Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SW Tabletop RPG Recommendations Anyone?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
SW Tabletop RPG Recommendations Anyone?

DNA_Cowboy
01.27.2012 , 12:15 PM | #1
Been getting the itch to at least pick up some expanded universe or uber-specific setting materials from one of the established RPG settings (WEG, WoC etc.), not so much because I have a definite plan to ever run a game (who knows), but because I might some day, I always appreciate a well done setting book and I could always cannibalize some aspects for another homebrew setting.

I have immediately realized that I have no idea which source books are considered by both player and cannon aficionados as being high quality, in-depth, well written, produced etc. So, I ask anyone who catches this thread before it plummets off the page to give me feedback.

Out of Print isn't necessarily a concern for me, as I can check drivethrurpg to see if they're selling PDFs (not my preference, but I could make do) or try and snag a copy off of eBay. Also, though I'm open to new rule sets, I'd probably run a BRP conversion or something like that anyway, so the crunchy bits don't matter all that much to me.

Any old school tabeltop, PnP RPGers have any advice?
"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Treedodger
01.27.2012 , 04:15 PM | #2
That's like asking what's a person's favorite religion.

Star Wars SAGA edition is probably some of the prettier books recently made and the system is tolerable.

The fan project for GURPS Star Wars is massive and well done http://members.chello.nl/l.deckers3/main_page.html

Or just pick a system you like and use Wookiepedia

Sabster
01.27.2012 , 08:23 PM | #3
Saga rules sucked. The re-release wasn't that bad tho.

GURPS would be a good idea; if I did it - I might go that way.

JacenHallis
01.27.2012 , 09:29 PM | #4
Saga Edition is greatness. I consider it the closest to perfection that a D20 system has come. And, since I like D20, it's one of my favorite systems to play.

I'd stay away from the two earlier D20 attempts, as they have some issues that really killed the game for me ("hit points" fueling all Force powers, for example), but you might enjoy those as well. And some people swear by the old WEG d6 system.

But I and my group are quite happy with Saga Edition.

Those are the official RPGs. They're all out of print now, as WotC couldn't afford (or didn't want to keep paying) to keep the license. So, there is a bit of a limbo period now, as we look forward to seeing what Fantasy Flight is doing with the license apart from a card game and a tactical space combat game.
Ruminara Ven
Passion, yet serenity.

Restepor
01.27.2012 , 09:52 PM | #5
While I'm not to familiar to the Star Wars D20 system books, I know there was a Knights of the Old Republic one written awhile ago. That would be pretty cool to check out.

Aebrynis
01.29.2012 , 05:14 AM | #6
The very first game made for Star Wars by West End Games is the best to date. The system was simple, easy to learn, and made the action flow. Plus they had the Star Wars Adventure Journal published to support it, thick digest-like books with game material and stories by the greats (like Timothy Zahn and Kevin J. Anderson).

Saga edition...eh, it was okay.

Fantasy Flight Games just got the license for the latest incarnation of the game. Should be interesting to see how it stacks up against earlier editions.

DarthMalt
01.29.2012 , 08:15 AM | #7
I liked both the WEG and WOTC versions. The West End version is easier to get tabletop characters the are close to representing the classes you can role, though the force rules only reflect how things were done up to the Corellia trilogy. The WOTC would be easier to set in the TOR era and you can replicate your chars too, just have to do your planning on what to take. Though once again, the force rules reflect the comics and books up to the time the license ended. I will be looking at what FFG will be doing with a lot of interest.

DarthMoord
01.29.2012 , 12:47 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Aebrynis View Post
Fantasy Flight Games just got the license for the latest incarnation of the game. Should be interesting to see how it stacks up against earlier editions.
No they didn't. They got a license to do a Rogue Squadron card game.
See the sniper on the hill.
Rifle's loaded, he's ready to kill.
Kill the enemy, steal his soul.
So early. So early. So early in the morning.

Eldartank
01.29.2012 , 02:47 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthMoord View Post
Darn.... And here I was all psyched up about Fantasy Flight Games doing a Star Wars RPG. They did an amazing job with the Warhammer 40,000 Roleplaying Games (Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, etc). If they did get the license to do a Star Wars RPG, they would probably use a similar rule set, and I love the rule system for the Warhammer 40K RPG's.

I would also be happy if they did a reprint of the old West End Games D6 Dtar Wars RPG, as that one was simple and very fun. And it probably wouldn't be too hard to add rules for Old Reblublic, Clone Wars, and the events after Return of the Jedi.

Well..... Now you got me all inspired to go check out various game websites to see if they have any old copies of that D6 Star Wars RPG for sale....

JacenHallis
01.29.2012 , 04:15 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthMoord View Post
"Fantasy Flight Games is pleased to announce that it has entered a comprehensive licensing partnership with Lucasfilm Ltd. for the worldwide rights to publish card, roleplaying, and miniatures games set in the popular Star Wars™ universe!"

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ed....asp?eidn=2528
Ruminara Ven
Passion, yet serenity.