scoundrels are now THE WORST class in the game and are completely un-viable for any situation.
I play one. In PvP more than often they do better job than DPS melee fighters (maybe besides these who can stealth, like Jedi Shadow).
Sky Legacy, Hydian Way
[COLOR="PaleTurquoise"]Proudly contributed to: Color crystals RE guide DH DB. Created: Imp uniforms list.

ihateyouall
01.31.2012 , 09:09 AM | #9
Although I like my sniper, sith sorcerers in a full DPS spec can do more burst damage, or even "short term sustained damage" (I know, funny term, but I'm talking 60-90 seconds, so a little longer than what i would consider burst) than a sniper can.

So in terms of PvP, sith sorcerers are better in just about every way possible than a sniper.
I HATE YOU

FatedGlory
01.31.2012 , 09:20 AM | #10
The only damage us gunslingers/snipers can mitigate is ranged blaster damage. We have no defense against AoE tech damage or elemental resistance. Guess what classes kill us more often than not? Lightning sorcerers, rocket spamming mercenaries, and melee damaging Operatives. That being said we do have certain talents that give us a "shield" that helps quite a bit against burst damage, but we sacrifice single target DPS to get it, so we are basically nothing more than a distraction in that role. An annoying distraction sure, but not a viable threat.