Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New monitor crash

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Daveodroid
12.14.2011 , 05:00 PM | #1
Hello all. I have been playing game for about 3 days, its worked great. I just went from a 20 inch monitor to a new 24 inch widescreen. Game was running on 1600x1200 and now the default for new monitor is 1920x1080. Since installing new screen game crashes after launcher. Screen goes black like its about to load in then nothing.

Any ideas?
I'm not even sure what this key is supposed to mean

Seithon
12.14.2011 , 05:04 PM | #2
First thing see if you can swap the monitors back, then see if the program works.
If it works then the issue lies with the settings somehow, it may be that the new monitor does not support the resolution your previous monitor does or may need to have its settings adjusted (check the manual on the monitor to see what it says about supported resolutions etc)

Other option, generally settings are stored in a config file you could find and edit that file manually to change the resolution the game runs at to one supported by your monitor

Cerimon
12.14.2011 , 05:19 PM | #3 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Greetings Daveodroid,

Please see this post to determine if any of the suggestions there may help you.

Thank you for Pre-Ordering Star Wars™: The Old Republic™

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Daveodroid
12.14.2011 , 06:49 PM | #4
Ok..I was having this issue with some other games too since I got the new monitor. Then I tried Skyrim, which gives you the option to changes settings before you got in the game. I changed the aspect ratio to match the HD resolution that my new monitor is at natively, and it worked like a charm. Is there a file in Swtor somewhere that I can do this?

Daveodroid
12.14.2011 , 06:53 PM | #5
In other words..I just need to change my aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9 and that will probably fix my issue. I tried but cant find a file to be able to do this. Any help would be wonderful..thank you

Amarinth
12.14.2011 , 06:56 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Daveodroid View Post
In other words..I just need to change my aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9 and that will probably fix my issue. I tried but cant find a file to be able to do this. Any help would be wonderful..thank you
The settings file you need to edit is located under: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\sett ings

At least assuming you're running windows 7 or Vista, if you're running XP it'll probably be somewhere hidden away in C:/documents and settings/etc

Open the client_settings.ini file with notepad and change the following entries to match the native resolution of your screen:

NativeHeight = xxxx
NativeWidth = xxxx

If your screen is 1920x1080 that would be:

NativeHeight = 1080
NativeWidth = 1920

If all fails you can set D3DFullScreen = true to D3DFullScreen = false, this will let you start the game in windowed mode and you should then be able to change the resolution ingame and change it back to fullscreen.
We all have our heroes. And when we watch them fall, we die inside...

Daveodroid
12.14.2011 , 07:16 PM | #7
Hey Amarinth I really appreciate your help in this. I found the file and edited it but it didn't work. When I went back and set the D3D to false the screen went black and would never launch in windowed mode. This is frustrating as I know from another game that this is all I need to do and I would be playing. But again ty for responding.