Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Taugrim's "Iron Fist" 25/14/2 PVP Tank Spec [Video]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Taugrim's "Iron Fist" 25/14/2 PVP Tank Spec [Video]

Omegix's Avatar


Omegix
01.28.2012 , 06:10 PM | #11
He plays on Ajunta Pall (as do I). As of late, I would say we play about 65% huttball, with it usually being republic vs. republic.

shucksy's Avatar


shucksy
01.28.2012 , 06:53 PM | #12
We often have republic vs republic on The Crucible Pits also, there are more Imperial players though so I'm not sure why it happens, perhaps they are all carebears?

taugrimtaugrim's Avatar


taugrimtaugrim
01.28.2012 , 07:08 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by shucksy View Post
We often have republic vs republic on The Crucible Pits also, there are more Imperial players though so I'm not sure why it happens, perhaps they are all carebears?
There were a ton of Empire players on Ajunta Pall who queued up for warzones when it was 10-50.

Since 1.1 went live with the separate 50s bracket, Empire has been losing the majority of warzones I've participated in for both brackets on our server. The # of Empire players queuing for warzones has dropped.

If you play Empire and want a server with a healthy Republic population and competent players, roll Empire on Ajunta Pall.
Taugrim
PVP Maven, Guide Writer, Host on GAMEBREAKER's The Republic show
@taugrim | taugrim.com
Guides: Resolve | Powertech/Vanguard PVP | Defense/Shielding | Bolster

Husofanten's Avatar


Husofanten
01.28.2012 , 07:34 PM | #14
Really interesting build.

I just have a few "general" questions:

- you talk about an aoe stun,which skill? Does Stealth Scan stun immobilize everyone in the radius with the 2 talent points?
- does taunt also work in pvp?(the 50% damage reduction) - if yes,damn I must have been a horrible pvp player... glad iam not 50 yet
- should I be the first one to open the fight? Should I hang a bit in the back(<10m Range tho)

But I will definitely check your build out.

taugrimtaugrim's Avatar


taugrimtaugrim
01.28.2012 , 07:41 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Husofanten View Post
- you talk about an aoe stun,which skill? Does Stealth Scan stun immobilize everyone in the radius with the 2 talent points?
You get the PBAoE stun Neural Surge at level 46 IIRC.

Quote: Originally Posted by Husofanten View Post
- does taunt also work in pvp?(the 50% damage reduction) - if yes,damn I must have been a horrible pvp player... glad iam not 50 yet
Taunt reduces damage of your target by 30% if they're attacking anyone but you.

Quote: Originally Posted by Husofanten View Post
- should I be the first one to open the fight? Should I hang a bit in the back(<10m Range tho)
This spec is designed to support an aggressive playstyle.
Taugrim
PVP Maven, Guide Writer, Host on GAMEBREAKER's The Republic show
@taugrim | taugrim.com
Guides: Resolve | Powertech/Vanguard PVP | Defense/Shielding | Bolster

Waagabond's Avatar


Waagabond
01.28.2012 , 09:09 PM | #16
I dont know Taugrim.
18 assault offers rather nice energy gain from when you are ccd and a 2% extra defence from stealth scan.
Not to mention a strong synergy between shield and assault when it comes to HIB procs.

Im 23/0/18 myself and the damage I can pull is rather amazing for generally being a tank.

Im considering going Supercommando instead of tech, especially since I can see my shield proccing alot, and I just feel that it does help quite much.
Yes, vs sith inqs its close to useless, but given the amount of melee classes played, Marauders, assasins etc, and on these so many of their attacks is absorbed by my shield.

If and when they will make the setbonuses mods, so you can move them around. Then I feel supercommando with 15% stockstrike crits would be top of the pops.

But above all, I definately feel that whatever spec you do, unless you want full assault, I definately recomend 23 in Shield. Storm alone makes you able to play a completely different game.
Personally Im using embraced armor for 16% more armor, since armor is maybe the biggest factor in damage mitigation in this game. 16% additional armor adds up to quite some more damage mitigation. Honestly though I have not checked if those 2 points maybe are more worth spending into 2% damage reduction vs all.

I feel that the vanguards true strenght lies in being able to be a heavy tank and still do damage.

As of many of you, I too played Warhammer. I quit before rr80 back in the days, at a steady rr79 with my Chosen. As a side note, its probably the most fun class ive played in any MMO. A tad over the top before some nerfs hit it though.

Vanguard can become a powerhouse dps with the assault tree and thats what I like the most with this class. The versatility, going from a hard nut to crach to a dps machine that places mercs in shame if played correctly.

On another note. With the super commando set you can go straight into the hardest Hardmode flashpoint as you have the gear it takes:-)

Always a pleasure to read what you write mr T.

taugrimtaugrim's Avatar


taugrimtaugrim
01.28.2012 , 09:23 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Waagabond View Post
18 assault offers rather nice energy gain from when you are ccd and a 2% extra defence from stealth scan.
So I tried PCS for several dozen matches. I was really hoping it would provide meaningful Ammo regeneration, but it didn't in practice.

Why not? If you consider 3 of the 4 CC categories for PCS that generate Ammo, they are conditions in which you can't do anything, so you are already not consuming Ammo and instead passively regenerating it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Waagabond View Post
Not to mention a strong synergy between shield and assault when it comes to HIB procs.
Not getting your point here. What is the synergy specifically?

Quote: Originally Posted by Waagabond View Post
Im considering going Supercommando instead of tech, especially since I can see my shield proccing alot, and I just feel that it does help quite much.
Stacking passive mitigation > Shield, because Shield only procs when all of the following are true:
1. the attack is Melee or Ranged, not Force or Tech
2. the attack was not Defense'd
3. the attack was not a Crit. Keep in mind that Crit Chance can push Shield Chance off the table

Quote: Originally Posted by Waagabond View Post
But above all, I definately feel that whatever spec you do, unless you want full assault, I definately recomend 23 in Shield. Storm alone makes you able to play a completely different game.
21 in Shield is where you get Storm, not 23.

It's why Carolina Parakeet stops at 21.

Quote: Originally Posted by Waagabond View Post
Personally Im using embraced armor for 16% more armor, since armor is maybe the biggest factor in damage mitigation in this game. 16% additional armor adds up to quite some more damage mitigation.
The Armor buff provides a single-digit increase in mitigation against 2 of the 4 damage types.

Quote: Originally Posted by Waagabond View Post
Honestly though I have not checked if those 2 points maybe are more worth spending into 2% damage reduction vs all.
Try stacking both mitigation talents, the increase in survivability rocks.

Remember, the more mitigation you have, the more valuable mitigation becomes. And the talents and tank stance give flat mitigation, not a mitigation stat affected by DR.
Taugrim
PVP Maven, Guide Writer, Host on GAMEBREAKER's The Republic show
@taugrim | taugrim.com
Guides: Resolve | Powertech/Vanguard PVP | Defense/Shielding | Bolster

Lildenjin's Avatar


Lildenjin
01.28.2012 , 09:32 PM | #18
What main crew skill do you run? I went with cybertech but I am really itching to switch to bio.

Corros's Avatar


Corros
01.28.2012 , 09:57 PM | #19
I have to give a thumbs up for this spec! I've been messing around with the Storm+Mit builds since hitting 50 and although yes, incendiary round does make for some good DPS I don't think it at all makes up for the survivability. In my opinion it makes for far more fun and in your face gameplay by going up tactics.

Stock will typically crit for 2200-2600 / High impact crits for 1800-2100 and ion pulse crits for 1000-1200 / Explosive surge crits for 1000-1200 all depending on relics and buffs(mind you this is typicaly in full supercommando champ gear with crit/surge relic). It doesn't sound like much but with gut dot and ion cell dot it makes for very respectable TANK damage.

After Hitting 50 i messed around with builds but quickly fell back onto something very similar to this build and have stuck with it right up to rank 59. It's a very different playstyle from any build that uses assault so I can see it's not for everyone but if your into Guarding and harassing enemy caster this is an amazing build mind you there are 5 ways (between stuns, Storm, Harpoon, and Riot) to ruin a casters day! If you really want to annoy them go get yourself some crafted grenades too!
(▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓[▀▀()╪╪╣ΞΞΞΞ╠╪╪()▀▀]▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

iWopo's Avatar


iWopo
01.28.2012 , 10:10 PM | #20
For your bracers, belt, etc... do you go with the Medic items for the +Crit or the Eliminator items for the +Power
"BOOM! What was that?...Me droppin' some knowledge on ya"