Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please HELP! Marauder or Assassin?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Please HELP! Marauder or Assassin?

BalkanWarrior
12.14.2011 , 04:51 PM | #1
Sorry for raising yet ANOTHER help me pick a class thread but I'm struggling between the two and I think this is going to drive me nuts over the next few days while I wait for access. I checked the forum for a few pages and even googled it with not much assistance provided.

I got the chance to see some Assassin video's last night and thought it looked awesome. I get to work today and keep reading about stuff and the Marauder gets brought up as an alternative, so I look into it and yea now I have no idea which one to pick. I can't see any Marauder videos until I get home, stupid work blocks YouTube.

I basically want something that will melt you face off. I played WoW for a while back in the day before and slightly after BC with a Paladin, and I had heaps of fun with that but I always envied my two mates who had a Rogue and a Mage. I want a class that will just destroy things with it's DPS capabilities on the Empire side.

I can't tell which class out of Marauder or Assassin would do that, I know the Assassin does great burst damage out of stealth but if your Force is low you can't really do much besides wait it out or run away and try come back with more Force. No idea how the Marauder works.

In terms of PVE it doesn't really matter too much but it would be nice to be able to finally have a class that can kill higher level mobs, elites even without taking 10 years to do it like my Paladin did. I'm thinking more in terms of PVP where I'd love to be able to be able to quickly destroy my enemies.

SoahcEnoz
12.14.2011 , 05:15 PM | #2
For me.. Marauder.. Annihilation Tree... I think best sustained DPS...

DevilsMafia
12.14.2011 , 06:29 PM | #3
From what I've experienced in game during beta and during my early access and from what I've been reading in the forums, the Sorcerer seems to be the "face melting" DPS way to go as far as force users go. The sorcerer seems to be the most popular as of now. You might want to check out some sorcerer videos on YouTube and see what think about that as an alternative. They will give you more of that Mage/Warlock type experience from wow. I'm currently leveling a Sith Inquisitor sorcerer and so far I love it. Ranged DPS with some melee attacks. And who wouldn't want to shoot lightning from their hands?

BalkanWarrior
12.14.2011 , 07:34 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DevilsMafia View Post
From what I've experienced in game during beta and during my early access and from what I've been reading in the forums, the Sorcerer seems to be the "face melting" DPS way to go as far as force users go. The sorcerer seems to be the most popular as of now. You might want to check out some sorcerer videos on YouTube and see what think about that as an alternative. They will give you more of that Mage/Warlock type experience from wow. I'm currently leveling a Sith Inquisitor sorcerer and so far I love it. Ranged DPS with some melee attacks. And who wouldn't want to shoot lightning from their hands?
Hmm.. that throws even more into the mix. I think I'll need to just watch a heap of videos from the Sorcerer, Assassin and Marauder and try to see which looks the coolest and most fun.

It's hard to tell which one does the most damage though. One of the videos I saw for the Assassin had PvP footage where his level 41 was fighting against a 17 and it still took more than a hit or two to kill him but then he was fighting somebody closer to his level and it didn't look like there was much difference between the time it took to kill the level 11 or the higher level.

Wingfoot
12.14.2011 , 07:39 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by BalkanWarrior View Post
Hmm.. that throws even more into the mix. I think I'll need to just watch a heap of videos from the Sorcerer, Assassin and Marauder and try to see which looks the coolest and most fun.

It's hard to tell which one does the most damage though. One of the videos I saw for the Assassin had PvP footage where his level 41 was fighting against a 17 and it still took more than a hit or two to kill him but then he was fighting somebody closer to his level and it didn't look like there was much difference between the time it took to kill the level 11 or the higher level.
That's because there is a level bolster system that put everyone to level 50 as far as stats are concerned in the warzones.

BalkanWarrior
12.14.2011 , 07:50 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
That's because there is a level bolster system that put everyone to level 50 as far as stats are concerned in the warzones.
Well that explains heaps. Wouldn't gear then play a HUGE part and make a massive difference between a level 41 and a level 11?

gt-orphan
12.14.2011 , 07:53 PM | #7
i liked assassin more because of the ranged attacks soften them up, and the melee finishes it

I found the maruder to be far more durable, and probably slightly faster at killing,

TBH i like hybrid style of force / light saber what you dont get as a maruder,
But i do believe the maruder will be better for raw damage
╬╬╬╬╬╬╣♦█╡▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒)