Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Space Lasers vs Color Crystals

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Space Lasers vs Color Crystals

Phunkmonkee
01.30.2012 , 08:45 AM | #1
Generally speaking; Red lightsabers are associated with the Dark Side. Green and Blue represent the Light Side.

Yet in space, all the bad dudes are shooting green lasers at my face and I return fire with Red lasers....

Why is this?

DevonLoy
01.30.2012 , 08:50 AM | #2
I think it might be for visual reasons (like green is easier to see) because even in everything else non space combat there are multiple times Ive seen Imperial ships shooting red shots, so I dont know why it changed for space combat.

Mephane
01.30.2012 , 09:00 AM | #3
The reason is - because it's (stereo)typically been like that in the movies. Rebel ship shot red, Empire ship shot green lasers (even the Death Star shot green). The prequel movies did not adhere to this theme and took much more liberties in color choice regarding blaster guns and spaceship weapons.

That said - I would love a color crystal slot on my ship to adjust the color of its lasers!
Ceterum censeo chat bubbles addenda et party bomb reddendum esse.
---
The Alot is Better Than You at Everything

Zyrachiel
01.30.2012 , 09:01 AM | #4
If you take a look at the lore you'll find out there is a reason Sith are associated with red lightsabers. I won't go into exact names or eras as I don't recall them out of the top of my head.

In the past when the first dark Jedi (the kind you are concerned with on Tython in TOR) began to broke off from the order they found themselves without access to the natural force crystal caves, which yield blue, green and yellow crystals. Their solution to the problem was manufacturing their own lightsaber crystals. These synthetic crystals served just as well, the only difference is they couldn't make any other color than red. Hence, the red lightsabers.
Here's a vague quote from Wookiepedia regarding the topic:

"While the Jedi used natural crystals, the Sith often used red-hued synthetic crystals. Sith-made synthetic crystals create a slightly more powerful blade when energized by the dark side of the Force, occasionally demonstrating the ability to "break" Jedi lightsaber blades, disrupting the energy circuit and shorting out the weapon, as almost happened to Obi-Wan Kenobi while fighting Darth Vader on the first Death Star."

As for the blaster shot colors I imagine there is a similar reason, perhaps the Empire manufactures their ammunition from materials that make its shots green, whereas the Republic holds planets that yield red ammunition.

Or there could be some sort of warfare code of conduct that forces the warring factions to use different energy cell colors.

Edit: added wookiepedia quote
Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice.

IlexGlabra
01.30.2012 , 10:43 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Phunkmonkee View Post
Generally speaking; Red lightsabers are associated with the Dark Side. Green and Blue represent the Light Side.

Yet in space, all the bad dudes are shooting green lasers at my face and I return fire with Red lasers....

Why is this?
Go watch Star Wars Episode IV.

Rotha
01.30.2012 , 11:40 AM | #6
My ship shoots green lasers. /shrug

Moonlightthorn
01.30.2012 , 01:02 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by DevonLoy View Post
I think it might be for visual reasons (like green is easier to see) because even in everything else non space combat there are multiple times Ive seen Imperial ships shooting red shots, so I dont know why it changed for space combat.
ive played both republic and Imps.. and no matter wich side you play on Imps = Green and Rep = Red... i think they might have done a mixup in the code.. some tired dude mixing up Rep with Imp a late night when the coffe was out and then it has just been overlooked.

Yukondoit
01.30.2012 , 01:27 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Moonlightthorn View Post
ive played both republic and Imps.. and no matter wich side you play on Imps = Green and Rep = Red... i think they might have done a mixup in the code.. some tired dude mixing up Rep with Imp a late night when the coffe was out and then it has just been overlooked.
Watch. The. Films.
"The nine most dangerous words are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"-Ronald Reagan

We all want new playable races. Specifically, we all want Bothans.

LordThar
01.30.2012 , 02:33 PM | #9
It's a very shallow and ignorant view to say that all Imperials are evil while all the Republic are nice and good. The fact is that both sides have their share of good and bad people serving. Just look at WWII, we tend to look at the Nazis as being evil, and while there were some of the most evil people in history serving with them, the majority of the German people were just normal people fighting for their country.

Also this topic reminds me of why I think the restrictions on colour crystals is stupid, especially for the non-force classes who when given a choice would simply pick whichever colour they liked the most and wouldn't care about traditional jedi and sith lightsaber colours.

sol_
01.30.2012 , 02:36 PM | #10
A Star Destroyer shooting red lasers would look plain wrong! It's just always been green.