Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How many tanks for 8 man ops?

Arngrim
01.30.2012 , 11:01 AM | #1
So we begin ops next week as a guild and I have been hearing conflicting things. My guild leader is insisting on 2 tanks for our 8 man but I have been hearing 8 man only needs one. I'm not quite sure what to do as he wants me to gear as a tank MS and DPS OS even though I am the "offtank".

Any of you experienced players have any advice? If there are 2 tanks needed on some fights and not others should I play a hybrid tank/dps spec? Should I off tank in dps spec with tank gear or tank spec with dps gear for fights I don't tank?

Malpracticex
01.30.2012 , 11:05 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Arngrim View Post
So we begin ops next week as a guild and I have been hearing conflicting things. My guild leader is insisting on 2 tanks for our 8 man but I have been hearing 8 man only needs one. I'm not quite sure what to do as he wants me to gear as a tank MS and DPS OS even though I am the "offtank".

Any of you experienced players have any advice? If there are 2 tanks needed on some fights and not others should I play a hybrid tank/dps spec? Should I off tank in dps spec with tank gear or tank spec with dps gear for fights I don't tank?

i think it all depends on the fight too. sometimes you'll need 1 tank in each group only. sometimes you'll need a main tank and off tank for the adds. it all depends on the fight.

trotsky_tor
01.30.2012 , 11:06 AM | #3
You only need 1 tank for any 8-man stuff currently.

Eroex
01.30.2012 , 11:11 AM | #4
1 tank for all of the fights.

a second tank for nightmare Jarg and Sorno depending on gear and the classes you have, may help and make the fight easy mode. Although normal and hard don't do enough damage to warrant it.

so out of the 30 "different" fights 1 fight might have a second tank be useful.

Its the same for 16 man also.

Rejectoo
01.30.2012 , 11:11 AM | #5
Guess first thing to say is pretty well know all fights are DPS race. So more tanks less DPS.

You need 1 MT but you do need someone that can take aggro and stay alive for a bit a couple of places.

1. Turret Breaks on EV
2. Puzzle EV
3. 2 Bounty Hunters Palace
4. Droid with Fire Palace

We are thinking of using a 2nd tank on Soa HM to have him break lighting balls.

Natarii
01.30.2012 , 11:13 AM | #6
I would still take 2 tanks and here's why: some fights have adds that might hit your 1 tank hard enough early on (first time through/pre-geared) that healers get behind. Other fights divide your group up into your 2 4 man teams - you'll want a healer and someone that CAN tank in each group. Finally, hardmode operations will require 2 full tanks and you'll want them geared from normal mode to be useful in hard. The dps loss from taking a second tank really won't matter much in normal mode, but the geared tank gained by doing so will be necessary for further progression. So while that second tank may not feel very tank like for most encounters on normal mode, he certainly will be needed in hard. If your guild has absolutely no intrest in hardmode operations, by all means, take/gear 1 tank.
Dark Lord of Altaholics Anonymous
Sword of Ajunta Pall - Sith Empire

thorizdin
01.30.2012 , 11:15 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Rejectoo View Post
You need 1 MT but you do need someone that can take aggro and stay alive for a bit a couple of places.

1. Turret Breaks on EV
2. Puzzle EV

This ^^^, though we often run two tank operations because we ended up with more tanks than we really need for the 8 person content but we're still running some people through the HM FPs. Bioware did not do a good job here seeing how class progression was going to work out. This could be dealt with by:

1) Changing the operations to legitimately need two tanks (traditional MMO approach).
2) Make respeccing less of a chore so that we can store a build even if we have to pay to switch between them.
3) Make dual spec part of the game.

Eroex
01.30.2012 , 11:15 AM | #8
There is zero reason to do so, the DPS loss isn't worth it at all.

In P3 avoid the balls while the boss is damageable, after hes immune, break the lightning balls with the people targeted, then get back on the mind traps.

~10k damage to each person is easily healable

1. Turret Breaks on EV
2. Puzzle EV
1. not needed
2. not needed just kite them
3. only on nightmare (maybe)
4. not needed easily healable the boss doesn't do enough damage to the tank to warrant it.

Mantang
01.30.2012 , 11:19 AM | #9
We were doing EV this past weekend and the puzzle fight was much more difficult than it was previously with the update. Even with CCing, with mid to bad luck you will have 4-5 bugs attacking your party by the fourth round and the incoming damage is insane so not sure how you would pull this off with no 2nd tank especially in nightmare mode.

Eroex
01.30.2012 , 11:23 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Mantang View Post
We were doing EV this past weekend and the puzzle fight was much more difficult than it was previously with the update. Even with CCing, with mid to bad luck you will have 4-5 bugs attacking your party by the fourth round and the incoming damage is insane so not sure how you would pull this off with no 2nd tank especially in nightmare mode.
How are people having problems with the puzzle boss?

DPS kite them, them stun them, slow them, taunt kite them with a powertech, assassin, or juggernaut DPS.

i assume you are talking about the aklays because if you are having problems with the 10k life guys that's a DPS "learn to push their buttons" situation

Also the colors are set, just google what direction to turn them. You should know what direction and how many times, before the start of the fight for each row.

Im pretty sure this is the order

Blue, Green, Red, Purple, White, Yellow

so if its on red and you need blue you turn it, twice to the left. If its on white and you need green you turn it 3 times ether direction.