Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[How to] Mouse look toggle

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
[How to] Mouse look toggle

Deewe
01.29.2012 , 02:17 PM | #1
Thought some of you would enjoy this little trick I've been keeping doing in all MMO that does not allow a mouse look toggle feature.

1) Download and install AutoHotkey (It's a Freeware)
2) Copy and parse the following code in a txt file
Spoiler

3) Rename the file to an ".ahk" extension
4) For Vista and Windows 7 users
  • Right click on it and select "Compile script"
  • Right click on the "Your_script_name_file.exe"
  • Select Properties
  • Click on Compatibility tab
  • Check Run this program as an administrator
  • Eventually check Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 3)

Either before or after launching your game launch your Your_script_name_file.exe.
ALT + Left mouse button will lock your character in mouse look mode
Right mouse button will deactivate the mouse look toggle

Note: You can replace !LButton (==ALT + Left mouse button) in the script with any other key binding of your liking.

I usually use Shift (+) or CTRL (^) with Left mouse button but I'd have then to remap them too as SWTOR has hard coded them to parse item links in chat and so.

Another example to rebind the, for now, hard coded key, like ~, Left windows key or alt tab
Spoiler

^a: replaces CRTL+ A with PageUp in the example
And so on.

Some references: clicky ; modifiers

With the above you can pretty much rebind everything, yes alt-tab too
Note: I said rebind not macro...

Darthshnooky
01.29.2012 , 03:01 PM | #2
You, as a player and not a dev, cannot say definitively that players can't get banned for this. It's likely that it won't get people banned, as you pointed out it's similar to how programmable keyboards or mice work. But you shouldn't tell people they cannot get banned for something unless you have a definitive source for that comment.

Deewe
01.29.2012 , 04:40 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Darthshnooky View Post
You, as a player and not a dev, cannot say definitively that players can't get banned for this. It's likely that it won't get people banned, as you pointed out it's similar to how programmable keyboards or mice work. But you shouldn't tell people they cannot get banned for something unless you have a definitive source for that comment.
Fair enough, removed the comment.

Good highlight!

Shambleresp
02.02.2012 , 02:18 AM | #4
Tyvm man, works very fine. Was searching anything like that time ago,

grezgorz
03.29.2012 , 05:19 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Darthshnooky View Post
Imagine if they started banning people for coming up with a solution to a problem they created by using a sub-par game engine and failing to include basic control options that should be standard in any modern pc game? That would be funny!

SabreNova
03.29.2012 , 05:42 PM | #6
Sorry if this is a noob question, but I don't exactly understand what this does. I understand how to implement it into the game, but what will it allow me to do with my mouse?
The Skysaber Legacy
Master Nihalus Master Akrizios
Agent BartonCaptain ThatchGladiator Novius

Deewe
03.30.2012 , 06:22 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by SabreNova View Post
Sorry if this is a noob question, but I don't exactly understand what this does. I understand how to implement it into the game, but what will it allow me to do with my mouse?
It virtually locks down the mouse button allowing you to steer with the mouse without being obliged to hold down the mouse button.

In a way it makes you move like in a FPS.

Superadrian
03.30.2012 , 07:07 AM | #8
Thank you very much!

SirSensi
03.30.2012 , 07:19 AM | #9
Very cool tip, I might have to try this.

How does it work in game, say in PvP? Would one just Tab-target?
SQUADRON 238 |Beta Tester|
< The Trichome Legacy >

Sensi

SabreNova
03.30.2012 , 10:16 AM | #10
Oh, I understand now. That seems extremely helpful, makes it a bit easier and more like Halo/COD....I'll try it out! As long as its perfectly safe to use in the game without any repercussions.
The Skysaber Legacy
Master Nihalus Master Akrizios
Agent BartonCaptain ThatchGladiator Novius