[How to] Mouse look toggle

Deewe

Thought some of you would enjoy this little trick I've been keeping doing in all MMO that does not allow a mouse look toggle feature.

(edit) Been asked by some players to make standalone version of the mouse look toggle:

• Left ALT only - mouse look
  • Left Win only - mouse look
  • RMB only - mouse look
  • z - mouse look
  • Mouse 4 - mouse look

===============

= Download here =

===============

Just download the above file and run as administrator.

The key mentioned in the name will activate the mouse look toggle.

*** you only need to use one pre-compiled file ***

*** Source included for personal customization ***

Advanced version:

1) Download and install AutoHotkey (It's a Freeware)

2) Copy and parse the following code in a txt file

Thread, interrupt, 0

;

!LButton::

Thread, Priority, 2147483647

Click down right

exit

;

#IfWinActive

Alternative version with the same key for activating and deactivating the mouse look (here left alt):

Thread, interrupt, 0

;

LAlt::

GetKeyState, State, RButton

if state=U

Click Down Right

else

Click Up Right

Return

;

3) Rename the file to an ".ahk" extension

4) For Vista and Windows 7 users

• Run \AutoHotkey\Compiler\Ahk2Exe.exe"
  • Select the file you made and compile it to a .exe file
  • Eventually right click on the "Your_script_name_file.exe"
    • Select Properties
    • Click on Compatibility tab
    • Check Run this program as an administrator
    • Eventually check Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 3)

Either before or after launching your game launch your Your_script_name_file.exe.

ALT
+
Left mouse button
will lock your character in mouse look mode

Right mouse button will deactivate the mouse look toggle

Note: You can replace !LButton (==ALT + Left mouse button) in the script with any other key binding of your liking.

I usually use Shift (+) or CTRL (^) with Left mouse button but I'd have then to remap them too as SWTOR has hard coded them to parse item links in chat and so.

Another example to rebind the, for now, hard coded key, like ~, Left windows key or alt tab

#IfWinActive Star Wars: The Old Republic

Thread, interrupt, 0

^a::PgUp

`::F12

~::Insert

LWin::NumLock

AltTab::Numpad0

#IfWinActive

^a: replaces CRTL+ A with PageUp in the example

And so on.

Some references: clicky ; modifiers

With the above you can pretty much rebind everything, yes alt-tab too ;)

Note: I said rebind not macro...

Edited by Deewe

You, as a player and not a dev, cannot say definitively that players can't get banned for this. It's likely that it won't get people banned, as you pointed out it's similar to how programmable keyboards or mice work. But you shouldn't tell people they cannot get banned for something unless you have a definitive source for that comment.

You, as a player and not a dev, cannot say definitively that players can't get banned for this. It's likely that it won't get people banned, as you pointed out it's similar to how programmable keyboards or mice work. But you shouldn't tell people they cannot get banned for something unless you have a definitive source for that comment.

Fair enough, removed the comment.

Good highlight!

• 1 month later...

Imagine if they started banning people for coming up with a solution to a problem they created by using a sub-par game engine and failing to include basic control options that should be standard in any modern pc game? That would be funny!

Edited by grezgorz

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I don't exactly understand what this does. I understand how to implement it into the game, but what will it allow me to do with my mouse?

It virtually locks down the mouse button allowing you to steer with the mouse without being obliged to hold down the mouse button.

In a way it makes you move like in a FPS.

Very cool tip, I might have to try this.

How does it work in game, say in PvP? Would one just Tab-target?

Not sure I understand your question.

The toggle only works for mouse look not targeting enemies.

Not sure I understand your question.

The toggle only works for mouse look not targeting enemies.

Yes, I understand the function.

I was just wondering how the targeting is affected in pvp/e. Like, could you still left-click on the target that is within range, or would you have to use the tab key for targeting? OR would you just use it situationally, like disable it to select and then enable it for movement?

I know it locks down the mouse so you can run through like an FPS... I was just being vauge on my original question, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Yes, I understand the function.

I was just wondering how the targeting is affected in pvp/e. Like, could you still left-click on the target that is within range, or would you have to use the tab key for targeting? OR would you just use it situationally, like disable it to select and then enable it for movement?

I know it locks down the mouse so you can run through like an FPS... I was just being vauge on my original question, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Gotcha!

As you're locking the mouse you can't move the mouse cursor anymore with it.

Still you can use the "Target Center Screen" Key binding option.

What you're missing though is a reticle to know where exactly you are aiming at.

Edited by Deewe

Gotcha!

As you're locking the mouse you can't move the mouse cursor anymore with it.

Still you can use the "Target Center Screen" Key binding option.

What you're missing though is a reticle to know where exactly you are aiming at.

Ah ok. Makes sense, it would be nice to have that reticle but that is on BW's end. Then it would almost be like SWG... Without the auto attack feature, lol.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I am still eager to try it.

• 4 weeks later...

Removed the "#IfWinActive Star Wars: The Old Republic" in the code as BioWare added a™ tag in the name and even adding it in the line does not woks.

So the toggle will work both in game and in others windows.

• 2 weeks later...

You've really made my game with this thread, and I've been using AHK and your script to mouselook for some months now, thanks!

Removed the "#IfWinActive Star Wars: The Old Republic" in the code as BioWare added a™ tag in the name and even adding it in the line does not woks.

So the toggle will work both in game and in others windows.

My mouselook key is R, so you can imagine that constantly activating Click Down Right would be pretty damn annoying inside other windows. For me however, adding "#IfWinActive Star Wars™: The Old Republic™" does work, so maybe you should try and paste this.

Also, I wanted it so that it would be a toggle ànd still be able to use my R key while typing chat messages, so I've edited the script somewhat:

Thread, interrupt, 0
#IfWinActive Star Wars™: The Old Republic™
;
#NoEnv
toggle=0
SetMouseDelay,-1
return

r::
if toggle
Click Down Right
else
Click Up Right
Send r
toggle := 1 - toggle
return
;

#IfWinActive

When I type an R in chat, it will toggle mouselook at the same time, but that's unavoidable, I guess. For people that don't use a letter key, this won't be a problem.

Thanks again!

• 2 months later...
I don't quite understand what this is supposed to do for you? You press a key instead of holding down right mouse button to move your camera and then have to toggle it back again? Seems like more of a pain than an advantage to me.

I don't quite understand what this is supposed to do for you? You press a key instead of holding down right mouse button to move your camera and then have to toggle it back again? Seems like more of a pain than an advantage to me.
Not for many of us that have used the toggle mouse mode feature in other games. I've been missing this feature in the game forever, and this allows those of us who want it to finally use this nice quality of live feature.

• 1 month later...

Wonderful toggle to add back quality of life!

For those worrying about being banned for something like this, feel free to write in to CS and ask, make it very clear you are asking if it's ok to use a thirdparty program solely to toggle mouselook.

I wrote in a while ago about using AHK to make "roleplay" chat macros for pvp use, and did get a statement that is an allowed use. Unfortunately my script didn't always work. It would paste half the sentence then a bit from the middle would be left out, then it would paste the end. Then sometimes it would paste the whole thing. Think the dual process was messing something up. Anyway, I had to abandon the idea.

Imagine typing "inc3e" and having AHK replace that with "A small group incoming to east! Aid me!" or "moreinc" becoming "We are being overwhelmed! Send reinforcements ASAP." that would be too cool. Not so much leetspeak but still fast to type. Ah well.

• 1 year later...

I'm guessing no objections were made for this by the game's admins? As an older thread I'd assume someone would've posted if they were banned for it.

I've been looking for something like this. I'm not a big fan of "cheating" in games, but I really don't feel like this particular control option is a "cheat" anyway, as it only adds an option for the sake of the feel of the controls, and doesn't give an in-game advantage to players who use it..

My biggest problem in this game so far is that turning my camera would often select a new target accidentally, or if I happen to be playing in windowed mode (to look up datacron spots, etc), could even select other windows outside of the game, all in the middle of an engagement. :/

makes the game more frustrating than challenging, in my opinion.

Gonna try this out, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

You're welcome and to my knowledge nobody has been warned or even banned for using my trick.

So as long as you use this trick only to smoothen your game play without trying to exploit the game, you should be fine.

Edited by Deewe

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, Deewe. I know you mentioned earlier the script can turn the steer function on and off without needing to keep the button held down but is there a way to hold down the right mouse button to move and steer with the mouse then stop when released?

I tried getting use to just holding down both left and right mouse buttons but it affects my precision and more importantly causes me strain. Toggling auto-run is okay for general travel across a zone but doesn't work well in FP/OP/WZ's. I have a mouse with numerous buttons which has some key binding and macro software but no matter how I try to configure it, I can't get it to function properly. Is there a way?

Thanks.